Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Few things to think of before you Commit for Safari to Africa

Old May 10, 2020, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Travel

This is one of the most challenging year for everyone, from Nations, Individuals, Group of people and business! and in a real sense no one predict the future especially in Africa, tourism Industry is suffering, and may be it will suffer for sometimes! WHO KNOWS? who can predict the future? Till now, there is not reliable solution for the COVID-19, when will it be? who knows?

Questions no 1: Why this year and why not next year? It is May 10, and almost June, we are left with few months before the end year ..... if you really want to go for Safari to Africa, there must be a serious reason, may be you have a chance this year only, may be it is a wedding anniversary (There is another one coming next year I dont know, but make sure that there is a really good reason not to wait next year.

Questions no 2: What is the status of that particular country? what are the updates and situations? we dont know the future, but it is so real that Africa is not affected much compared to other countries, and we thank God for this, but what are they trends, visit the website of the particular country, Cities, especially the Ministry of Health, what do they say? how do they report? how are the prepared for travellers and things like that!

Questions no 3: Make sure you know your health well, this is not a time to travel while you have all other things to take care off, it is not to travel when you have all other issue with your health, and may be add another one and completely complicate your life, and your loved ones, travel only if you are physically fit, just in case of anything you might survive, who knows? it is not good to go blindly.
T8191, ContentAtSea and not2017 like this.

Last edited by maningi; May 4, 2021 at 2:42 am
Old May 10, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sensible advice! ✔️

We do not do Safari, but we do Western Cape wine-lands every year (except perhaps this, booked for December!). In answer ...

1. No urgent need to travel, other than thats our hobby. Getting away every 2-3 months to somewhere warm/hot is what we do!

2. We watch all the country websites, all the time, for our intended destinantions. We are also lucky to have good friends in nearly all those places to give us detailed local information.

3. We are both over 70, and in good health. We are not afraid, but always careful!
Old May 11, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I would add that worse than the COVID virus is the economic impact to fragile African economies which means food shortages and inflation in many places which leads to inability to combat other diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, etc. Not to mention crime is expected to rise as poverty and food shortages rise.
Stewie Mac, naxos, HGOLI and 5 others like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by stimpy
I would add that worse than the COVID virus is the economic impact to fragile African economies which means food shortages and inflation in many places which leads to inability to combat other diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, etc. Not to mention crime is expected to rise as poverty and food shortages rise.
This is our motivation in trying to go back as soon as it is safe to do so. We are looking forward to several trips in the future and want to support the businesses (and people) involved.
Snuggs, T8191, JNelson113 and 1 others like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL, FB, AA, US, UA, SAA, BA, VA, JB, ANA...
@maningi (great handle!) - you're right about safaris of course and all travel in Africa, particularly South Africa. Delay the trip if you can.

On the bright side, I have seen reports about Kruger, Addo, and others that indicate that animals are taking the opportunity of coming out of hiding and wandering into the normally tourist-dense areas. Less tourists and more animals = heaven.
I'd certainly go to private reserves where higher standards are hopefully maintained. Fly into those with private strips. Do not drive anywhere.
I'd also stay the hell away from population-dense areas in South Africa and avoid going or staying downtown in any cities; Cov-19 is still very much ravishing the country (according to Daily Maverick news).
SA goes to Lockdown Level 3 on June 1. Until now, the movement of the population has been highly restricted with roadblocks. There is a 100% moratorium on purchases of alcohol and tobacco. The black market is thriving. The army and police are not the friendliest, or most honest, according to many reports.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by ContentAtSea
@maningi (great handle!) - you're right about safaris of course and all travel in Africa, particularly South Africa. Delay the trip if you can.
On the bright side, I have seen reports about Kruger, Addo, and others that indicate that animals are taking the opportunity of coming out of hiding and wandering into the normally tourist-dense areas. Less tourists and more animals = heaven.
I saw some of those reports in particular lions lying on the empty roads in Kruger. Lions routinely lie on the roads in Kruger, especially the tar roads, and can often cause quite a road block, so it wasn't anything unusual, just an opportunity for a 'story' in the press. That said, I can't wait to get back, with or without lions on the road :-)
vbnet likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:57 am

Thank you for your posts very informative. I want to take, my family, to Rwanda Africa for a two-week vacation. The timing and finances are difficult would have to revisited probably in 2021 or 2022. Hopefully, everything will fall into place but I do appreciate the cheap airline tickets and rental cars never seen them this low.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:02 am

How does everyone feel about 2021 or 2022 travel?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Tanzania has already opened it's air and started to receive tourists, I think it it the first country in Africa, all other countries in Africa are not open for travellers! I live in Tanzania currently, and I think we will observe the trend and see what happens!

I am sure the few tourists that are coming to Tanzania now will write and we will take it from there! but if you ask for my own opinion we will get the feedback very soon about this situation, and I think by 2021 we will be able to travel again.....
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you! 2021/2022 I am sure things will be normal, Rwanda is one of the great countries to visit in East Africa, is this your first time?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Tanzanian authorities announced the reopening of its skies for international passenger flights some few backs, On the 1st June, Ethiopian Airlines landed at Kilimanjaro International airport, and I hope more will follow: KLM, QATAR, etc!

A lot have been said and discuss, but this is a great move? why, we will finally be able to see what will happen, because the few people that will be visiting Tanzania will be able to give us feedback of their visit, and this will give us a picture of what is to expect for the next year! You Can keep a closer look of the report from the TRAVELERS visit Tanzania in few weeks from now, Please follow this thread for the updates!

The government has lifted the 14 days quarantine for all the visitors visiting the country, and so anyone visiting Tanzania will be going through the normal check, and if well, will immediately BE allowed to travel and enjoy the Tanzania National Parks.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HGOLI
I saw some of those reports in particular lions lying on the empty roads in Kruger. Lions routinely lie on the roads in Kruger, especially the tar roads, and can often cause quite a road block, so it wasn't anything unusual, just an opportunity for a 'story' in the press.
Yeah, that story was ridiculous. Those particular lions are part of a large pride that frequents the Orpen area and the adjacent Ngala concession. They could not care less about tourists or cars. I've seen 'm lying right outside the Maroela camp gate, which gate was lined with curious tourists.

Johan
HGOLI and vbnet like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:47 pm

We had a trip booked for april 2020. Obviously that didn't happen. 'we have rebooked for April 2021. Going to Namibia, Botswan and 3 days in Hermanus South Africa. We are very hopeful that we will be able ro make this trip.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Yeah, that story was ridiculous. Those particular lions are part of a large pride that frequents the Orpen area and the adjacent Ngala concession. They could not care less about tourists or cars. I've seen 'm lying right outside the Maroela camp gate, which gate was lined with curious tourists.
Johan
I note the Sanparks press release stating Self Drive is open from 8 June in their parks for day visitors. Lots of caveats etc, and of course no cross province travel. Not sure it's worth it's worth their while for Kruger, having to staff the gates, but everything else closed (picnic areas, etc). I envisage arguments already at the gates, and many being turned away, due to the reduction in slots, etc.
SANParks Opens to Day Visitors
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
I have a trip booked for August 2020 to South Africa, Zambia and Uganda. We are working on June-July 2021 rebooking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.