Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:31 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
And the tourism minister is quoted as having said:
  • When government is ready to allow inbound and outbound tourism again, it will let SA know.

Now isn't that a great idea! They'll tell us....
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by thijsseh
And the tourism minister is quoted as having said:
  • When government is ready to allow inbound and outbound tourism again, it will let SA know.

Now isn't that a great idea! They'll tell us....
This is code for:

"Buggered if I know".
thijsseh, LETTERBOY and cheltzel like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Do I decent a touch of cynicism from fellow thread followers?

Originally Posted by W. Shakespeare
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I was also amused by the analysis she cites ...
Much of her optimism is based on an analysis that holds travellers in an immediately post-pandemic world will not want to hop between countries, but will be looking for diversity.
Excuse me? Why would we not want to "hop between counties", whatever that means? She may not be aware of the fact that mny people [certainly on FT] do actually "hop between counties" and indeed continents. Yes, certainly SA offers a wide variety of tourism destinations/activities. But l/h leisure travellers also have numerous other global destinations in mind. SA is not the only destination on the Planet, albeit that the WC is our favourite!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:29 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by T8191
........not the only destination on the Planet, albeit that the WC is our favourite!

I guess most of us on this thread know what you are referring to, but for 'outsiders' "WC" might be well, ambiguous.
B747-437B, mattp1987 and vbnet like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thijsseh
I guess most of us on this thread know what you are referring to, but for 'outsiders' "WC" might be well, ambiguous.
I am flushed with embarrassment. But no longer incontinent, thanks to the skills of the medical profession. 😉
plunet likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Hoping they might hint or talk about international travel 😭😭

CoolCanuck54 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've heard from a well-placed source that the government is aiming for either w/c 21st September or w/c 28th September to re-introduce international flights 🤞
LETTERBOY and CoolCanuck54 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captainmargaret
I've heard from a well-placed source that the government is aiming for either w/c 21st September or w/c 28th September to re-introduce international flights 🤞
Thank you for that ‘comfort call’. We, and our regular Hotels and Taxi driver, need that.

We would need the UK and JE Governments to review their ZA restrictions, of course!
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-africa

Last edited by T8191; Aug 24, 2020 at 11:15 am
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:10 pm
Suspended

This would be really good. As I have mentioned previously, I want to see things functioning reasonably for a decent length of time before I think about going back.

Obviously I would caution against anyone getting their hopes up too much, as even if tourists are permitted to enter, the restrictions may be too draconian to allow any enjoyment.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like to think that those planning such a long-haul trip would have enough sense to match reality with the GBP/EUR/USD involved! Much will certainly depend on how inter-Province and Land travel plays out, and indeed what’s left when/if we get there.

You and I know that Steam in Stellenbosch has gone already!! Where will we eat/drink in December?? 😢
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by T8191
I would like to think that those planning such a long-haul trip would have enough sense to match reality with the GBP/EUR/USD involved! Much will certainly depend on how inter-Province and Land travel plays out, and indeed what’s left when/if we get there.

You and I know that Steam in Stellenbosch has gone already!! Where will we eat/drink in December?? 😢
Yes, shame about Steam. That was a nice little place.

I agree that anyone planning such a trip should be assessing things carefully before committing to the expenditure - not to mention of course, the potential risk of getting stuck over there. That's why I say that I want to observe from afar for a while first.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
the potential risk of getting stuck over there. That's why I say that I want to observe from afar for a while first.
I am going to Kruger and Eswatini. I don't mind getting stuck in either! Not sure my bosses in the UK would appreciate it though...although I could take my laptop and work from home the bush... (currently working from home)
Old Aug 25, 2020, 1:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HGOLI
I am going to Kruger and Eswatini. I don't mind getting stuck in either! Not sure my bosses in the UK would appreciate it though...although I could take my laptop and work from home the bush... (currently working from home)
I certainly wouldn't mind getting stuck there, as long as I was strolling along the beaches, driving the scenic roads and eating steak and drinking craft beer at seaside restaurants.

I don't fancy being confined to barracks for weeks without my booze and smokes, though.
HGOLI likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:57 am

2020 or 2021?
Old Aug 25, 2020, 3:00 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer

I don't fancy being confined to barracks for weeks without my booze and smokes, though.
And looking at past precedent that is entirely possible......

On a more positive note: the 'number of infections in the past 14 days per 100000 of the total population' (which appears to be a significant number at least here in the UK) is now just over 80, after a high of almost 290 in July. 80 is similar to Spain.... It needs to be <20 to get on the 'exemption from quarantine' list for return to the UK. Some time to go, I would think but at least moving in the right direction.
The_Bouncer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.