South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
I'm getting ready for a trip to South Africa (from Brazil, with transit in LHR), and I note the gov.za FAQ mentions:
What are the requirements for the 72 hour PCR test for COVID-19?

Travellers intending to visit the country will be expected to produce a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test that is not older than 72 hours from the time of departure from the country of origin to South Africa; and be presented before travelling to South Africa.
The exact wording of this - "not older than 72 hours from the time of departure from the country of origin to South Africa" has me wondering: is the 72-hour limit really measured from the departure time of the first international flight in my itinerary (GRU-LHR, @16h10)? Or is it from the departure time of the first ticketed flight that same day (SJP-GRU, @ 9h55)?

The reason it matters is that, in the small town where I am presently, labs only take samples until 13h00 each day. Consequently, supplying a test sample no-later than 72 hours before the departure my domestic flight would give maximum time for the (slow) lab to process the test & provide results. If the time of the international flight governs, the effective time for that processing would be reduced considerably. And the fact that my flight is on a Tuesday only further complicates things, since sample would need to be collected over the weekend.

Flight is only on 22-March - so hopefully, by then, new rules will be in force. But if for any reason that's not the case, I'll need to be prepared to travel to another city to supply the sample at a different lab.

Any idea how these current rules are parsed in practice (by British Airways and/or LATAM, in particular)?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:28 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by checkerboard
I'm getting ready for a trip to South Africa (from Brazil, with transit in LHR), and I note the gov.za FAQ mentions:

The exact wording of this - "not older than 72 hours from the time of departure from the country of origin to South Africa" has me wondering: is the 72-hour limit really measured from the departure time of the first international flight in my itinerary (GRU-LHR, @16h10)? Or is it from the departure time of the first ticketed flight that same day (SJP-GRU, @ 9h55)?

The reason it matters is that, in the small town where I am presently, labs only take samples until 13h00 each day. Consequently, supplying a test sample no-later than 72 hours before the departure my domestic flight would give maximum time for the (slow) lab to process the test & provide results. If the time of the international flight governs, the effective time for that processing would be reduced considerably. And the fact that my flight is on a Tuesday only further complicates things, since sample would need to be collected over the weekend.

Flight is only on 22-March - so hopefully, by then, new rules will be in force. But if for any reason that's not the case, I'll need to be prepared to travel to another city to supply the sample at a different lab.

Any idea how these current rules are parsed in practice (by British Airways and/or LATAM, in particular)?
I think this can all depend on who is checking the tests in Brazil, and if you read most of the advice on this thread most would say assume the most strict interpretation of the rules as there are many ways someone can interpret some of the guidance.

Who are you flying from GRU-LHR? If you need to recheck and get boarding passes issued at GRU I would assume they would want the test to be within 72 hours of that flight, not your first flight.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Just in case this is your first trip to South Africa:
Please don't think that what the SA Embassy (or any other government official) says is necessarily close to what will actually happen.
TIA, as they say. I would not rest peacefully until I had that actual letter in my hand.
Having said that, I truly hope that I am too cynical and that all will be well!
I hope so too, but I have a scheduled PCR for now. Not sure I'll take it though. Not sure what's going to happen if it's positve. Talked to the test station and they will upload the result to an international data base.
It feels safer to travel with the letter of exemption from the SA government combined with the necessary papers
The information from LH and the embassy it consistent as well, but as you said. TIA...
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Originally Posted by nordboa
I hope so too, but I have a scheduled PCR for now. Not sure I'll take it though. Not sure what's going to happen if it's positve. Talked to the test station and they will upload the result to an international data base.
It feels safer to travel with the letter of exemption from the SA government combined with the necessary papers
The information from LH and the embassy it consistent as well, but as you said. TIA...
How long ago did you contract covid? I tested positive beginning of January and was still very ancious yesterday when taking my PCR as some reports say it can take up to 3 months for PCR tests to show negative, luckily I received the result and I'm ready to fly later today!
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by JasperT
How long ago did you contract covid? I tested positive beginning of January and was still very ancious yesterday when taking my PCR as some reports say it can take up to 3 months for PCR tests to show negative, luckily I received the result and I'm ready to fly later today!
Tested positive in late February so there's a real chance that a PCR test will be positive
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Business Day reporting today the following:
"The government is considering extending the national state of disaster despite the cabinet’s promise that it would end on March 15, because it has yet to finalise alternative legislation to manage Covid-19."
so perhaps not good news for the lifting of PCR requirements?

continues;

"Sources involved in the process told the newspaper that there is disagreement over whether these regulations should be immediately brought into effect without public consultation. There are also concerns that government cannot reintroduce alcohol bans and curfews going forward without a state of disaster in place.

South Africa’s state of disaster is currently set to expire on 15 March 2022. This would make it 24 months since it was first declared at the end of March 2020. While the national state of disaster was initially set to lapse on 15 June 2020, the act provides that it can be extended by the Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs minister by notice in the gazette for one month at a time before it lapses.

The government has relied on the regulations to introduce and give effect to lockdown restrictions, which it has used to curb the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic. Ramaphosa has previously indicated that the latest state of disaster extension will be the last, with the government now expected to introduce more permanent long-term regulations to help manage Covid in the country.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Business Day reporting today the following:
"The government is considering extending the national state of disaster despite the cabinet’s promise that it would end on March 15, because it has yet to finalise alternative legislation to manage Covid-19."
so perhaps not good news for the lifting of PCR requirements?

continues;

"Sources involved in the process told the newspaper that there is disagreement over whether these regulations should be immediately brought into effect without public consultation. There are also concerns that government cannot reintroduce alcohol bans and curfews going forward without a state of disaster in place.

South Africa’s state of disaster is currently set to expire on 15 March 2022. This would make it 24 months since it was first declared at the end of March 2020. While the national state of disaster was initially set to lapse on 15 June 2020, the act provides that it can be extended by the Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs minister by notice in the gazette for one month at a time before it lapses.

The government has relied on the regulations to introduce and give effect to lockdown restrictions, which it has used to curb the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic. Ramaphosa has previously indicated that the latest state of disaster extension will be the last, with the government now expected to introduce more permanent long-term regulations to help manage Covid in the country.

Uggggghhhh
Thanks for reporting. Hoping for the best...that being an ending of the madness. But unfortunately seems my home country too is still under the notion this is not over as the US has extended the masking requirements for public transportation. Now basically ignoring the science they so ademently say they follow.

Thanks again for the update
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 6:13 am

I received the letter of exemption today, 4 days before arrival
It did not really clarify whether or not I am axempted from a PCR test, so I will take a test and if it turns out positive I have the letter which grants the exemption.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 2:23 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by nordboa
I received the letter of exemption today, 4 days before arrival
It did not really clarify whether or not I am axempted from a PCR test, so I will take a test and if it turns out positive I have the letter which grants the exemption.
Perfect! Good outcome and thanks for sharing this.
nordboa likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Perfect! Good outcome and thanks for sharing this.
No worries. I think we all need to share as much information as possible reagarding travelling these days. There are so many rules and regulations and they change all the time without any warnings so places like Flyertalk are great resources for information and advice
Old Mar 13, 2022, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Uggggghhhh
Thanks for reporting. Hoping for the best...that being an ending of the madness. But unfortunately seems my home country too is still under the notion this is not over as the US has extended the masking requirements for public transportation. Now basically ignoring the science they so ademently say they follow.

Thanks again for the update
When I last entered SA at Cape Town in early February my PCR test was checked in a cursory fashion by a clerk before you pass immigration. SA stopped most of the nonsense before the UK did. They are currently considering changing the pcr requirements for entry.
Mask wearing in grocery stores and large shopping centers etc is still seen, but most don't bother in restaurants and small shops, etc. Never once upon entering a restaurant in the past month was I told to wear a mask. Most in the townships never wore them at all.
In SA, the vaccination rates are very low (less than 35 percent) but the death rates continue to fall anyway. Nobody I know here who did get a shot would even consider another. According to a medical professional I know in CT, of those in the hospital related to covid most are vaccinated. Everyone knows the lockdown was a failure also, except to drive the unemployment rates up further. The government is fully aware that they have bigger problems (such as keeping the lights on and the tourists coming).
Tells us something.
A couple of FT posters from the UK continue to push the vaccination/mask mantra here. It's sad really.
LETTERBOY and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well, here we are on the 15th and I'm having a tough time finding any news about the expiring emergency distaster online. Anyone hearing news about updated information going forward?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just found this article. Seems it is extended another month. No mention of PCR testing, so I'm guessing nothing changes there.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/tren...year-mark/amp/
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:42 am

Does anyone know if home PCR tests for South Africa is acceptable? I haven't been able to find that. Hoping they will announce an end to PCR testing soon before our trip but as of yet, nothing...
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:49 am

It’s very clear that you need a test from a medical clinic.
with the physicians name, address and contact info
I’m travelling to Johannesburg now and they checked all my papers at check in in Oslo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.