Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Work-Shy
Botswana has begun a limited opening of its borders from 9 November:

FCO Travel Advice

There is more information on the Botswana Government's Facebook page.
Here is the best information I can find.

https://www.gov.bw/sites/default/fil...11/LIFTING.pdf

Looks like a negative PCR test result is required to both enter and leave Botswana.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Here is the best information I can find.

https://www.gov.bw/sites/default/fil...11/LIFTING.pdf

Looks like a negative PCR test result is required to both enter and leave Botswana.
Yes - I had seen that. My contacts in Botswana assure me there is a facility for a PCR test to be turned around in 24 hours in Maun for my departure back via Jo'burg. Fingers crossed it all works!

Last edited by Work-Shy; Nov 12, 2020 at 10:06 am
Old Nov 15, 2020, 2:53 pm

Covid test and travel insurance

Has there been any thoughts on changing from a PCR test to a rapid saliva type type ie available within LHR ? I thought I saw that mentioned on Ramaphoza's memo somewhere..

Also has anyone managed to get reasonable travel insurance incl covid cover with SA still being on FCDO high risk list?

We have CPT flights booked for 3rd Dec so we need a few things to fall into place yet..

Cheers for any info..
Old Nov 15, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by stuarto
Has there been any thoughts on changing from a PCR test to a rapid saliva type type ie available within LHR ? I thought I saw that mentioned on Ramaphoza's memo somewhere..

Also has anyone managed to get reasonable travel insurance incl covid cover with SA still being on FCDO high risk list?

We have CPT flights booked for 3rd Dec so we need a few things to fall into place yet..

Cheers for any info..
I’m also curious to know re. if any changes to testing requirements, hopefully we’ll find out more information on this when they confirm the dates the announced changes will apply from. With respect to the PCR testing sub-72 hours from departure requirement, I’ve heard some state this is from when the test result was processed, not when the swab was taken (there could be a number of hours or a day apart). If this were the case it would reduce the need for some to pay an additional expedited fee to get results back quicker.

With respect to travel insurance, I think Battleface is good, particularly if those being insured are under 60. I ran a quote for 3 weeks in December when I’m booked to go and it was quite reasonable.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Colossus
I’m also curious to know re. if any changes to testing requirements, hopefully we’ll find out more information on this when they confirm the dates the announced changes will apply from. With respect to the PCR testing sub-72 hours from departure requirement, I’ve heard some state this is from when the test result was processed, not when the swab was taken (there could be a number of hours or a day apart). If this were the case it would reduce the need for some to pay an additional expedited fee to get results back quicker.

With respect to travel insurance, I think Battleface is good, particularly if those being insured are under 60. I ran a quote for 3 weeks in December when I’m booked to go and it was quite reasonable.
There are no changes to the testing requirements, officially it is 72 hours from swab taken to boarding your first flight, PCR only.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
There are no changes to the testing requirements, officially it is 72 hours from swab taken to boarding your first flight, PCR only.
Thanks, that was my assumption too. I think the confusion stems from Ramsphosa’s briefing about rapid testing (which PCR is not)..

“By using rapid tests and strict monitoring we intend to limit the spread of the infection through importation,” said Ramaphosa

This hints as possible changes, but until anything is released to confirm, it sounds like PCR requirements remain as is.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:19 am

Having rapid tests upon arrival has been mentioned beginning of October, in the context of those who arrive at the border without an acceptable negative PCR certificate or showing symptoms, IMO this will mostly be relevant to land borders as most airlines will deny boarding if you cannot present one at check-in.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Antigua tried doing Test on Arrival ... the scheme quickly collapsed after some Americans refused to be swabbed!!

Antigua - Thank you, anonymous Americans
Colossus likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:55 am

Having rapid tests upon arrival has been mentioned beginning of October, in the context of those who arrive at the border without an acceptable negative PCR certificate or showing symptoms, IMO this will mostly be relevant to land borders as most airlines will deny boarding if you cannot present one at check-in.
Thanks, sounds like PCR still will operate for flights then.
I did just check the timatic rules, and it says:
”negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) test result issued at most 72 hours before departure”
This does seem to allude to the time starts once the result is processed (rather than swab taken)? The reason I think this could be important, is that given that testing appears to only be available during daytime hours, if you have a Monday evening flight, you would need to get your test done on a weekend, which could lead to delays, rather than end of day Friday, ie. prior to 72 hours, but would be sub-72 hours by time result is processed.
If there is anywhere written that states they look at swab time, I would be very interested to see
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 6:42 am

Thanks, sounds like PCR still will operate for flights then.
I did just check the timatic rules, and it says:
”negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) test result issued at most 72 hours before departure”
This does seem to allude to the time starts once the result is processed (rather than swab taken)? The reason I think this could be important, is that given that testing appears to only be available during daytime hours, if you have a Monday evening flight, you would need to get your test done on a weekend, which could lead to delays, rather than end of day Friday, ie. prior to 72 hours, but would be sub-72 hours by time result is processed.
If there is anywhere written that states they look at swab time, I would be very interested to see
Technically speaking the gazette doesn't specify either, but of course you also have no control on when the swab is actually processed, so best would be to test within 72 hours.
I'm not sure a swab collected Friday evening would be much different to one collected Saturday morning.

Having had to look at the gazette again I also realized it is saying "Polymerase Chain Reaction ( "PCR ") test certificate or a valid COVID -19 negative test certificate" which would actually suggest other types of tests should also be allowed, however in all press releases/briefings a PCR test was mentioned to be required.

I would say at the end of the day it's all about risk management, if you get a PCR swab done in <72hrs to your flight, you are guaranteed to have no issues, anything else and you risk not allowed to board your flight due to how an airline (employee) interprets the regulations.
T8191 and Colossus like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:25 am

Technically speaking the gazette doesn't specify either, but of course you also have no control on when the swab is actually processed, so best would be to test within 72 hours.
I'm not sure a swab collected Friday evening would be much different to one collected Saturday morning.

Having had to look at the gazette again I also realized it is saying "Polymerase Chain Reaction ( "PCR ") test certificate or a valid COVID -19 negative test certificate" which would actually suggest other types of tests should also be allowed, however in all press releases/briefings a PCR test was mentioned to be required.

I would say at the end of the day it's all about risk management, if you get a PCR swab done in <72hrs to your flight, you are guaranteed to have no issues, anything else and you risk not allowed to board your flight due to how an airline (employee) interprets the regulations.
Yes, agree it it safest to ensure it is within the 72 hour window, as this could be interpreted differently by some.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 2:03 pm

Covid cover

Yes, agree it it safest to ensure it is within the 72 hour window, as this could be interpreted differently by some.
So it seems PCR is safest option to fly, has anyone over 60 managed to get non FCO list travel insurance that covers covid emergency treatment ( if that is still required after the latest statements)??

I've tried battleface but 59 seems to be the max..

This is getting too hard with less than 3 weeks to go before departure to CPT
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:50 pm

Yes. The Nationwide flex bank account covers all claims including medical expenses including if FCO advises against all but essential travel (but not if advises against all travel but that is generally limited to places you really wouldn't want to travel to!) to a country. They won't payout for Covid 19 related cancellations but will provide the full amount of cover if you need medical assistance abroad (including if you get Covid). It costs £13 per month but covers the whole household annually. And they cover pre existing conditions and those over 70 for an extra annual premium paid separately after medical screening. I've recently opened the account as after calling them they confirmed all the above before I did. In theory I could close the account when I get home from SA and have the whole family covered for £26 (2 months account fee).
T8191 and fishz like this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That's VERY interesting, Davesa ... I'm really amazed to have been shown a mainstream Insurance that circumvents ALL the issues I've been encountering!

That's FCO advice ("This policy does not cover claims where you have travelled to areas after the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) has advised against “All travel”.) and my age (76), for a start. Also pleased to note that they include the Channel Islands under the definition of "UK"!

I have a lot to read, very carefully!
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/media...1-nov-2019.pdf
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:18 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
The agent at the check in desk at LHR T5 for BA57 on 14/11 very carefully scrutinised our certificates which showed the time the swab was taken, the time it arrived at the lab, the time the result was available and the time the certificate was sent to me. I am pretty (99%) sure she looks for the time the swab was taken.
The person checking the certificate at the entrance to the immigration queue at JNB was far less thorough (as 'officials' in this part of the world tend to be).
Colossus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.