Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa - possible limits on travel for a long time...

South Africa - possible limits on travel for a long time...

Old Sep 16, 20, 11:26 am
  #391  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,773
Repatriation flights has been running for months now, I don't see any reason why they would now suddenly decide not to allow citizens/PRs etc. to return from those countries, subject to one or other variation of quarantine/testing.
Ditto is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 11:29 am
  #392  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,773
Not very detailed yet, inbound international travel will be allowed from October 1st, additional details including the list of countries will be advertised "soon"


Ditto is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 11:43 am
  #393  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK oop north
Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC,LifeMiles
Posts: 1,503
One would hope that common sense might prevail re the permitted list of countries after a while? There is bound to be pressure to add key markets to the list as the high season approaches
YorkieFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 11:51 am
  #394  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 10
I feel as though I've been waiting for this news for ages. I am booking a flight tonight!!!
thijsseh, T8191 and acucobol like this.
CoolCanuck54 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:16 pm
  #395  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 30,153
No News there, as expected ... the leaks take out all the suspense!

The 72-hour pre-arrival test result will be a killer for many. UK test facilities are struggling to cope with Essential Workers and those presenting with C-19 symptoms. Getting tested privately is possible for some, but the timescale for getting the result is still incredibly tight for the real world. And for us, living ‘offshore’ in the Channel Islands, that timeline is simply unrealistic. Sorry, Mr President, this is no help at all, so say goodbye to the ZAR 100,000 plus we were going to inject into your economy.

I now need to see if we can shift our BA trip to next Feb, hopefully retaining the attached Amex 2-4-1 voucher.
LETTERBOY likes this.
T8191 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:33 pm
  #396  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SAT
Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 4,504
As someone from the US who has been trying to plan a trip, I'm neither surprised nor upset that we aren't in the initial group of countries allowed to enter. I do find it inexplicable that Brazil and India aren't on the "bad boy list" with us.

I've postponed our trip Apri -> Oct/Nov -> June and am hopeful that this will be the last postponement. I've only booked the flights for June, so I suppose it's time to contact the safari lodge about moving our dates again. I made final payment for our April reservation in February and was able to move that October with no issues.
mattp1987 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:46 pm
  #397  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Programs: AA L.T. Plat
Posts: 126
With my flight booked for the end of June, hopeful that it can happen. The issue will be that I will be coming from Uganda to SA following a gorilla trek, so obtaining a COVID test in Uganda will be nigh unto impossible. Let's see what June brings.
nsoltz is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:55 pm
  #398  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 30,153
I think Steve-ZA rationalised the exemption strangeness upthread ... BRICS
Political and Commercial considerations ... nothing to do with Health.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRICS
T8191 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 2:24 pm
  #399  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Berlin
Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
Posts: 690
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
The 72-hour pre-arrival test result will be a killer for many.
Yes this looks like a real stretch given test availability, time taken to process test and receive certification thereof within the stipulated 72h time frame, exacerbated of course by the lengthy journey time which is included in the 72h.
LETTERBOY likes this.
AlienInTheFatherland is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 3:08 pm
  #400  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,773
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland View Post
Yes this looks like a real stretch given test availability, time taken to process test and receive certification thereof within the stipulated 72h time frame, exacerbated of course by the lengthy journey time which is included in the 72h.
Of course it remains to be see the official regulations once they are gazetted, but the current slides say 72hrs from departure and not arrival.
In most countries I would expect you'd have to get a private test at a cost, in NL it's not a problem at all to do so within 72hrs, some airlines subsidize/cover the costs, otherwise costs are around 100-150 EUR
HGOLI and CoolCanuck54 like this.
Ditto is offline  
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:19 pm
  #401  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 3,830
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
No News there, as expected ... the leaks take out all the suspense!

The 72-hour pre-arrival test result will be a killer for many. UK test facilities are struggling to cope with Essential Workers and those presenting with C-19 symptoms. Getting tested privately is possible for some, but the timescale for getting the result is still incredibly tight for the real world. And for us, living ‘offshore’ in the Channel Islands, that timeline is simply unrealistic. Sorry, Mr President, this is no help at all, so say goodbye to the ZAR 100,000 plus we were going to inject into your economy.

I now need to see if we can shift our BA trip to next Feb, hopefully retaining the attached Amex 2-4-1 voucher.
Could you do an overnight connection in a city that would give you access to an available test facility? I know it adds time and expense. But it might work.
cheltzel is offline  
Old Sep 17, 20, 1:50 am
  #402  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 30,153
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
Could you do an overnight connection in a city that would give you access to an available test facility? I know it adds time and expense. But it might work.
Ah, but ... it wouldn't be just overnight ... it would be a day or more getting a test and waiting for the result before boarding the flight to CPT! And we can only fly from here to UK, where they are in testing overload anyway!
T8191 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 20, 5:05 am
  #403  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 22,082
Well it’s qualified good news. The OH (who has SA Permanent Residency) would be able to visit her parents this Christmas, even if I can’t come along.

Friends have done the 72 hour test thing for Cyprus - no big deal if you live in London.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Sep 17, 20, 7:33 am
  #404  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 30,153
My personal problems seem to be resolved wrt December ...
1. Pre-travel testing impossible
2. Travel Insurance impossible when going against UK Govt advice
3. Mr President won’t be opening the Border to we diseased Brits (cheeky!).
... and finally ...
4. Good news from BA this morning ... our connecting flights JER-LGW are cancelled, and replaced with JER-LHR. This means it’s BA’s fault, thus opening the door to rescheduling to Feb 21, or a full refund of GBP/Avios/Amex voucher! 😎 👍

ZA will still be there next year ... just annoyed to have to miss our annual trip. We’re just so emotionally attached to the place and the people we meet.
SanDiego1K likes this.
T8191 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 20, 1:12 pm
  #405  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Programs: AA L.T. Plat
Posts: 126
Provided same regulations apply in June 2021 and we disease-vectoring US are admitted, I am in similar situation to T8191. Will be in Uganda for 10 days and then to SA. No way to get a COVID test in Uganda easily, particularly since I would be flying from Bwindi to EBB on an internal flight connecting to KQ flying EBB-NBO-JNB.

So hope by June those requirements change or there are fast tests available in EBB (ha!) or on arrival at JNB.

Lots of things can change by then, of course.

Trying to remain optimistic.
nsoltz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: