Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Travel from Marrakesh to Casablanca Airport

Old Jan 12, 20, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

We are spending a week in Morocco in March, returning to the US from Marrakesh via a transatlantic AT flight from CMN. Our agent has suggested a private car transfer from Marrakesh to the airport in CMN rather
than connecting on the AT flight from Marrakesh. There was some talk about the airport not being particularly inviting and frequently delayed flights. On the other hand, I don't love sitting in cars for drives
over an hour or so. Does anyone have any thoughts on which option might be more comfortable? Price is not a factor in this case. TIA.
Old Jan 12, 20, 3:41 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

During a random week in April, I found 6 AT flights per day from RAK to CMN, 80€ in M and 160€ in D. Given that, I would never choose a drive ... just take a flight that provides you with sufficient time comfort.
Old Jan 13, 20, 6:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Mickidon View Post
We are spending a week in Morocco in March, returning to the US from Marrakesh via a transatlantic AT flight from CMN. Our agent has suggested a private car transfer from Marrakesh to the airport in CMN rather
than connecting on the AT flight from Marrakesh. There was some talk about the airport not being particularly inviting and frequently delayed flights. On the other hand, I don't love sitting in cars for drives
over an hour or so. Does anyone have any thoughts on which option might be more comfortable? Price is not a factor in this case. TIA.
The ride from RAK to CMN is nice and smooth though - if given the choice, I'd probably drive, as you clearly don't save a lot of time by flying (it's roughly 2:30 with the highway, almost always empty, and CMN is before Casablanca, so you don't have to get into the city. IIRC, RAK-CMN flights have a tendency to be cancelled more than other flights - however, if this is part of a single trip, you'll be reprotected by RAM if there is a missed connection.
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:42 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Probably not the quickest option, but another option is taking the train.
cargueiro likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 4:02 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond, Mileage Plan member, HHonors Gold
The train is quite pleasant but a bit slow. Preferable to driving or flying though...
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Probably not the quickest option, but another option is taking the train.
I think the train brings you to Casa Voyageur in the city though. You can connect to the train to the airport but there is only 1/hour IIRC. On the other hand, if you leave RAK early in the morning (I think the US flight leave late afternoon or evening) it could give you a bit of time to explore Casablanca (perhaps go the Corniche to have lunch, explore the Hassan II mosque or the Habous).
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone....I started with two options and now I have four, all of which I am considering. One question on the flight connection: would taking the plane from Marraskesh save most of the formalities at CMN, or will we have to repeat security and do all immigration
procedures there again? My biggest problem with the drive is that I'm having a back issue right now that is making prolonged sitting not ideal.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its a domestic flight so no immigration! But you will still have to pass through security again.

Personally id take the car transfers and allow extra time for a couple of stops to help with your back.
Old Jan 17, 20, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Can anyone recommend a driver from Marrakesh to CMN?
Old Jan 18, 20, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
Can anyone recommend a driver from Marrakesh to CMN?
Id ask your accommodation to source someone. Improved the reliability and gives comeback in case of issues.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: