Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:36 am

All the countries that have banned SA flights – or may soon – due to the new corona variant
Again not sure how much this can be trusted, Israel never banned flights from ZA (nor have LY restarted their direct flights anyway), and quarantine was already mandatory
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:01 am

TravelDoc Library should give the most, up to date information
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Jilul
thats a great tool. Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Jilul
I did a couple checks for other countries and found it to be out of date. I've used https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-...ate=2021-01-13 and seems to be more accurate as well as giving the date when last modified.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I did a couple checks for other countries and found it to be out of date. I've used https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-...ate=2021-01-13 and seems to be more accurate as well as giving the date when last modified.
Try and look about CPT, they quote regulations that are no longer relevant yet say it was updated on Dec 8th (the section about "Mandatory entrance application for business travelers"), I would have reported it but they have also made the reporting process way too cumbersome.
Also the part about "Masks are mandatory in public", while it is somewhat correct they are quoting the UK government about it !?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
seems like theyre importing old language about signed certificates. Thats been missing in the last 2 gazette updates.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:15 pm

And the Netherlands have joined the party of banning flights (or rather passengers on flights) from South Africa, the flights from CPT and JHB apparently left empty:
https://www.nhnieuws.nl/nieuws/27813...-naar-schiphol (Sorry, it is in Dutch)
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
And the Netherlands have joined the party of banning flights (or rather passengers on flights) from South Africa, the flights from CPT and JHB apparently left empty:
Qatar and Emirates are going to make bank with all the passengers that will funnel to them for the jnb/cpt flights
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Qatar and Emirates are going to make bank with all the passengers that will funnel to them for the jnb/cpt flights
And ET as well.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto

Well crap...scheduled to fly to ZA vis AMS on Decmeber 26th, returning to the US (via AMS) on January 9th. I wonder if this plan is still doable/how risky it is. It appears the Netherlands may lift the restrictions sooner if airlines require PCR tests before departure. Perhaps I could re route through somewhere else on Skyteam...and pray that the return trips restart on January 1st or before. If not would be forced to take another airline. It doesn't look like France has banned...yet. so AirFrance may be another Skyteam option.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by austin86
Well crap...scheduled to fly to ZA vis AMS on Decmeber 26th, returning to the US (via AMS) on January 9th. I wonder if this plan is still doable/how risky it is. It appears the Netherlands may lift the restrictions sooner if airlines require PCR tests before departure. Perhaps I could re route through somewhere else on Skyteam...and pray that the return trips restart on January 1st or before. If not would be forced to take another airline. It doesn't look like France has banned...yet. so AirFrance may be another Skyteam option.
get a refund and fly QR or Emirates.....ME carriers are acting as transfer carriers anyway since they're not admitting non-citizens within their borders so they probably will not stop flying while everyone else does. At least I'm hoping that's the case for another 2.5 weeks.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
get a refund and fly QR or Emirates.....ME carriers are acting as transfer carriers anyway since they're not admitting non-citizens within their borders so they probably will not stop flying while everyone else does. At least I'm hoping that's the case for another 2.5 weeks.
Thanks that's a helpful perspective. Only wrinkle is I am traveling on a mix of Skymiles and cash/Global upgrade certificate s to fly Business.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by austin86
Thanks that's a helpful perspective. Only wrinkle is I am traveling on a mix of Skymiles and cash/Global upgrade certificate s to fly Business.
Oh, that does change the options. Sorry!
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:44 pm

Germany has drafted a proposal to literally stop all passenger flight from ZA till 6th of January. And then only Germans and residents with a neg PCR test allowed to land.

I just landed in ZA 72h ago. I bought a Miles ticket with LH for tonight on LH575 but I dont hold a German passport nor am I a resident. Lets see how fast the draft is being realized.

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deuts...c-34ebb1b97698
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by bivinco
Germany has drafted a proposal to literally stop all passenger flight from ZA till 6th of January. And then only Germans and residents with a neg PCR test allowed to land.

I just landed in ZA 72h ago. I bought a Miles ticket with LH for tonight on LH575 but I don’t hold a German passport nor am I a resident. Let’s see how fast the draft is being realized.

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deuts...c-34ebb1b97698
you're flying back tonight? didn't think that was possible. you might need a ride on ethiopian. How was the experience on the flight down as far as PCR checks, immigration,etc?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.