South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I will report back if anything important is mentioned, I have a friend attending. Will mostly be about inter-provincial travel and rules regarding the transportation of people within South Africa, however they will cover domestic and international flights.
Old May 29, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
So glad you’re here, Flame6301 ✔️ 😎
Old May 29, 2020, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601
I will report back if anything important is mentioned, I have a friend attending. Will mostly be about inter-provincial travel and rules regarding the transportation of people within South Africa, however they will cover domestic and international flights.
Do you happen to know if News24 (or anyone else) will stream it?
Old May 30, 2020, 2:40 am

The regulations about (domestic) air travel have been published - http://www.gpwonline.co.za/Gazettes/..._Transport.pdf
TL;DR:
1. No change to int'l flights, only repatriation/evacuation flights allowed.
2. Only 4 domestic airports will open - CPT, JNB, HLA & DUR
3. All domestic travel permitted except for "recreational, leisure or tourism purposes.", passengers need to provide "written authorisation or proof of travel", it is unclear what exactly does that entail...
4. Only passengers and crew are allowed inside the terminal building, subject to screening
5. There are no provisions that allows drop off/pickups which practically means you can only travel to the airport by public transport/e-hailing

In addition to the media briefing by the transport minister at 14:00 there should be an additional one at 18:00 regarding tourism.
T8191 likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 9:01 am

Some more key points, sadly international borders remain closed expect for essential supplies.

Air Travel:

Air travel for "business purposes" will be allowed during Level 3, but the number of flights will be restricted.

Flying will be introduced in three phases. In phase one, only King Shaka, OR Tambo and Cape Town will be open. More airports will be opened in the other phases.

No magazines or food will be allowed on planes, and people who are considered to be high risk or are not feeling well will sit at the back of the plane. Planes will be disinfected after each flight.

Only passengers will be allowed in the airports. They will be temperature checked before being allowed into airports. Anyone entering airports, including staff, must wear masks, he says.

Passengers will go through "staggered" boarding routines, to ensure physical distancing.

Airplanes will, however, be allowed to run full capacity, Mbalula says, saying that the risk of Covid-19 on a plane is lower than on other modes of transport because there are special air filters which kill germs and the air inside a plane is "sterile".

Airport buses, however, can only be 70% full
brewdog11 and T8191 like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The politics of fear strike again!

The sparks who thought all this up no doubt shine ever brighter than Alpha Canis Majoris.

Airport bus capacity limited to 70%, huh? I bet that figure was established as the result of a thorough scientific analysis taking into account vertical and horizontal separation, ventilation, air flow, etc. etc.

Taking public transportation or hailing a cab is of course much much safer than having a healthy family member drop you off, everybody knows that.

Magazines are infamous killers, covered in layers of germs.

And so forth, and so forth.

Welcome on board South Africa's newest airline: Leprosy Airways, a leper colony with wings.

Johan
Old May 30, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
So if I have a leisure trip/transit planned for late October, should I be banking on cancelling it? It sounds like opening is going to be slower than usual.
Old May 30, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tourism regulations have just been announced. Just gotta love those too!

"Game parks and private game farms may open their gates to visitors again from Monday, when Alert Level 3 kicks in, tourism minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane announced on Saturday night. "Public and private game farms have been opened for self-drive excursions," she said, stressing that no group tours will be allowed, and visitors will have to use their own vehicles. Visitors may not cross provincial boundaries to reach game parks for such drives. Under Level 3, provincial borders are technically closed to those who can not show a need to travel on essential business. Game parks also have to kick out visitors every day; accommodation establishments may still only serve those who can show they are travelling on business."

Absolutely brilliant! Private game reserves do not allow self-drives, and very few take day visitors, so they might as well all stay shut. The Mpumlanga-Limpopo border cuts right through the Kruger National Park, and slices through reserves such as Thornybush, so day visitors had better figure out where exactly that border runs.

"Hiking is also expressly allowed again from Monday, 1 June, Kubayi-Ngubane said, under the same rules that apply to exercise in general, "meaning you are not allowed to do the hiking in groups". ...exercise is allowed only between 06:00 and 18:00 every day.
That means you can travel to and from a hiking destination at any time of day, but can only start walking at 6AM, and you must be back in your car or other form of transport by 6PM
."

Simply bizarre. How exactly does the C-19 virus spread more easily at 5.58 a.m. or 6.13 p.m.? No hiking in groups? Outside in the breeze and fresh air the risk of contagion is negligible, especially if people stay a few meters apart. Shouldn't be too difficult on a hike.

Johan
Old May 30, 2020, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Some more key points, sadly international borders remain closed expect for essential supplies.

Air Travel:

Air travel for "business purposes" will be allowed during Level 3, but the number of flights will be restricted.

Flying will be introduced in three phases. In phase one, only King Shaka, OR Tambo and Cape Town will be open. More airports will be opened in the other phases.

No magazines or food will be allowed on planes, and people who are considered to be high risk or are not feeling well will sit at the back of the plane. Planes will be disinfected after each flight.

Only passengers will be allowed in the airports. They will be temperature checked before being allowed into airports. Anyone entering airports, including staff, must wear masks, he says.

Passengers will go through "staggered" boarding routines, to ensure physical distancing.

Airplanes will, however, be allowed to run full capacity, Mbalula says, saying that the risk of Covid-19 on a plane is lower than on other modes of transport because there are special air filters which kill germs and the air inside a plane is "sterile".

Thanks for the info on this. To be quite honest, it sounds like an absolute nightmare. I hope things improve for you guys there soon.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

Air Travel:

Do you happen to know what the current refund policies for the SA airlines are when it comes to COVID travel? refunds or just vouchers or nothing? If the domestic flight operates but only for essential business, they could theoretically say "the flight isn't cancelled you get nothing" but....
Old May 30, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Tourism regulations have just been announced. Just gotta love those too!

"Game parks and private game farms may open their gates to visitors again from Monday, when Alert Level 3 kicks in, tourism minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane announced on Saturday night. "Public and private game farms have been opened for self-drive excursions," she said, stressing that no group tours will be allowed, and visitors will have to use their own vehicles. Visitors may not cross provincial boundaries to reach game parks for such drives. Under Level 3, provincial borders are technically closed to those who can not show a need to travel on essential business. Game parks also have to kick out visitors every day; accommodation establishments may still only serve those who can show they are travelling on business."

Absolutely brilliant! Private game reserves do not allow self-drives, and very few take day visitors, so they might as well all stay shut. The Mpumlanga-Limpopo border cuts right through the Kruger National Park, and slices through reserves such as Thornybush, so day visitors had better figure out where exactly that border runs.
Hunting is also allowed, so arguably it will allow some game reserves to open, although it beats me why those activities are allowed while almost any other non-professional sport or leisure activity which can be done just as safely much closer to where the majority of population lives is still banned.
I wonder if one has to carry a confirmed reservation to show at road blocks...

Originally Posted by johan rebel
"Hiking is also expressly allowed again from Monday, 1 June, Kubayi-Ngubane said, under the same rules that apply to exercise in general, "meaning you are not allowed to do the hiking in groups". ...exercise is allowed only between 06:00 and 18:00 every day.
That means you can travel to and from a hiking destination at any time of day, but can only start walking at 6AM, and you must be back in your car or other form of transport by 6PM
."

Simply bizarre. How exactly does the C-19 virus spread more easily at 5.58 a.m. or 6.13 p.m.? No hiking in groups? Outside in the breeze and fresh air the risk of contagion is negligible, especially if people stay a few meters apart. Shouldn't be too difficult on a hike.

Johan
And don't forget to close your car windows and not open them before 6:00AM, it is a well known scientific fact that C-19 goes to sleep during "day time".
The limit isn't specific to Hiking, it's the general "excersize" window, clearly somebody forgot that most people will be commuting or working during those hours
johan rebel likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
All predictably depressing. The more SA gets into minutiae the more irrational [or even stupid] the government looks. God help the Nation.
Old May 31, 2020, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Do you happen to know what the current refund policies for the SA airlines are when it comes to COVID travel? refunds or just vouchers or nothing? If the domestic flight operates but only for essential business, they could theoretically say "the flight isn't cancelled you get nothing" but....
Yes, so all carriers based in South Africa offered future travel credit, so a voucher basically. When we went into lockdown nearly every single South African based airline went M.I.A on the customer service front, there was pretty much no support offered whatsoever to the point people could not even request a voucher to be processed. I even couldn't get through to BA Comair Special Service if the world depended on it.

I would also be super careful booking any SAA flights, most travel insurance do not cover the loss of SAA going into liquidation now and even major SA flight booking site Travelstart.co.za that sells a separate add on package for liquidation protection explicitly excludes SAA as well in the fine print - sneaky.

If i was booking any domestic fights in South Africa, it would either be on Flysafair or Comair/Kulula. Do not forget that Mango is a subsidiary of SAA and could get sucked into a mess if SAA goes down.
MSPeconomist and The_Bouncer like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Yes, so all carriers based in South Africa offered future travel credit, so a voucher basically. When we went into lockdown nearly every single South African based airline went M.I.A on the customer service front, there was pretty much no support offered whatsoever to the point people could not even request a voucher to be processed. I even couldn't get through to BA Comair Special Service if the world depended on it.

I would also be super careful booking any SAA flights, most travel insurance do not cover the loss of SAA going into liquidation now and even major SA flight booking site Travelstart.co.za that sells a separate add on package for liquidation protection explicitly excludes SAA as well in the fine print - sneaky.

If i was booking any domestic fights in South Africa, it would either be on Flysafair or Comair/Kulula. Do not forget that Mango is a subsidiary of SAA and could get sucked into a mess if SAA goes down.
Anything I book for this European Winter (SA Summer) will be done at the last minute. It is simply not worth booking anything in advance at the moment.
johan rebel and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE

Would you include Airlink in with the caution on booking SAA or is it independent enough to survive on its own?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.