Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe - African 4 corners - Is it feasible?

Old Nov 24, 19, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I will be at Victoria falls (Zambian side) in June next year, and noticed this is quite near to the point where Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana all meet (essentially the African four corners), and I would absolutely love to visit this for the novelty factor.

Checking online, I am still unsure as to whether it is feasible. I see there is a ferry between the Zambian and Botswanan sides however the reviews do not seem great and it is going to be replaced soon by a bridge anyway.

Is it possible to hire a small boat to take me to the point where the 4 meet?

I do know this comes across as a quite a strange thing to do but I do have a very irrational fascination with borders.

Thanks a lot for your time and help,

FC
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 24, 19, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprivi_Strip
Old Nov 24, 19, 6:09 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Just as an FYI, sorry to say, the four don't meet at one point. There's about 300 feet of actual Bostwana/Zambia border (in the river). That's what allows the ferry between the two. It's not like the Colorado/Arizona "almost border". As to getting a boat to take you there, tough to say, but I did read reports than Angolan border patrols weren't too keen on people coming across in canoes from Namibia.

Chris

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Nov 24, 19 at 6:32 pm
Old Nov 24, 19, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO View Post
Just as an FYI, sorry to say, the four don't meet at one point. There's about 300 feet of actual Bostwana/Zambia border (in the river). That's what allows the ferry between the two. It's not like the Colorado/Arizona "almost border". As to getting a boat to take you there, tough to say, but I did read reports than Angolan border patrols weren't too keen on people coming across in canoes from Namibia.

Chris
Thanks for your message.

I think Angola is quite a bit further a long and not part of the 4 at this quadripoint. One thing I was potentially thinking of was to take a taxi over to the new Zambia-Botswana bridge, cross over to Botswana and then take a small boat from Botswana to Namibia opposite. But this is all ultra preliminary planning.

Regarding Angola thats for another day but yes I have heard of people staying in Rundy, Northern Namibia, taking little boats over to Angola for their photo to be taken, I am thinking why not? but since then Angola has hugely liberalised its visa policy so its not a 'hard to get' country anymore.
Old Nov 24, 19, 10:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
I will almost certainly be crossing via the ferry in January en route from Livingstone to Chobe. I'll report back.
Old Nov 25, 19, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
I will almost certainly be crossing via the ferry in January en route from Livingstone to Chobe. I'll report back.
Brilliant, thank you very much!
Old Dec 17, 19, 2:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, AAdvantage, SPG Gold
I crossed on the ferry last year Zambia Botswana so I can report

You can drive from Livingstone to the ferry (c.45') and park on the side of the road leading up to the ferry.

There is a gate that """"acts"""" as the border but in reality you can imagine that people are coming in and out all the time. You may have to pay an "entrance fee" to the guy guarding the door but you should be fine. Then it's about 300ft until the river.

NOW, if you want to cross the river with your own wheels that's another story... You have to come with about $40 in small bills and give it away to make sure you can cut the truck line and not have to wait for 5 days. The whole thing should take 30ish minutes and the ferry itself is probably 10'

I've attached (poor) pictures for reference

New Bridge (Namibia in the back)

My wheels on the ferry

Last edited by Chuvash; Dec 17, 19 at 2:11 pm
Old Dec 17, 19, 3:14 pm

Programs: QF WP
At kazungula there are heaps of small boats that I imagine will take you across for a fee as an alternative to the ferry (thatís what the Chobe tour groups do), but you might as well stay and actually visit chobe cos itís fabulous

the Namibia border is a bridge about 100km further upstream (Katima Mulilo). I assume you can have a taxi take you there from Livingstone

this is Africa, if the price is right you can make anything happen 😉
thijsseh likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: