Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but could someone check the Shindzela website for me? Are they operational/still exist? Everytime I try to access the website I get hotlinked to spam.

https://shindzela.co.za/

​​​​​​
I get connected to a functional website. Home page shows two different tented camps.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I get connected to a functional website. Home page shows two different tented camps.
What happens when you click "view camp" on either of them? The website works for me, but either camp gets hotlinked to spam. (Sorry to the mods, feel free to delete this after, I'm trying to get back to SA after last summers trip was force-cancelled )
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
What happens when you click "view camp" on either of them? The website works for me, but either camp gets hotlinked to spam. (Sorry to the mods, feel free to delete this after, I'm trying to get back to SA after last summers trip was force-cancelled )
I am looking a the Thabamati game drive page right now.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I am looking a the Thabamati game drive page right now.
Oh well. Thanks for checking. Maybe just an issue here, I'll clear cashew and all.

Fingers crossed they let vaccinated people in with no issues soon.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but could someone check the Shindzela website for me? Are they operational/still exist? Everytime I try to access the website I get hotlinked to spam.

https://shindzela.co.za/

​​​​​​
I also have no problem accessing the Shindzela pages. You could try a direct page? e.g. https://shindzela.co.za/shindzela-contact-page/
Their email is [email protected]

South Africa is allowing visitors now. I suspect for the foreseeable future you will still need to take a PCR covid test before entry, even if vaccinated. The biggest issue at the moment for US travellers seems to be the availability and changes in flight routings, particularly the postponement of the direct US services by United and Delta with the added complexities of transiting through Europe or the Middle East (ensuring you have the right to transit on through-tickets and additional or more onerous testing e.g. on the way back to the US if you flew directly you can use a rapid test, but flying through most European hubs you need a PCR).
Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
My wife and I have a trip to Cape Town booked for the last week in July (flying PHL-DOH-CPT).

Hopefully we will be ok to travel (we're vaccinated but understand at this point it's likely a test will still be required).

The question now is whether it's worth going. We would like to dine at some of the great restaurants, and visit the wineries etc. We also love to hike, but obviously that will be fine.

What are the restrictions currently like there? It seems restaurants etc are open.
Old May 1, 2021, 2:12 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by jeffers
My wife and I have a trip to Cape Town booked for the last week in July (flying PHL-DOH-CPT).

Hopefully we will be ok to travel (we're vaccinated but understand at this point it's likely a test will still be required).

The question now is whether it's worth going. We would like to dine at some of the great restaurants, and visit the wineries etc. We also love to hike, but obviously that will be fine.

What are the restrictions currently like there? It seems restaurants etc are open.
From what I understand from family members there, life is almost normal with the exception that face masks are mandatory everywhere in public places. So when you go out for a walk, you have to wear a face mask. Same when entering a restaurant but you can take it off when you sit down. Hiking is fine, but beware the other (non- Covid) dangers of hiking in South Africa. Attacks on hikers are quite a big risk, always hike in a big group.
jeffers, roadwarrier and FlyingFrZ like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
From what I understand from family members there, life is almost normal with the exception that face masks are mandatory everywhere in public places. So when you go out for a walk, you have to wear a face mask. Same when entering a restaurant but you can take it off when you sit down. Hiking is fine, but beware the other (non- Covid) dangers of hiking in South Africa. Attacks on hikers are quite a big risk, always hike in a big group.
Ah great, good news that everything is pretty normal. Masks as expected, no big deal.
Old May 3, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Thank you for the update. Scheduled for a Cape Town visit next month.

Fingers crossed the situation doesn't worsen
Old May 10, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Thank you for the update. Scheduled for a Cape Town visit next month.

Fingers crossed the situation doesn't worsen

Just arrived back from JNB and CPT. Easy entry and exit as long as your paperwork is in order (look on 'TIMATIC for the most up to date requirements). COVID tests are easy to find and efficient, there are pharmacies at JNB before check in where you can get your RT PCR within 2 hours or your rapid antigen within 15 minutes. Any flight to JNB has pre-flight questionaire review as well as several layers of test-result checking before you can even board the plane, and then the test results are checked prior to immigration at a health check station. Dates and names are matched to passports as well as the health questionaire. It adds a bit of time to your travel, but no issues seen at all. Had more problems traveling to hawaii than SA.
jeffers, FlyingFrZ and fishz like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by QT31415
Just arrived back from JNB and CPT. Easy entry and exit as long as your paperwork is in order (look on 'TIMATIC for the most up to date requirements). COVID tests are easy to find and efficient, there are pharmacies at JNB before check in where you can get your RT PCR within 2 hours or your rapid antigen within 15 minutes. Any flight to JNB has pre-flight questionaire review as well as several layers of test-result checking before you can even board the plane, and then the test results are checked prior to immigration at a health check station. Dates and names are matched to passports as well as the health questionaire. It adds a bit of time to your travel, but no issues seen at all. Had more problems traveling to hawaii than SA.
Thank you for the info
​​​​​
Do you happen to know if there is covid testing available at CPT?
Old May 11, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Thank you for the info
​​​​​
Do you happen to know if there is covid testing available at CPT?
We were late for our flight in CPT and didn't look specifically - the testing pharmacies are pre-security and not well advertised throughout the airports - if you don't pass them, you'd not know they are there.
FlyingFrZ likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 10:58 am

The 72 hour requirement...it's before the last flight right?

We're transiting DOH for 9hrs and just wondering where the 72hrs lands. PHL-DOH or DOH-CPT?

Sorry as I realize this has probably been answered on the forum somewhere but finding exact info in thousands of pages just takes forever.

Edit: Just found info in post #1108 that indicates it will be from PHL, as we aren't leaving the airport in DOH, checked thru.

Last edited by jeffers; May 12, 2021 at 11:05 am
Old May 16, 2021, 5:35 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
The 72 hours is from your first flight at your original departure point, not the transit point (assuming on a through ticket).
Old May 18, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime, IHG Spire Elite
Hi all! Has anyone traveled Tanzania to South Africa lately? We are scheduled to go from Kilimanjaro to Johannesburg on June 15, and I have a question about the testing/entry requirements. We are scheduled to take our COVID test mid-day on June 12, with our departure at 5pm June 15. Since Tanzania takes the full 72 hrs to turn PCR tests around, we have to take the test just over 72 hrs ahead of time. Additionally, I'm concerned about the medical provider signature, since Tanzania's tests are all government run, but that doesn't appear to be a criteria anymore. Appreciate any responses!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.