FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Up to 4K for a 2 night safari (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/2029395-up-4k-2-night-safari.html)

Desirees Nov 29, 2020 6:07 pm

Up to 4K for a 2 night safari

I am looking for a luxurious ( not crazy luxury etc) safari for 2 nights from JNB. Is it too low? Maybe I am looking at the wrong places, but the ones I can see are over 4K. Looking at Big 5, Dates June 2 or for 2 days. Can you point me towards anything that fits this.

Thanks,

D

Swanhunter Nov 30, 2020 12:58 am

What currency is the 4K? In Dollars it will get you a lot, Rand much less so and in Indonesia Rupiah nothing at all 😉

One of the private parks near Kruger would seem to fit the bill, Sabi Sands?

vbnet Nov 30, 2020 9:22 am

I'm going to speak from experience here. We did the mid-range camp in 2016, then bust out the budge in 2019. You are doing the right thing. You can browse the Kruger Park forum on Tripadvisor for more recommendations, however, I cannot recommend Mala Mala highly enough. We went to the Sable Camp but you could do the base camp and the price would be slightly higher than the budget you posted but I think it is worth it. I will post the link to my review below. I also wrote a review on SafariTalk dot net. We not only saw the big 5 in 2 days but lions and leopards daily multiple times. June thru Aug is always a great time to go because it's dry season and the animals head towards water.

If you don't choose MM, I would def. stay in Sabi Sands or possibly the Manyaleti. My review in T/A speaks to why we prefer the Mala Mala reserve.

edit to add: Everyone is going to tell you nothing is guaranteed. However, camp placement and number of vehicles on the turf can certainly assist the odds of success.

Exceeded Expectations - which is pretty tough for me - Review of MalaMala Sable Camp, Mala Mala Private Game Reserve, South Africa - Tripadvisor
Mala Mala Sable Camp - Page 2 - South Africa - Safaritalk

TravelBeyond Nov 30, 2020 1:50 pm

I suppose it depends on how you define luxury, but I do agree with the previous poster that MalaMala is a great value for experience product. The location of the MalaMala reserve is key - right up against the western boundary of the Kruger, the reserve is away from communities/fence lines and the Sand River runs right through the property attracting wildlife especially during the dry season. MalaMala is arguably the most productive wildlife viewing in the whole of South Africa. MalaMala Main Camp starts at $985/person/night for a Luxury Room. Luxury Suite is $1020/person/night. Another good one is Kirkman's Kamp by AndBeyond. They have a great area and have traversing rights into the southern sector of MalaMala. Value for money here is even stronger than MalaMala Main at around $755/person/night.

Finally, I'd check out Mashatu in southeastern Botswana. Accessible from Johannesburg by either a commercial flight to Polokwane (PTG) + road transfer or a scheduled light air on Angel Gabriel from Lanseria (Johannesburg) directly into Mashatu at Limpopo Valley Airfield. Known as the Land of Giants, this place remains one of the top destinations for big cats. Lots of active safari options and exceptional wildlife viewing. Mashatu Euphorbia is their new 5 star product and goes for $860/person/night.

Good luck!

acucobol Nov 30, 2020 2:48 pm

Take a look at Inyati Sabi Sands

sweetsleep Nov 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Check out the Londolozi camps. Stayed there in June 2016 and it was incredible

johan rebel Dec 1, 2020 1:25 am

Without further information from the OP it's hard to recommend something appropriate. Interests and expectations vary a lot.

However, should the object be a line-'m-up-B5-in-a-day safari, then any of the the lodges mentioned so far will do the trick, as will a number of others.

For a genuine wilderness experience (or at least the semblance of one), look elsewhere. Within the borders of South Africa only Pafuri and Tembe come anywhere close, but still not close enough. Plenty of options in Botswana, Zambia and farther north. No, Mashatu doesn't make the cut, even though it is very appealing for various other reasons.

Johan

Desirees Dec 1, 2020 4:32 am

So appreciate these responses. I will check out all the recommendations here. Looking at $4000 combined, but of course, this is "once in a lifetime" experience so are definitely open to suggestions.

vbnet Dec 1, 2020 7:40 am

Finally, I'd check out Mashatu in southeastern Botswana. Accessible from Johannesburg by either a commercial flight to Polokwane (PTG) + road transfer or a scheduled light air on Angel Gabriel from Lanseria (Johannesburg) directly into Mashatu at Limpopo Valley Airfield. Known as the Land of Giants, this place remains one of the top destinations for big cats. Lots of active safari options and exceptional wildlife viewing. Mashatu Euphorbia is their new 5 star product and goes for $860/person/night.

OOH, love posts like this to learn of new places!! TY!

TravelBeyond Dec 1, 2020 11:46 am

Johan, can you please elaborate on why Mashatu doesn't make your cut? I've been to Mashatu as well as the greater Kruger countless times. I find Mashatu to be an exceptional product/destination and exceptional value for money. If you aren't hung up on not seeing rhino and cape buffalo, most see everything they've gone to Africa to see. I agree that there are great safari options in Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe and beyond, but for a 2 night trip from Jo'burg, I can't think of anything much better than greater Kruger area or Mashatu.

Desirees Dec 19, 2020 7:38 am

Wanted to give everyone a quick update - we are going with Tinga Lodge in Sabi Sabi.

vbnet Dec 20, 2020 7:25 am

Bravo! I'm sure you will have a lovely stay. Please post back to let us know how it was and what time of year you visitied.

johan rebel Dec 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Desirees (Post 32897204)
Wanted to give everyone a quick update - we are going with Tinga Lodge in Sabi Sabi.

Have fun.

Just to avoid confusion:

- Sabi Sabi is located in the southwestern corner of the Sabi Sand Wildtuin.

- Tinga is in the Kruger National Park.

- Tinga partners with Lion Sands, which is just across the Sabi River from them, in the Sabi Sand Wildtuin.

If you are driving there, make sure you know exactly where you are heading.
​​​​​
Johan

johan rebel Dec 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by TravelBeyond (Post 32855875)
Johan, can you please elaborate on why Mashatu doesn't make your cut?

Apologies for not replying earlier, I overlooked your post.

It does not make the cut only in the sense that it lacks the wilderness feel of northwestern Botswana, Zambia etc. Apart from that it's great. I've been there numerous times since 1996. In recent years I've moved my focus downriver to Pafuri, though.

Johan

Desirees Dec 25, 2020 9:49 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 32910871)
Have fun.

Just to avoid confusion:

- Sabi Sabi is located in the southwestern corner of the Sabi Sand Wildtuin.

- Tinga is in the Kruger National Park.

- Tinga partners with Lion Sands, which is just across the Sabi River from them, in the Sabi Sand Wildtuin.

If you are driving there, make sure you know exactly where you are heading.
​​​​​
Johan

we are flying from Cape Town to Suksuka.