Where to stay in Victoria Falls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

I'm looking at doing a 2 week trip down to Africa and thinking about doing 2/3 nights at the Falls, with a day safari to Chobe. Would likely travel late November. Travelling solo and not looking to spend more than $600 per day for accommodation, meals and activities (besides Chobe). I do like the all inclusive style from many of the safari lodges and would like to be able to just show up. Seeking recommendations for where to stay with an all inclusive package, or cheaper options that are still nice and still have a local feel, with suggestions for companies to book local activities with.
Currently considering the Gorges Lodge in Zimbabwe and The River Club on the Zambia side. Also interested in the Protea as rates are reasonable and I have Marriott Gold.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
You are very optimistic for an overseas international travel.
2021 seems to be the strict minimum for planning non essential trips.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Have a look in the TR forum. nancypants recently wrote a very long and good report.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Have a look in the TR forum. nancypants recently wrote a very long and good report.
It's a huge semi-live TR, starting here >>> TRIP REPORT: The big Europe (via Africa) trip 2019- TL, QF, JQ, BA, IB, VY, LM

The African bit starts at this post, and continues onward >>> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31693250-post151.html
Also usefully Indexed in the first post, with links.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Originally Posted by T8191
It's a huge semi-live TR, starting here >>> TRIP REPORT: The big Europe (via Africa) trip 2019- TL, QF, JQ, BA, IB, VY, LM

The African bit starts at this post, and continues onward >>> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31693250-post151.html
Also usefully Indexed in the first post, with links.
Appreciate the link but the TR isn't great for evaluating hotel options, which is what I primarily looking for.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
With your budget, the Royal Livingstone would be my pick. The view from the deck with a drink in hand is incredible. The Avani is a cheaper option, it’s fine, and you can still use the deck and walk over. The falls are much nicer on the Zimbabwe side of course, you can walk over or take a cab. Just make sure you get the visa that allows you to move around (forgot the name)
Old May 10, 2020, 3:57 pm

Stay at the Protea. Decent hotel especially for the price. Get the Kaza Univisa, which allows back and forth between Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:33 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vitaminJ
Stay at the Protea. Decent hotel especially for the price. Get the Kaza Univisa, which allows back and forth between Zambia and Zimbabwe.
I was only on the Zim side; what reason would there be to visit the Zam side?

For example, is the contrast as striking as viewing Iguazu from Brazil and Argentina?
Old May 18, 2020, 4:25 pm

The best view is from the Zim side, IMO.

There are more services available in Livingtstone.

If you get the Univisa, it also give you access to Botswana and Chobe for day trips. I took a one-day safari with Kalahari Tours to Chobe and it was amazing.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I was only on the Zim side; what reason would there be to visit the Zam side?

For example, is the contrast as striking as viewing Iguazu from Brazil and Argentina?
Devil’s Pool
Old May 21, 2020, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just the walk across the bridge is worth the visa price and immigration experience! Zambia side is good for Devils pool and just getting closer to the river. Seems quieter than the Zim side too.

We stayed at the Vic Falls Safari Club. It’s a bit cheesy Disneyfied Africa but still nice to have a drink and watch the waterhole at sunset. Sadly the Vic Falls Hotel was full when we visited. Family friends enjoyed the Royal Livingstone.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Just the walk across the bridge is worth the visa price and immigration experience! Zambia side is good for Devils pool and just getting closer to the river. Seems quieter than the Zim side too.

We stayed at the Vic Falls Safari Club. It’s a bit cheesy Disneyfied Africa but still nice to have a drink and watch the waterhole at sunset. Sadly the Vic Falls Hotel was full when we visited. Family friends enjoyed the Royal Livingstone.
Agreed. Just walking across the bridge from the Zambian side to the Zim side was worth it. Bought my “billion dollar bill” on the Zim side. We stayed two nights at the Royal Livingstone and were quite happy there.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
I have been to Victoria Falls countless times dating back to 1984 when I was 13. I have been to both sides of the Falls and just about visited in every month of the year. My last November trip was on the Zambia side in 2017. A few things to keep in mind.
  1. November is historically the time of lowest volumetric flow rate for the Zambezi River. There could be a trickle going over the Zambia side and it could even be in a no-flow situation. Devil’s Pool will most certainly be open and it is accessed from Royal Livingstone and therefore only on the Zambia side. It did this experience in September 2012.
  2. The Zimbabwe side has never dried up in recent history and has always had flow in the Devil’s and Main cataract. They also have about 800 meters of falls frontage with multiple viewing points. I recommend the Zimbabwe side in November and visit Zambia if you want Devil’s Pool. It will sell out so you must pre-book.

If you are looking for hotel accommodations in town, I like the Stable Wing Rooms at the Victoria Falls Hotel. I also like the Deluxe Rooms at Ilala Lodge which are in your price range. Mpala Jena is, in my opinion, the most upscale safari lodge style place on the Zimbabwe side. It is outside your budget so you might want to consider Victoria Falls River Lodge or Old Drift. All are upstream from the Falls, out of town, and in a national park. Old Drift should be in your range. You might also consider Elephant Camp and Stanley & Livingstone. S&L is part of More Hotels and I love this chain!

Do the day trip to Chobe as soon as possible in November as the elephants will indeed disappear some time in the month. They leave the waterfront in Oct or Nov and don’t come back until the following May/June.

Here is what I suggest based on your budget comment:
  • Day 1 Arrive Jo’burg. Overnight Southern Sun OR Tambo.
  • Day 2 Fly to Victoria Falls and stay at Old Drift.
  • Day 3 Day trip to Chobe with private guide.
  • Day 4 Visit Devil’s pool in the morning and drop off at Livingstone/LVI for flight to Nelspruit/MQP. On arrival, transfer to Sabi Sands for 3-4 night safari. Maybe use the solo room at MalaMala? Out of budget but could be splurge. With stay4pay3 works out to 750 per night.
  • Day 8 Transfer by road to Rockfig or transfer by air to Mashatu. Spend final four nights on safari
  • Day 12 Fly home via Johannesburg.
You should also consider a safari in Hwange from Victoria Falls and perhaps replace Rockfig or Mashatu with Davisons Camp or Little Makalolo.Shout if you need anything. I have been to Africa on safari over 45 times.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old May 22, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SafariCraig
Here is what I suggest based on your budget comment:
  • Day 1 Arrive Jo’burg. Overnight Southern Sun OR Tambo.
  • Day 2 Fly to Victoria Falls and stay at Old Drift.
  • Day 3 Day trip to Chobe with private guide.
  • Day 4 Visit Devil’s pool in the morning and drop off at Livingstone/LVI for flight to Nelspruit/MQP. On arrival, transfer to Sabi Sands for 3-4 night safari. Maybe use the solo room at MalaMala? Out of budget but could be splurge. With stay4pay3 works out to 750 per night.
  • Day 8 Transfer by road to Rockfig or transfer by air to Mashatu. Spend final four nights on safari
  • Day 12 Fly home via Johannesburg.
I have never been to Vic Falls, and this July's planned trip has fallen victim to the global health crisis, but the only suggestion I might offer would be to fly US-JNB-VFA as a continuous trip ... this would allow remaining airside at JNB for the international-to-international connection (i.e., not having to clear customs and immigration just for the overnight) (we were booked US-JNB-LVI with a 1+45 layover, BA to Comair)

Last edited by jrl767; May 22, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Old May 22, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

So i've decided to shift this trip to 2021, but still appreciate everyones advice. Will help when I book next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.