Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Old Jun 21, 22, 8:39 am
  #1606  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 961
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
This is pretty much "rules for the road" everywhere now. When you have all possible documentation, no one ever asks for it, or barely glances at it and waives you through. When you do not, they ask for it in triplicate. It is Sod's law.
In my more than 25+ years of traveling to/from SA, it's been this way for SA.
T8191 likes this.
jsnydcsa is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:01 am
  #1607  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 567
Yesterday (22 June 2022), the SA Health Minister repealed the entry requirements for international visitors including the requirement to be vaccinated or tested before travel (Part 16(c) of the Health regulations), as well as the mandatory requirement to wear masks or face coverings indoors. No idea how long these changes will take to filter through the Gov websites and airline databases.
source: https://businesstech.co.za/news/tren...-mask-wearing/
T8191 likes this.
konagirl2 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:58 am
  #1608  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 31,150
Good news for many! I agree it may take a while for clear guidance to dribble though the 'system' and be obvious to travellers!

Sadly, ZA is off our list for the coming winter. Air fares are waaaaay beyond what we are prepared to pay ... Matrix offering £4.5k + per person in Business from UK, essentially double what we paid in 2019. So c. £10k before we start looking at our usual hotels. Sad to not be returning, but other sunny destinations exist at a fraction of the cost.
LETTERBOY likes this.
T8191 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:36 am
  #1609  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Posts: 4,078
Mask free!

At ORT now and I’d estimate about 30% of people not wearing masks - I am mask free and not been challenged by anyone. It’s great! (Unlike the weather…)
Stewie Mac is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:52 am
  #1610  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 4,702
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Good news for many! I agree it may take a while for clear guidance to dribble though the 'system' and be obvious to travellers!

Sadly, ZA is off our list for the coming winter. Air fares are waaaaay beyond what we are prepared to pay ... Matrix offering £4.5k + per person in Business from UK, essentially double what we paid in 2019. So c. £10k before we start looking at our usual hotels. Sad to not be returning, but other sunny destinations exist at a fraction of the cost.
We are seeing similar fare increases her in the US going to southern Africa (not just South Africa). Fares for business class going from $3100 - $3300 (USD) to well over $5000 (or almost double).

But If you are really good at finding airfares, you can find non-BA fares to JNB for approximately £2k per person and you can get fairly inexpensive SA and 4Z fares between JNB and CPT. I know not your preferred way of going (no earnings on BA for sure). But at half the cost.
cheltzel is online now  
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:15 am
  #1611  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 31,150
Hmm … an option to explore! Today’s booking to Greece in October will leave us just 300 BAEC TPs short of Gold renewal … perhaps time to stray from OneWorld? Although we would really like to avoid JNB, from all we’ve heard/read!

Time to revise Matrix searches!
T8191 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:32 pm
  #1612  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 4,702
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Hmm … an option to explore! Today’s booking to Greece in October will leave us just 300 BAEC TPs short of Gold renewal … perhaps time to stray from OneWorld? Although we would really like to avoid JNB, from all we’ve heard/read!

Time to revise Matrix searches!
I stopped chasing status a while ago. I believe that you typically book premium cabins (Business or First) as I do. I've found that your experience doing this is at minimum 90% - 95% of travelling with status. The big difference is you don't get the priority with the airline in unusual circumstances (weather, cancellations. mechanical issues, etc).

As far as JNB goes, we don't like it much either. But if you arrive early enough you can get to CPT easily on separate tickets the same day (the last flight is on SA departing around 20:30). The only issue is JNB airport isn't the greatest place to spend 4 - 6 hours. If you are flying a *A carrier you should be able to get your bags checked through and could avoid the hassle of having to check in again at JNB.
cheltzel is online now  
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:06 pm
  #1613  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 961
https://umhambi.blogspot.com/2022/06...a-repeals.html

Covid-19: South Africa repeals regulations on mask-wearing, gatherings & entry!
South Africa has repealed Covid-19 regulations on mask-wearing, gatherings and Covid-19 tests for incoming overseas travellers. The country's Minister of Health, Dr Joe Phaahla, signed a document on 22 June 2022 lifting sections 16A ("wearing of masks indoors), 16B ("limitations of gatherings") and 16C ("vaccination proof or PCR negative tests at Ports of Entry") of the Regulations Relating to the Surveillance and the Control of Notifiable Medical Conditions made under South Africa's National Health Act.
Minister Phaahla said the Department of Health has been working with the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NIDC) on monitoring the epidemic. As of mid-June 2022, the critical indicators showed:
decline in daily cases
decline in hospitalization
decline in positivity rate
decline in reproductive number
decline in reported deaths
On this basis, the Department of Health approached the National Coronvirus Command Council (NCCC) and the National Health Council with a proposal to repeal the regulations 16A, 16B and 16C.
LETTERBOY and konagirl2 like this.
jsnydcsa is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 5:49 am
  #1614  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 15,143
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
If you are flying a *A carrier you should be able to get your bags checked through and could avoid the hassle of having to check in again at JNB.
You still need to pick up your bags to clear customs and then drop them off again though.
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:00 am
  #1615  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Posts: 472
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa View Post
https://umhambi.blogspot.com/2022/06...a-repeals.html

Covid-19: South Africa repeals regulations on mask-wearing, gatherings & entry!
South Africa has repealed Covid-19 regulations on mask-wearing, gatherings and Covid-19 tests for incoming overseas travellers. The country's Minister of Health, Dr Joe Phaahla, signed a document on 22 June 2022 lifting sections 16A ("wearing of masks indoors), 16B ("limitations of gatherings") and 16C ("vaccination proof or PCR negative tests at Ports of Entry") of the Regulations Relating to the Surveillance and the Control of Notifiable Medical Conditions made under South Africa's National Health Act.
Minister Phaahla said the Department of Health has been working with the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NIDC) on monitoring the epidemic. As of mid-June 2022, the critical indicators showed:
decline in daily cases
decline in hospitalization
decline in positivity rate
decline in reproductive number
decline in reported deaths
On this basis, the Department of Health approached the National Coronvirus Command Council (NCCC) and the National Health Council with a proposal to repeal the regulations 16A, 16B and 16C.
This is awesome news. It is already reflected in Timatic as of this morning.
LETTERBOY likes this.
DFW_CK is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 8:21 am
  #1616  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 4,702
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
You still need to pick up your bags to clear customs and then drop them off again though.
I meant being able to use the post customs bag drop and not have to completely exit and lug them back up to domestic departures for checking in.
cheltzel is online now  
Old Jun 27, 22, 11:41 am
  #1617  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 15,143
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
I meant being able to use the post customs bag drop and not have to completely exit and lug them back up to domestic departures for checking in.
Post-customs bag drop was closed this morning FWIW.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 11:47 am
  #1618  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 15,143
Arrived this morning at JNB into a typical South African chaos.

I had downloaded and pre-filled my Health Declaration form, but a bunch of jobsworths manning the queues to health check insisted I had to fill a new one out again using the exact same forms they were handing out. I took a blank form from one and then handed the pre-filled form to another guy who accepted it just fine.

Immigration was another mess. The queue marshal was telling everyone to keep their vaccine certificates out which got some people into a panic as they didn't have them because of the new regulations. The marshal insisted that there was no new regulation and even pointed to a sign that said you needed to show your PCR test or vaccine certificate. Even at the immigration counters, some officers seemed to be demanding the vaccine certs and others didn't. I fortunately got a very pleasant lady who smiled, stamped my passport and said "have a nice day" as the entire extent of our interaction but there were raised voices elsewhere down the line.

So come prepared for anything, regardless of what the regulations may say!
jsnydcsa and T8191 like this.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 11:51 am
  #1619  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 4,702
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Post-customs bag drop was closed this morning FWIW.
That's almost as bad as our last security exiting South Africa at JNB last summer. We had to take every single piece of electronics out of our bags and place each one in its own tray (one for phone, one for tablet, one for USB battery bank, etc). Belt and shoes off, etc.
B747-437B likes this.
cheltzel is online now  
Old Today, 9:53 am
  #1620  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 1
Visa for SA

Planned on meeting friends in CPT in October. My wife is on a Bulgarian passport, so started contacting SA embassy in DC and consulate in NYC about a visa as it requires a full application and interview in person. Received a single reply to "Apply in September" with no explanation or instructions. She has tried for 4 weeks to call (no one picks up the phone/the line is busy/voicemail is full and does not accept messages) or email (multiple emails to multiple people with no reply).

Any suggestions? She is off to Europe for all of August, so if this doesn't happen in the next few days, then we don't see our friends or CPT, which would be a pity. Thanks.
theebigjuan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread