Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by johan rebel
When did Friedrichshafen move to Austria? And how? By zeppelin?

Johan
Oh God, you've just reminded me that I still haven't updated my profile after I moved to Bregenz 4 years ago!

Actually, I did take a scenic Zeppelin flight from Friedrichshafen last summer and flew literally over my home in Bregenz!

EDIT: Done now - I don't go on the full page very often!

Last edited by The_Bouncer; May 24, 2020 at 4:31 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Oh God, you've just reminded me that I still haven't updated my profile after I moved to Bregenz 4 years ago!
Just gently pulling your leg there!

You've just reminded me to put a zeppelin flight on my wish list.

Johan
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Just gently pulling your leg there!

You've just reminded me to put a zeppelin flight on my wish list.

Johan
No worries! I've been meaning to do that for a while.

I can highly recommend the Zeppelin. PM me for any tips.

​​​​​Anyway, we should get back to talking about South Africa.

I really do think it could go any which way and the best policy for any SA trips is to hold off on the booking. Or of course, book an award flight with a very small redeposit fee.

I can see the temptation of some of the deals flying around at the moment. But the way these measures are looking, there is a realistic chance that you will end up with yet another credit voucher.
Old May 24, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I really do think it could go any which way and the best policy for any SA trips is to hold off on the booking. Or of course, book an award flight with a very small redeposit fee.
This is basically what I did booking some award flights to secure the business class space at saver levels while it’s available. I also have some reservations that were already paid that I was able to move the dates. I have decided not to make any new non-refundable reservations.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mattp1987
This is basically what I did booking some award flights to secure the business class space at saver levels while it’s available. I also have some reservations that were already paid that I was able to move the dates. I have decided not to make any new non-refundable reservations.
It's just too difficult to predict what's going to happen with the restrictions. I would be happy to undertake any trip which were reasonably practical to take, as long as I knew I could get there and back without being quarantined and that there would actually be something to do when I got there. But there are not that many parts of the world we can say that about at the moment.
Old May 25, 2020, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Flame3601
SA down to level 3 restrictions down from level 4, more info on specifics to follow. Alcohol allowed, but no cigs.
that's 180ş out from the info linked in Post #3! However, we will require both

Is there a link to the latest Level restrictions list?
Old May 25, 2020, 3:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by T8191
that's 180ş out from the info linked in Post #3! However, we will require both

Is there a link to the latest Level restrictions list?
At level 3, with moderate virus spread, and moderate readiness, the following will be allowed:
  • Licensing and permitting services, deeds offices and other government services designated by the Minister of Public Service and Administration.
  • Take-away restaurants and online food delivery.
  • Liquor retail within restricted hours.
  • Clothing retail.
  • Hardware stores.
  • Stationery, personal electronics and office equipment production and retail.
  • Books and educational products.
  • E-commerce and delivery services.
  • Clothing and textiles manufacturing (at 50% capacity).
  • Automotive manufacturing.
  • Chemicals.
  • Bottling.
  • Cement and steel.
  • Machinery and equipment.
  • Global Business Services.
  • SANRAL construction and maintenance.
  • Transnet at 100%.
  • Bus services, taxi services, e-hailing and private motor vehicles may operate at all times of the day, with limitations on vehicle capacity and stringent hygiene requirements.
  • Limited passenger rail restored, with stringent hygiene conditions in place.
  • Limited domestic air travel, with a restriction on the number of flights per day and authorisation based on the reason for travel.
  • No inter-provincial movement of people, except for transportation of goods and exceptional circumstances (e.g. funerals).

​​​​​​It sounds like you can:

Get an Uber, but not rent a car.
Travel around but not to different provinces.
Get a takeaway, but not eat on the premises.
Buy a bottle of wine, but not go to a bar.
Still no cigs though.

Flame3601 , please correct me if I'm misinterpreted this.
T8191 likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:43 am

Car rentals were already allowed in Level 4, for those who are "essential employees" at least, no reason to expect that won't continue to be the case in Level 3.
In Levels 5 and 4 one had to have a certificate to be allowed to travel for work (although this was lightly enforced at least for private cars), unclear if the requirement will still be there at level 3 considering the extent of allowed activities.

Either way the emphasis is about stay at home unless you travel to do an "allowed activity", so I doubt "travel around" will be allowed unless for business (domestic air travel will also be allowed for business reasons).

Considering what happened when moving to level 4 (the president announcing sale of cigarettes will be allowed and finally it was retracted in the official regulations) I think it's better to wait before making any assumptions.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
E-mailed the property we have a reservation with for August:

"Thank you for your email.

South Africa’s borders will only open on Alert Level 1 (and then we will only be able to welcome tourists to SA again).

We are currently still on Level 4 and are moving down to Level 3 from 01 June 2020.

Unfortunately it does not look like we will be on Level 1 by August. I would like to suggest that you postpone your trip to 2021 (Borders will be opened by then).

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance."

The_Bouncer likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:52 am

That's ever so helpful, thanks.

I only ever visit Kruger NP, and self drive. I usually take the Airlink flight to Skukuza, after a meeting with a 'cop' on the side of the road, a couple of years ago. I watch closely the news from Sanparks, however given my May trip was cancelled, I am really really looking forward to returning.

I will be returning to Eswatini, and I presume they will only open borders to international visitors when SA does. I have friends there, so hopefully they can provide more info and and when.
Originally Posted by Flame3601
I will provide updates here for those who wish to follow along regarding information that may of not hit the media yet or that might not be common knowledge for those overseas - that i think is worth sharing. I am predicting SA international borders open up by October, SA just can't miss out on the tourist season. I am predicting country wide civil unrest if we aren't open by November, the problem is even if the borders are open by then it doesn't mean restaurant will be open - do not be surprised if the country is subjected to a bunch of ridiculous rules that may make your holiday not even worth it.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:18 am

The Hilton Cape Town City Centre is showing as sold out until Jan 20, 2021. I was thinking of making a reservation for November under Hilton’s free cancellation policy. The DoubleTree is accepting reservations, but I don’t want to stay that far out.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
we had booked the AC Hotel in CPT for the conference I was planning to attend in July ... the Front Office Manager sent an email stating that the property will not be open at that time due to the mandated ZA lockdown, and that they had cancelled my booking ... the points are back in my Marriott account with no action on my part

my TA rebooked all our accommodations at Vic Falls, Franschhoek, Sabi Sands, and Kambaku River Sands (plus all the ground transfers) out to next May, so I'm just waiting to learn whether Kenya Airways and SA Airlink will offer full refunds for the internal flights before filing my Cancel-For-Any-Reason claim
Old May 27, 2020, 9:53 am

Just seen this. Any further details? Subject to change, perhaps?

AfricaNews.com (Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Republic of South Africa: The Parliament)
The Portfolio Committee on Tourism; and the Select Committee on Trade and Industry, Economic Development, Small Business Development, Tourism, Employment and Labour today, in a joint meeting, received a briefing from the Department of Tourism on its strategic and annual performance plans.
The committees note that in level 3 of the lockdown commencing on 1 June 2020, that certain areas of business tourism will be able to operate whilst domestic travel will reopen in December.

The much-anticipated international tourism will commence in February 2021.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:13 am

Domestic (air) travel for business is listed as one of the things that should be opened in Level 3 of the lockdown "risk adjusted strategy", as such undoubtedly some accommodation will have to open.
The details are still unknown, a briefing by the ministers to clarify the exact Level 3 regulations have been postponed from yesterday to today and then again without specifying the time/date.

I would say that anything pertaining to what will happen in December or February is pure speculation.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Domestic (air) travel for business is listed as one of the things that should be opened in Level 3 of the lockdown "risk adjusted strategy", as such undoubtedly some accommodation will have to open.
The details are still unknown, a briefing by the ministers to clarify the exact Level 3 regulations have been postponed from yesterday to today and then again without specifying the time/date.

I would say that anything pertaining to what will happen in December or February is pure speculation.
The government is now saying the briefing will be tomorrow and that the delay was due to incorporating revised rules on religious services into the regulations.
https://citizen.co.za/news/south-afr...ckson-mthembu/

The same Africa News that was reporting the Dec/Feb dates is also reporting that SAA is aiming to resume domestic flights for business travel in June.
https://www.africanews.com/2020/05/2...s-in-mid-june/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.