Wiki Posts
Search

Serengeti Safari Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2020, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
What about Asilia Sayari?

Will it be dead game wise in mid-Feb, or will there be a good amount of resident animals still around?
Old Oct 19, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
The northern Serengeti, like the Mara is productive year round. It has higher vegetation density giving you a better shot at seeing leopards which will likely be lacking in the South and in the Crater. Good to consider Siyari alongside Namiri.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat
Kenya - right now just need the test on arrival - except emirates and etihad require it on departure. To get there, you have to either fly back to JRO and then to NBO, transfer to wilson airstrip and fly to the mara - pretty much all day - or you can get a bush flight that lands on the tz side of the border, minibus over, then another bush flight on the kenya side to the mara - quicker but also a hassle. maybe combine kenya with rwanda on another trip.
Sayari is mainly about the river, but they do have a microbrewery.
Have you looked at Jabali Ridge? looks like your style, you can get a flight from Serengeti to Ruaha. and Ruaha is much different terrain than the Serengeti. .
Old Oct 20, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by AArdvark0
Kenya - right now just need the test on arrival - except emirates and etihad require it on departure. To get there, you have to either fly back to JRO and then to NBO, transfer to wilson airstrip and fly to the mara - pretty much all day - or you can get a bush flight that lands on the tz side of the border, minibus over, then another bush flight on the kenya side to the mara - quicker but also a hassle. maybe combine kenya with rwanda on another trip.
Have you looked at Jabali Ridge? looks like your style, you can get a flight from Serengeti to Ruaha. and Ruaha is much different terrain than the Serengeti. .
The flight-minibus-flight border crossing is not currently possible because of airport construction on the Kenya side. It is expected to be complete in July. The flight Serengeti to Ruaha to get to Jabali Ridge is not currently operating due to no demand. Jabali Ridge is open and amazing but you need to get there by private charter or through Dar es Salaam.

Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AArdvark0
What I was told is that currently the land border crossing post is closed so I wouldn't be able to clear immigration to cross into Kenya.

I can fly direct from JRO to Wilson, but I think I'll stick with a park in TZ. Will check out Jabali Ridge

​​​​​​

Last edited by FlyingFrZ; Oct 20, 2020 at 8:32 am
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SafariCraig
The flight-minibus-flight border crossing is not currently possible because of airport construction on the Kenya side. It is expected to be complete in July. The flight Serengeti to Ruaha to get to Jabali Ridge is not currently operating due to no demand. Jabali Ridge is open and amazing but you need to get there by private charter or through Dar es Salaam.

Thank you for the heads up about Jabali.

What we are looking at now is

2 Nights Highlands
3 Nights Sayari/Namiri
3 Nights Mwiba

​​​​​​We might do an overnight in Nairobi at Giraffe Manor since the GF loves giraffes and we need to connect through NBO anyways to get to South Africa
​​​
​​​​​

Last edited by FlyingFrZ; Oct 23, 2020 at 11:48 am
Old Oct 24, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta, too many others
Go to Giraffe manor. Was there last year at this time. Going back in 2022 when we go to Tanzania. While your in Nairobi, also go to Sheldrick's Elephant Rescue camp. Being this close to these wild creatures made the trip that much more special.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChiefHyena
Go to Giraffe manor. Was there last year at this time. Going back in 2022 when we go to Tanzania. While your in Nairobi, also go to Sheldrick's Elephant Rescue camp. Being this close to these wild creatures made the trip that much more special.
We are definitely going to do both, very excited. Fingers crossed our giraffe manor reservation fully confirms
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to update this thread. Unfortunately we had to delay our trip to the end of May as the situation in Tanzania and South Africa is not ideal for a visit.

Hopefully the situation will have improved by then.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:20 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Just wanted to update this thread. Unfortunately we had to delay our trip to the end of May as the situation in Tanzania and South Africa is not ideal for a visit.

Hopefully the situation will have improved by then.
Probably a wise decision, unless you have already either had Covid or receive the vaccine.
TZ Government has just done a turn-around, admitting there is Covid present. It has been quite bad the past 1-2 months.
You see these kind of articles now every day:
https://www.thecitizen.co.tz/tanzani...tizens-3301076
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:06 am

Looking for some general feedback on comparisons/options.

I was in tentative planning stages for a late Feb / early March safari, including the Ndutu region. The optimal timing was to witness calving and lush lands, but ideally before the heavier rains came. For a number of reasons, the soonest departure date I'd now likely consider for an East African safari is early April. The primary reason is because I'll be fully vaccinated around April 5th. But some other logistics also play into this also.

My quandary is the timing pros/cons of alternate dates. April/May would work well for me, but from all I've read, would be the "worst" (if there is such a thing) time to safari in the Serengeti, in terms of weather conditions and resident animal viewing. The herds are generally away from the accommodations I'd otherwise considered. Accommodations and flight selections seem more limited in general. There's also of course the unfolding situation in Tanzania with the virus (but no crystal ball to know that would be substantially different in 3-4 months). The pros are low season pricing and a timeframe that would still practically guarantee a viewing experience sans a plethora of people and vehicles that at some point soon as more travelers are vaccinated will probably begin to return to normal.

Waiting until late July/early Aug is another option, but it's the height of high season. I'd be doing a solo safari and most properties will likely require a single supplement during this timeframe. The cost differential from low season is a major consideration, as even when the single supplement is waived, the solo safari quotes I've received aren't significantly different than the pp quote for two. And far more people will be vaccinated and ready and wanting to travel in July/August than in April/May. Although it's impossible to predict what conditions will be in August, even with some probable setbacks between now and then, and numbers won't be back to a "full" normal this summer, it seems reasonable to assume that they'll be well on their way. That would likely be the case even without the vaccination factor, as more people want to go during the river migration, school isn't a factor, and many people are opting not to be vaccinated anyway.

I guess my question for the safari regulars here comes down to -- thoughts on the gain of experiencing a safari with only handfuls of other vehicles and people -- coupled with low season costs -- outweighing the disadvantages of expected safari conditions in the April/early May timeframe? I don't think I'd enjoy slogging through mud and rain every day and poor or limited resident animal viewing. By itself, it's not a good tradeoff to me to plan a trip I'm worried I won't enjoy, just to make a reasonably affordable trip. But it might be worth it for a once in a lifetime conditions and an experience that won't be again replicated as things return closer to normal. If that makes sense.

Right now I'm committed at home late May through mid July, so April/early May, or late July/Aug/early Sept, are my planning options.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:28 am

Hi cmtlatitudes,

Why don’t you go to Southern Africa in April or May? You said “tentative”, so I assume you have not put money down yet? If so, then just switch to Southern Africa and do east Africa later.

In the short term, with South Africa and Botswana vs. Tanzania you won’t run the same level risk of western airports or the US government adding restrictions. The animal viewing in southern Africa is rapidly IMPROVING in April and May vs. this being the rainiest and worst time of year in east Africa. And, the deals are aplenty right now in southern Africa. Places like Tswalu (ultra-luxury) are running stay4pay2 through April 30. Other ultra-luxury lodges have special rates in the hands of their best US agents. Many will happily waiver single supplements.

I traveled to Kenya and Tanzania last August right when the borders opened. I don’t think crowds or over-tourism is going to be an issue anywhere in the next three months. I am going to Botswana in six weeks and I can’t wait. Katie Gomer, our Africa Product Manager, is going on her honeymoon to Mombo and two Singita properties in the Kruger ecosystem. She leaves in two weeks.

On my 50+ trips to Africa, in the time period you are traveling, I have been on safari in Botswana in March ’08 and ‘18, April ‘17, and May ’07,’08,’09,’10. You can’t go wrong with this time of year in Botswana and South Africa. Soon I will add April ’21 to the list!

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old Feb 28, 2021, 11:35 am

Hi Craig - Yes, no money down yet. Planning to finalize this trip only at the very last possible minute, due to all of the uncertainties right now. That runs some definite risks on availability and logistics, and might lead to last minute disappointment, but I'm not OK with a sizeable deposit being held more than a handful of days in these volatile travel times.

My reading and researching and planning and lurking on travel forums for the Serengeti trip has been going on and off for 18 months. :-) Unless something happens to the point Serengeti may not be a feasible option for years, it's become more about the specific trip and location for me now, rather than a general desire to go on a safari.

If I'm reading between the lines in your response, you wouldn't recommend a Serengeti safari in the April/early May timeframe, even factoring in the uniqueness of experiencing the safari with an unusually low number of visitors. Given what you know about conditions and bookings now, do you foresee a surge of travelers this summer in the Serengeti ---- due to both rescheduled bookings and new pent up demand? (Assuming other factors stay at least relatively equal to current conditions.)
Old Feb 28, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Right now I'm committed at home late May through mid July, so April/early May, or late July/Aug/early Sept, are my planning options.
April/Early May is rainy season in Tanzania. Never been doing safari at this time of the year so cannot comment on what you may see. While nowadays it's very difficult to predict exactly when rain will start, you are fairly sure to get rain during this period.
Note that in Tanzania (at least around Dar es Salaam) it rarely rains more than 3-4 hours straight, you will likely still see sun every day. But the rain is very heavy, lots of water within a small time frame. It turns everything into mud, and even semi-decent roads can be swept away and turned into mudholes very quickly.
​​
Old Feb 28, 2021, 11:44 am

Hi cmtlatitudes,

No, I do not recommend you go to the Serengeti in April. I recommend you go to South Africa, Botswana or both. I don't believe in the 45 year history of our company we have ever sent a client to Tanzania in April. Late May, yes. Not April.

I think Tanzania is going to be nice and busy from mid-June onward. But, the group tour business is going to be much lower so the crowds will be less for sure.

How much are you looking to spend? I will check back later today and reply with something in SA within your budget range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.