Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by captainmargaret
He gives with one hand, and then...

https://qz.com/africa/1867165/south-...-to-let-visit/

If we can avoid being too stupid for a little while longer, I’d *hope* the UK graph long-tail is such that we can fly again. The other variable in this is SA not expecting it’s peak until September, so the UK’s situation may not be the blocker.
If you compare that chart in that link to this statement:
While TBCSA plans on reopening the sector, it was urged to focus on the countries of the Southern African Development Community, Africa and the emerging economies of Brazil, Russia, India and South Africa (Brics).
https://businesstech.co.za/news/busi...-south-africa/

Countries with rising infection rates will be permitted before those in Europe (where the majority of visitors are from) who are already past the "peak". Not sure that science has any role in that decision.
johan rebel and HGOLI like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Those can be bypassed by flying, unless they plan keep swinging that economic wrecking ball by keeping most airports closed for the foreseeable future, or preventing tourists from taking domestic flights. Both options would be a great way of enticing tourists to the country.

Johan
Flying is much easier to restrict, the same way it is done now... you have to show some sort of travel permit to be allowed on board.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by captainmargaret
Plenty of countries are considering regional variations to lockdown levels should hot-zones in transmission rates occur. SA have said as much for the past several weeks - and it’s been a hot topic in the UK regions for a similar time.

Any country that sees a sudden rise in infections may take regional or national action. For international travel longer than a week, it’s possible that getting caught out by lockdown or restrictions are going to remain a problematic for travellers for some time to come.

It certainly doesn’t feel like a problem unique to SA.
This is all true, but I think what johan was pointing out was that the article stated that tourists might be limited to certain regions. This could be interpreted as only restricting tourists even once inter-provincial travel has resumed for citizens/residents of South Africa. That would be much tougher to enforce, at least on the roads, and would depress tourism.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:14 pm

If you have a spare 5 minutes, take a read of this by Mfuneko Toyana for Reuters. A powerful report about the devastation of the wildlife tourism industry in Africa.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HGOLI
If you have a spare 5 minutes, take a read of this by Mfuneko Toyana for Reuters. A powerful report about the devastation of the wildlife tourism industry in Africa.
All so terribly sad. It’s more that just people dying from COVID-19, it’s the virtual collapse of what was a brilliant and thriving tourist industry (people, infrastructure, development). I’ve looked, sadly, at the websites of a few places we regularly go to eat/drink in SA when we visit. Guess what ... website no longer exists. SA tourism is already dying.
The_Bouncer and HGOLI like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
sad indeed, but totally unsurprising
Originally Posted by jrl767
my TA rebooked all our accommodations at Vic Falls, Franschhoek, Sabi Sands, and Kambaku River Sands (plus all the ground transfers) out to next May, so I'm just waiting to learn whether Kenya Airways and SA Airlink will offer full refunds for the internal flights before filing my Cancel-For-Any-Reason claim
KQ will apparently issue a voucher, and we can file for a refund after the voucher expires ... Airlink website says "one free date change; ticket validity extended to two years from date of issue" which won't work for the (presumed) dates of the 2022 conference ... I'm still trying to locate the fare rules to see the actual language pertaining to refunds, but I'd imagine the fee is on the order of USD $200-$250 per ticket
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
"While TBCSA plans on reopening the sector, it was urged to focus on the countries of the Southern African Development Community, Africa and the emerging economies of Brazil, Russia, India and South Africa (Brics)."
Countries with rising infection rates will be permitted before those in Europe (where the majority of visitors are from) who are already past the "peak". Not sure that science has any role in that decision.
Not to mention that the Brics are wealthy countries with large populations of affluent citizens who can't wait to visit SA. Zim and Moz are even better sources of upmarket tourists.

Johan
Steve_ZA and HGOLI like this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
sad indeed, but totally unsurprising

KQ will apparently issue a voucher, and we can file for a refund after the voucher expires ... Airlink website says "one free date change; ticket validity extended to two years from date of issue" which won't work for the (presumed) dates of the 2022 conference ... I'm still trying to locate the fare rules to see the actual language pertaining to refunds, but I'd imagine the fee is on the order of USD $200-$250 per ticket
I also had an Airlink flight, from JNB into Skukuza for last month. They offered a free date change. However, given my BA flight was canx from LHR, and the SA borders closed until further notice, it was a bit difficult me to magic up my crystal ball for a definite date I could fly in the future. Despite a couple of emails sent to Airlink, I finally contacted AMEX, and they did a charge back with no problems. I will just book a new flight, when (if!) I get back there at any point. Good luck
Old Jun 13, 2020, 5:17 am

The last comments in the article I link to above, says it all really (my bold & itallics)But overnight visits and travel across provincial borders remain banned under current restrictions. Even when permitted, some operators worry that local visitors will not be enough to save their businesses. “To open for two or four or six people, is it actually worth it?” asked lodge owner Plutsick. “I’ll just be digging myself a bigger hole.”
johan rebel, LETTERBOY and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by HGOLI
I also had an Airlink flight, from JNB into Skukuza for last month. They offered a free date change. However, given my BA flight was canx from LHR, and the SA borders closed until further notice, it was a bit difficult me to magic up my crystal ball for a definite date I could fly in the future. Despite a couple of emails sent to Airlink, I finally contacted AMEX, and they did a charge back with no problems. I will just book a new flight, when (if!) I get back there at any point. Good luck
thx ... if I had bought directly from Airlink using my AmEx, I’d probably do that; not sure it will be so smooth since there’s the TA in the picture, but it’s certainly worth asking her
HGOLI likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:16 am

There is a presidential address on the COVID-19 strategy scheduled to start in about 45 minutes (8 pm local, 7 pm BST, 2 pm EDT, 11am PDT). https://citizen.co.za/news/south-afr...-developments/
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

new changes to Level 3 lockdown as Ramaphosa eases restrictions

"Cabinet has decided to ease restrictions on certain other economic activities. These activities include:
  • Restaurants for ‘sit-down’ meals
  • Accredited and licensed accommodation, with the exception of home sharing accommodation like AirBnB.
Announcements will be made in due course to detail these measures and indicate the date from which these activities will be permitted."

Source

Johan
T8191 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
  • Accredited and licensed accommodation, with the exception of home sharing accommodation like AirBnB.
I'm sure the masses just can't wait to go to the hotel down the road from where they live, as there is no indication that travel restrictions will change.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Ditto
I'm sure the masses just can't wait to go to the hotel down the road from where they live, as there is no indication that travel restrictions will change.
True, but at least a small indication that international tourists may have somewhere to stay, if those businesses can survive long enough through domestic tourism.

Sorry to hear the WC is still so badly affected.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by T8191

Sorry to hear the WC is still so badly affected.
My pastor and neighbor here in Texas is originally from South Africa. I was talking with him yesterday, and he told me the retirement community where his parents live in the Western Cape is getting hit hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.