Search

Layover from Tanzania to UK via Nairobi - Kenya quarantine restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Layover from Tanzania to UK via Nairobi - Kenya quarantine restrictions

Hi all,

I know Kenya now exempts arrivals from the UK, EU, US, Canada etc from 14 day quarantine if they have a covid test within 96 hours of departure, but they have left Tanzania off such an exemption.

I will be flying from JRO - LHR via NBO and have a 24 hour connection at NBO. Can I self isolate for 1 day in a hotel and then go straight back to the airport to fly home? Or does the quarantine rule mean you have to go and spend the full 14 days in quarantine even if leaving the country earlier than this?

Also is airside transit still permitted NBO (avoiding immigration controls and hence quarantine rules on entry)? Other option is just wait it out at the airport and sleep somewhere.

Thanks,

FC
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
This sounds risky based on current rules. There are currently no scheduled commercial flights between the two countries. What airline is telling you otherwise?

Why don't you get a rapid PCR covid test in Arusha and have a driver take you to Nairobi in time for your flight? You will need to switch drivers at the border crossing at Namangwa. I just drove from Nairobi to Arusha three weeks ago and crossed the border. It was not a bad drive (I am American and live in MN). I needed a negative covid test result and a yellow fever card to get into Tanzania and bought the visa for cash at the border.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SafariCraig
This sounds risky based on current rules. There are currently no scheduled commercial flights between the two countries. What airline is telling you otherwise?

Why don't you get a rapid PCR covid test in Arusha and have a driver take you to Nairobi in time for your flight? You will need to switch drivers at the border crossing at Namangwa. I just drove from Nairobi to Arusha three weeks ago and crossed the border. It was not a bad drive (I am American and live in MN). I needed a negative covid test result and a yellow fever card to get into Tanzania and bought the visa for cash at the border.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Did you have problems returning to Kenya for your flight home?

Was it easy to arrnage a PCR in Arusha?

Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I have a similar issue. I am looking at a BA flight LHR-NBO with a connection to DAR on KQ the following morning, all booked together through BA.

Tanzania does not require a test for entry, but Kenya does. What is the current situation for transit?
Old Dec 6, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I have a similar issue. I am looking at a BA flight LHR-NBO with a connection to DAR on KQ the following morning, all booked together through BA.

Tanzania does not require a test for entry, but Kenya does. What is the current situation for transit?
I might be late but KQ require a PCR test for transit pax too. They are yet to update their site when I last checked
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Along with the PCR test, one must fill the Health declaration form and get the QR code to show to the agent before transiting or going to the immigration!
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have decided to fly to TZ directly from the UK via AMS to avoid Kenya PCR requirements. Makes life easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.