Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

First time to Morocco - Casablanca or Marrakech?

Old Jan 13, 20, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others

My partner and I have a three-day window in advance of a flight back to the USA from Casablanca and are trying to figure out where we should go in Morocco beforehand. We like art and markets and cheap eats, which makes me think Marrakech might be the better option. Happy to provide more details if it would help others offer advice.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
My partner and I have a three-day window in advance of a flight back to the USA from Casablanca and are trying to figure out where we should go in Morocco beforehand. We like art and markets and cheap eats, which makes me think Marrakech might be the better option. Happy to provide more details if it would help others offer advice.
If you've never been, go to Marrakesh where you'll find most of this. Casablanca is a big city with some things worth seeing, like the Hassan II Mosque or the Habous neighborhood - the Corniche is good for a walk as well. But otherwise, it's shopping and good restaurants, that are primarily addressing upper class & expats, but not tourists. I'm not saying you won't have a nice time in Casa, but nothing more than what you could expect in any large, international city.

Marrakesh on the other hand, is a more "original" experience, though it's also full of tourist scams Prepare beforehand where you want to go in the city, and avoid eating at Jemma El Fna square as hygiene is not ideal. The city, even if you're there for 3 days, is also a good place to explore the desert, or to consider exploring Essaouira (for 1 night) or Lala Takerskout lake (for the day).

Happy to recommend anything specific.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: