Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy flights to JoBurg

Old Jan 25, 20, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Currently searching for PE flights to JoBurg. Iím in Los Angeles but open to an open jaw ticket. Any one have any search advice?
Old Jan 25, 20, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by tduvicross View Post
Hi everyone,

Currently searching for PE flights to JoBurg. Iím in Los Angeles but open to an open jaw ticket. Any one have any search advice?
You can use something like Google Flights but I personally use ITA Software Matrix search.

PE fares typically are unique fare classes for each airline. I would use the ITA Matrix web site to search for these fares. I would do this instead of using their search for Premium Economy fares.

Look at the discussion starting with post #1961 in the following thread:

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

That discussion is for avoiding basic economy fares but you can easily use the same logic to search for PE face classes.

There are also tools that can be used to go directly to an airline or OTA website to complete the booking.
Old Jan 25, 20, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Cheltzel!

I have never heard of ITA. Can I ask what OTA is an acronym for? Iím usually pretty lucky and good at being patient with finding good fares but PE to Africa is a new kind of beast.
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:52 pm
Community Director

Flights are often more affordable returning from southern Africa than flying there especially for premium cabins. Check pricing on one way tickets and see what works for you.
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never heard of ITA.
Can I ask what OTA is an acronym for?
I’m usually pretty lucky and good at being patient with finding good fares but PE to Africa is a new kind of beast.
OTA = Online travel agent (who are computer programmers and not real travel agents)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

Work backwards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._R._...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_T...tional_Airport
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:39 pm

Any preferences when to travel, how long to stay, etc.? I personally use Google Flights for this purpose ... Just did a random search - the lowest price I could find for a 7-day trip is Ä1,134 on VS via LHR in March.
Old Jan 25, 20, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

MichaelA330

Yes I was looking at beginning of July...for sure to be situated and half past the jet lag on July 5th which is my birthday and to stay for 12 days. Iím flexible though. Apologies, VS? Which airline is that? One of the problems Iíve had is encountering these ďmixed cabin faresĒ Or products that arenít true PE but marketed as such (eg delta comfort +). I think I need to start anonymizing when I search?
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I was looking at beginning of July...for sure to be situated and half past the jet lag on July 5th which is my birthday and to stay for 12 days. I’m flexible though. Apologies, VS? Which airline is that? One of the problems I’ve had is encountering these “mixed cabin fares” Or products that aren’t true PE but marketed as such (eg delta comfort +). I think I need to start anonymizing when I search?
VS = Virgin Atlantic

As you have noticed need to careful about a real premium economy vs an economy plus (economy with more legroom).
But no real common definition of what PE is. Ecomony plus has a lot airline jargon names
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
VS = Virgin Atlantic

As you have noticed need to careful about a real premium economy vs an economy plus (economy with more legroom).
But no real common definition of what PE is. Ecomony plus has a lot airline jargon names
+1

For the OP, I was also talking getting PE on airlines that sell PE as a distinct class of service as opposed to what US domestic carriers sell as standard economy with 2 to 4 more inches of leg room. Other than that the same service class. I know that US domestic carriers are moving into have a PE product as having a class of service. But that would fit in for finding the PE product on European and Asian carriers that sell it.

The Matrix Airfare Search by ITA Software (now part of Google) is a more complex and powerful airfare search tool than say Google Flights. It has its nuances and there is a learning curve. But IMO if you invest the time in learning how to use it, you will be rewarded with being able to find routings and flight combinations that other search tools will not find.

I have helped people find PE flights to ZA in the past and I was surprised to find how expensive they were. Do not be surprised that your PE flights are within $300 - $600 of a business class ticket. For example, if you were to fly between LAX and JNB, departing July 26 and returning August 8, your typical PE fares will be around $3200 on most European carriers. For the same dates you can fly QR business (and QSuites!!) for $3700.

You may be able to get a deal on PE flights on some TPAC carriers being on the west coast or on code shares within an alliance (like UA on LH flights or IB on BA flights). But that will be dependent on dates.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: