Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:26 am

Repatriation flights has been running for months now, I don't see any reason why they would now suddenly decide not to allow citizens/PRs etc. to return from those countries, subject to one or other variation of quarantine/testing.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:29 am

Not very detailed yet, inbound international travel will be allowed from October 1st, additional details including the list of countries will be advertised "soon"

Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
One would hope that common sense might prevail re the permitted list of countries after a while? There is bound to be pressure to add key markets to the list as the high season approaches
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:51 am

I feel as though I've been waiting for this news for ages. I am booking a flight tonight!!!
thijsseh, T8191 and acucobol like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
No News there, as expected ... the leaks take out all the suspense!

The 72-hour pre-arrival test result will be a killer for many. UK test facilities are struggling to cope with Essential Workers and those presenting with C-19 symptoms. Getting tested privately is possible for some, but the timescale for getting the result is still incredibly tight for the real world. And for us, living ‘offshore’ in the Channel Islands, that timeline is simply unrealistic. Sorry, Mr President, this is no help at all, so say goodbye to the ZAR 100,000 plus we were going to inject into your economy.

I now need to see if we can shift our BA trip to next Feb, hopefully retaining the attached Amex 2-4-1 voucher.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
As someone from the US who has been trying to plan a trip, I'm neither surprised nor upset that we aren't in the initial group of countries allowed to enter. I do find it inexplicable that Brazil and India aren't on the "bad boy list" with us.

I've postponed our trip Apri -> Oct/Nov -> June and am hopeful that this will be the last postponement. I've only booked the flights for June, so I suppose it's time to contact the safari lodge about moving our dates again. I made final payment for our April reservation in February and was able to move that October with no issues.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
With my flight booked for the end of June, hopeful that it can happen. The issue will be that I will be coming from Uganda to SA following a gorilla trek, so obtaining a COVID test in Uganda will be nigh unto impossible. Let's see what June brings.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Steve-ZA rationalised the exemption strangeness upthread ... BRICS
Political and Commercial considerations ... nothing to do with Health.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRICS
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
The 72-hour pre-arrival test result will be a killer for many.
Yes this looks like a real stretch given test availability, time taken to process test and receive certification thereof within the stipulated 72h time frame, exacerbated of course by the lengthy journey time which is included in the 72h.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Yes this looks like a real stretch given test availability, time taken to process test and receive certification thereof within the stipulated 72h time frame, exacerbated of course by the lengthy journey time which is included in the 72h.
Of course it remains to be see the official regulations once they are gazetted, but the current slides say 72hrs from departure and not arrival.
In most countries I would expect you'd have to get a private test at a cost, in NL it's not a problem at all to do so within 72hrs, some airlines subsidize/cover the costs, otherwise costs are around 100-150 EUR
HGOLI and CoolCanuck54 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by T8191
No News there, as expected ... the leaks take out all the suspense!

The 72-hour pre-arrival test result will be a killer for many. UK test facilities are struggling to cope with Essential Workers and those presenting with C-19 symptoms. Getting tested privately is possible for some, but the timescale for getting the result is still incredibly tight for the real world. And for us, living ‘offshore’ in the Channel Islands, that timeline is simply unrealistic. Sorry, Mr President, this is no help at all, so say goodbye to the ZAR 100,000 plus we were going to inject into your economy.

I now need to see if we can shift our BA trip to next Feb, hopefully retaining the attached Amex 2-4-1 voucher.
Could you do an overnight connection in a city that would give you access to an available test facility? I know it adds time and expense. But it might work.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Could you do an overnight connection in a city that would give you access to an available test facility? I know it adds time and expense. But it might work.
Ah, but ... it wouldn't be just overnight ... it would be a day or more getting a test and waiting for the result before boarding the flight to CPT! And we can only fly from here to UK, where they are in testing overload anyway!
Old Sep 17, 2020, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it’s qualified good news. The OH (who has SA Permanent Residency) would be able to visit her parents this Christmas, even if I can’t come along.

Friends have done the 72 hour test thing for Cyprus - no big deal if you live in London.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My personal problems seem to be resolved wrt December ...
1. Pre-travel testing impossible
2. Travel Insurance impossible when going against UK Govt advice
3. Mr President won’t be opening the Border to we diseased Brits (cheeky!).
... and finally ...
4. Good news from BA this morning ... our connecting flights JER-LGW are cancelled, and replaced with JER-LHR. This means it’s BA’s fault, thus opening the door to rescheduling to Feb 21, or a full refund of GBP/Avios/Amex voucher! 😎 👍

ZA will still be there next year ... just annoyed to have to miss our annual trip. We’re just so emotionally attached to the place and the people we meet.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Provided same regulations apply in June 2021 and we disease-vectoring US are admitted, I am in similar situation to T8191. Will be in Uganda for 10 days and then to SA. No way to get a COVID test in Uganda easily, particularly since I would be flying from Bwindi to EBB on an internal flight connecting to KQ flying EBB-NBO-JNB.

So hope by June those requirements change or there are fast tests available in EBB (ha!) or on arrival at JNB.

Lots of things can change by then, of course.

Trying to remain optimistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.