FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Cape Town - any recent info from the ground? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/2028221-cape-town-any-recent-info-ground.html)

josep Nov 8, 2020 11:51 am

Cape Town - any recent info from the ground?

What is the current situation in Cape Town in terms of cases/risk and restrictions (eg. are restaurants functioning normally)? Any raised security concerns?

As per some googling I did, it seems fairly normal with a lower case count than most European countries.

But any views from the ground would be great.

thijsseh Nov 9, 2020 2:19 am

Originally Posted by josep (Post 32805379)
What is the current situation in Cape Town in terms of cases/risk and restrictions (eg. are restaurants functioning normally)? Any raised security concerns?

As per some googling I did, it seems fairly normal with a lower case count than most European countries.

But any views from the ground would be great.

I'll be there in a week's time. Will feed back then.
From what I hear from family, it is pretty 'normal', although there is mandatory mask wearing anywhere outside your own house. And that is fairly well observed, from what I hear.
Infection rates in South Africa in general (assuming the published statistics are correct) are around 35-40 per 100000 of the population in the past 14 days. Compare that with Norway at 100 and Belgium at 1500. I don't know the number for Cape Town itself.

Ditto Nov 9, 2020 3:27 am

Most things are open, including restaurants, pubs, bars etc. and all close before curfew starts at midnight, some will measure your temperature and take your details at the entrance, once inside you pretty much do as you wish in terms or wearing a mask etc.
Some places will (also) ask you to sanitise your hands at the entrance, this also includes some shops/office buildings etc.
Masks are indeed mandatory everywhere and level of observance depends on where in town you are, and I'll leave it at that ;)

TravelBeyond Nov 10, 2020 7:57 am

As a South African residing in Cape Town (I am Travel Beyond's head guide here), I can confirm that Cape Town is very much open for business. Most shops and restaurants are functioning as usual albeit with certain Covid mitigation guidelines in place. It is compulsory to wear masks in public and this rule is strictly adhered to in most places that international visitors will frequent. Public places of interest and tourist attractions also open. Having said that there appears to be a fair amount of leeway given to people out in the open where close proximity is not an issue. It's a matter of common sense and consideration. Alcohol based hand-sanitizers are used at entrances to most premises. Traffic in the usual points of congestion is significantly reduced due to a lot of people still working from home. Restrictions on international travel for tourism purposes are still in place and major source destinations have been graded according to current infection rates. Infection, hospitalization and mortality rates in South Africa are still historically low in comparison to most major Western source markets. The reasons for this are still not fully understood. There is currently a slight uptick on the aforementioned rates though this is not significant change the country’s status. It’s advisable to check with a trusted travel advisor before finalizing any travel arrangements as with all Covid related matters, thing can change quickly.

FriscoHeavy Nov 10, 2020 10:10 am

Originally Posted by TravelBeyond (Post 32809796)
As a South African residing in Cape Town (I am Travel Beyond's head guide here), I can confirm that Cape Town is very much open for business. Most shops and restaurants are functioning as usual albeit with certain Covid mitigation guidelines in place. It is compulsory to wear masks in public and this rule is strictly adhered to in most places that international visitors will frequent. Public places of interest and tourist attractions also open. Having said that there appears to be a fair amount of leeway given to people out in the open where close proximity is not an issue. It's a matter of common sense and consideration. Alcohol based hand-sanitizers are used at entrances to most premises. Traffic in the usual points of congestion is significantly reduced due to a lot of people still working from home. Restrictions on international travel for tourism purposes are still in place and major source destinations have been graded according to current infection rates. Infection, hospitalization and mortality rates in South Africa are still historically low in comparison to most major Western source markets. The reasons for this are still not fully understood. There is currently a slight uptick on the aforementioned rates though this is not significant change the country’s status. It’s advisable to check with a trusted travel advisor before finalizing any travel arrangements as with all Covid related matters, thing can change quickly.

Thank you for the report. It sounds as things are hopeful. We are planning to return for a trip in Feb/March 2022. By then, a vaccine will be widely available and I'd imagine it will much more 'life back to normal' situation.

I'm feeling more optimistic about booking our trips in March/April 2021.

We are eager to return, but only under mostly normal circumstances (being able to freely visit wineries, restaurants, etc and not wear a [mod edit] mask around everywhere we go, including walking around outside).