Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:35 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by hkDus
Folks, help required... As mentioned, it says the PCR test needs a doc signature. I've had 2 tests before, both came through electronically, with name of doc, but no signature possible. Did you get a signature?
My PCR test (from Wren healthcare in the UK) has two signatures, one from the doctor and one from the 'clinical director'. Maybe that's why it cost £170
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thijsseh
My PCR test (from Wren healthcare in the UK) has two signatures, one from the doctor and one from the 'clinical director'.
I've lost count of the number of tests I've done, and can tell you that they come in a bewildering array of layouts and with all sorts of signatures. I haven't kept them all, but here's a selection of signatory titles:

- Head of Medical Center
- Chief Physician, Travelcare Governance
- Drs. ( short for the Dutch "doctorandus", roughly equivalent to a MA or MSc)
- Laboratory Supervisor

As an OT aside, I've found the Turkish Ministry of Health PCR tests offered at the country's airports to be the most convenient and efficient, and exceptional value for money at only $31.--

An example for other governments / airports to emulate.

Johan
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HGOLI
Speaking of which... I still have my little booklet, after taking the Smallpox jab before moving down to Swaziland in the mid/late 70's as a kid when my dad worked there!

How cool.

I still have mine since birth.

HGOLI likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stuarto
Now that we've lost the 747, has anyone made the CPT flight on the 777? I'm half expecting this route to be serviced with older aircraft / IFE etc as many of the 747s were.. Would love to be proved wrong tho!!
​​​​Not that I'm overly bothered this time but it does grate when paying for a j seat...
It has been a mixed bag of available aircraft recently but those last week tended to be the older cabins. Not much chance of a Club Suite refurb aircraft on this route unfortunately.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
It has been a mixed bag of available aircraft recently but those last week tended to be the older cabins. Not much chance of a Club Suite refurb aircraft on this route unfortunately.
Thanks for the update, much as expected with BA's historical approach to this route, why is that??
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:54 am

Thanks for the update, much as expected with BA's historical approach to this route, why is that??
Basically it's a leisure heavy destination and there is a historical lack of direct competition. Virgin is returning there to some extent next month with a 787 so in time BA may need to up their game ... I wouldn't hold my breath though.

There is always the option of going via Joburg which usually gets better aircraft and then a connection on BA/Comair. This is often a bit cheaper than the direct CPT service.
konagirl2 and acucobol like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:57 am

Basically it's a leisure heavy destination and there is a historical lack of direct competition. Virgin is returning there to some extent next month with a 787 so in time BA may need to up their game ... I wouldn't hold my breath though.

There is always the option of going via Joburg which usually gets better aircraft and then a connection on BA/Comair. This is often a bit cheaper than the direct CPT service.
Yes, I did wonder if competition would help the case.. Is comair still an option? Thought they were in trouble...
Old Nov 26, 2020, 3:48 am

Yes, I did wonder if competition would help the case.. Is comair still an option? Thought they were in trouble...
They are resuming flights in the coming days on all domestic routes except for Durban to Port Elizabeth.
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:15 am

They are resuming flights in the coming days on all domestic routes except for Durban to Port Elizabeth.
Good to know, gives some cheaper options as we go on - as long as the 2nd wave doesn't go mad.. With luck there maybe alternative testing options also by then.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
BA flying a 772 at present. Aircraft are OK, but IFE very limited. BA (Comair) start full JNB /CPT / DUR service on 10 Dec. 4-5 flights per day.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by KenBoffard
BA flying a 772 at present. Aircraft are OK, but IFE very limited. BA (Comair) start full JNB /CPT / DUR service on 10 Dec. 4-5 flights per day.
Thanks for the updates, all being well only 3 days to go now - it's been a long 9 months...
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:58 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
IFE for a max 2 hour flight? What do you expect?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
IFE for a max 2 hour flight? What do you expect?
I think the IFE was related to the 772 LHR / JNB route with Comair connection dates just for Info..
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Nope. I was referring to the BA 777-200 on the LHR-JNB leg.
BA (Comair) South Africa have 737-800 and eventually 737-MAX, and no entertainment on their JNB / CPT / DUR flights, which resume on 10 Dec.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Nope. I was referring to the BA 777-200 on the LHR-JNB leg.
BA (Comair) South Africa have 737-800 and eventually 737-MAX, and no entertainment on their JNB / CPT / DUR flights, which resume on 10 Dec.
I think Comair flights resume on December 9th - I recently moved flights from JNB to DUR booked on Dec 8th to Dec 9th as that is when they are showing bookings from - hopefully they haven’t indicated this will be moved out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.