FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Visa on arrival at Windhoek, Namibia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/2002761-visa-arrival-windhoek-namibia.html)

spryam Jan 5, 2020 6:29 am

Visa on arrival at Windhoek, Namibia

Has anyone done this? How lengthy of a process is It? Coming from JNB. US citizen.

cargueiro Jan 5, 2020 9:48 am

Tends to take upto 30 mins if you are in back of aircraft in economy and most other pax get in line in front of you.

Palal Jan 6, 2020 2:07 pm

As I recall, the process was efficient (by African standards).

If you're going to the desert, rent a 4x4 or risk skidding and crashing on an unpaved road full of sand :) (learned that the hard way)

RCyyz Jan 6, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm just back from Namibia; had a great time there! To echo Palal, if you intend on driving in Namibia you should rent a high-clearance vehicle that's either 4x4 or AWD-capable. Most people drive a Toyota Hilux (pickup truck). This is an ideal vehicle for getting around Namibia's numerous gravel "C" roads. Renting a normal car is a great way to get into trouble that you can avoid by simply renting a Hilux instead.

With respect to visas, as a Canadian I didn't need one. They simply stamped the passport as I entered Namibia and again when I left. The process of getting in was to fill out a one-page form with the usual questions - name, nationality, DOB, passport #, arriving flight # etc. You're requested to list where you're staying in Namibia. I just put "Windhoek" as that was an accurate response for my first night. You're also asked how much $$$ you'll be spending while in country. I had absolutely no idea so I just put down some nominal amount; I think I may have put $10,000 Namibian or something like that. Once you've filled your form, you line up and wait your turn for an officer to do whatever it is they do once they take the form from you. I was amongst the first off the plane and the whole process took about 10 min. I wasn't asked any questions about why I had filled out the form the way I did.

When you leave Namibia, you need to fill out the exact same form. So for address in Namibia, I just put down "departing today" and I didn't put anything for the how much money are you spending. Again, no questions asked once I handed in the form.

On the whole, it's adequately efficient. It helped that the form was passed out on the plane so by the time we landed I had it all filled out and ready to go.

Palal Jan 7, 2020 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz (Post 31917718)
With respect to visas, as a Canadian I didn't need one. They simply stamped the passport as I entered Namibia and again when I left. The process of getting in was to fill out a one-page form with the usual questions - name, nationality, DOB, passport #, arriving flight # etc. You're requested to list where you're staying in Namibia. I just put "Windhoek" as that was an accurate response for my first night. You're also asked how much $$$ you'll be spending while in country. I had absolutely no idea so I just put down some nominal amount; I think I may have put $10,000 Namibian or something like that. Once you've filled your form, you line up and wait your turn for an officer to do whatever it is they do once they take the form from you. I was amongst the first off the plane and the whole process took about 10 min. I wasn't asked any questions about why I had filled out the form the way I did.

Same deal for Americans

JetSetDave Jan 11, 2020 3:06 pm

Namibia offers visa-free travel for USA passport holders and you're supposedly required to have at least 6 blank pages in your passport. The South African immigration officer checked my passport pages when I arrived at CPT, also had to show proof of outbound flights upon exiting South Africa and Namibia since my itineraries were booked as separate one ways.

I highly recommend Safari Car Rental, the non-camping Hi-Lux pickup I rented was like new and had zero issues, no flats after driving 1500 km on gravel and paved roads. They offer a free airport pick up with a name sign at immigration exit and drop off. If you're arriving from South Africa, the South African Rand is widely accepted in Namibia, no need to exchange into Namibia currency.