Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel to DRC and more...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Travel to DRC and more...

Hello - I will be traveling to DRC to visit Virunga Park. The trip is two weeks but will only be in Virunga for 4 nights. We are looking for other things to visit and see. Any recommendations?

I’ve read the Rwenzori’s are worth hiking as well, thought about adding 5 days here as well.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:45 am

Presumably you are coming in via Kinshasa? If so, Matadi is an interesting day trip westwards along the Congo River. There are some rapids to see and you can even visit the hotel Conrad used when writing Heart of Darkness. Are you checking out the gorillas in Virunga? Trekking Nyiragongo? Goma is well worth a few nights. Fascinating place. Also, you could visit Lola Ya Bonobo Sanctuary: LOLA YA BONOBO - Home
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozymandias24
Presumably you are coming in via Kinshasa? If so, Matadi is an interesting day trip westwards along the Congo River. There are some rapids to see and you can even visit the hotel Conrad used when writing Heart of Darkness. Are you checking out the gorillas in Virunga? Trekking Nyiragongo? Goma is well worth a few nights. Fascinating place. Also, you could visit Lola Ya Bonobo Sanctuary: LOLA YA BONOBO - Home
Yep, doing the gorillas and trekking in Virunga. I’ll check out Matadi, thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Hi,

I’m reviving this thread for some updated info on DRC. I’m eyeing 2 weeks in the rift this summer including Virunga, Rwanda, and perhaps Uganda.

My understanding is that Virunga is reopening to tourists on 4/1 but what is less clear is whether the Gande Barričre border crossing with Rwanda is open to tourists. I’ve seen anecdotal evidence online that it is, but nothing about the 24h hotel quarantine when you arrive from DRC.

The alternative would be to fly to Goma directly from ADD but then it would be difficult to move on to Rwanda without having to connect through ADD again.

Re Rwanda and beyond, what would you recommend visiting besides Kigali over 4/5 days and given we will have seen the gorillas in Virunga? Lake Kivu? Akagera NP?

Re Uganda my understanding is that land borders are open Rwanda -> Uganda but not the other way around. Is that correct? If so what would you recommend visiting over another 4/5 days ending up in Entebbe to catch a flight out?

Thanks in advance,
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The border crossing COVID regs are likely to change a few times before summer. But as these countries very much need tourism I expect you should be ok.

Lots to see and do in Uganda! I spent a year there and barely scratched the surface, although I know Kampala, Jira and Entebbe quite well. I did a DIY safari in Queen Elisabeth park which was a lot of fun. Stayed at an amazing Airbnb there.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Thanks for the heads up,

While 3 of us have been to multiple parks in Africa, one hasn’t. Do you think QE NP is a good place to spot the usual big game? I was also eyeing the Rwenzori mountains, have you been there?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chuvash
Thanks for the heads up,

While 3 of us have been to multiple parks in Africa, one hasn’t. Do you think QE NP is a good place to spot the usual big game? I was also eyeing the Rwenzori mountains, have you been there?
Yes you can see lions, elephants, etc. in QE. Some you can see even from the highway without entering the park. I have been up in the highlands of Rwenzori, but not the summit. I don't think it is as easy a trek as it would be in the US or Europe because you'd have to get through a lot of mud. You can google around for some blogs about it I think. Murchison Falls is a special place, but a long drive by car.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Gold
I'm reviving this thread after spending 9 days in eastern DRC. If anyone is in need of contacts or practical information, I'm available to help.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:45 am

dantorsiello how did you feel safety wise in DRC? We're set to leave this week for Uganda near the DRC border but are a bit nervous after reading about the fighting happening there. May be a silly tourist question but just want to be informed. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by dantorsiello
I'm reviving this thread after spending 9 days in eastern DRC. If anyone is in need of contacts or practical information, I'm available to help.
Would love more info on your itinerary, where you flew in/out of, safety concerns etc. When you say Eastern DRC, did you just do Virunga/Goma etc?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pstm91
Would love more info on your itinerary, where you flew in/out of, safety concerns etc. When you say Eastern DRC, did you just do Virunga/Goma etc?
Outside of Virunga and Goma, you probably don't want to visit too many other places in eastern DRC. And you should definitely speak French if you are DIY'ing it.

I would probably fly in and out of KGL unless you are driving all the way from Uganda.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:30 am

Absolutely. I spent time in Sake and Mushaki which are a bit west of Goma. I also went to circle the lake down by Minovo, but on a US passport ran into difficulties crossing into South Kivu despite having every possible letter I could muster. I worked with a guide based out of Goma to help me get around the area and to put me in touch with local orphanages to help out. If you're interested, I could put you in contact with them. I did Virunga for three nights (Nyiragongo was closed, or it would've been a night there as well), and two on Tchegera.

Getting there I flew in and out of GOM on ET from ADD without issue. Just beware of the cash only exit tax on departure if you fly out of GOM.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by amullenberg
dantorsiello how did you feel safety wise in DRC? We're set to leave this week for Uganda near the DRC border but are a bit nervous after reading about the fighting happening there. May be a silly tourist question but just want to be informed. Thanks in advance!
I didn't feel any more or less unsafe in Goma then in other African cities like Douala or Conakry. There's still ample street crime and crime of opportunity, both that's to be expected when visiting certain places. However, there is a legitimate sense of danger once you're outside of the city. The attacks on rangers in Virunga, the attack on the Italian ambassador underscore this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by dantorsiello
Absolutely. I spent time in Sake and Mushaki which are a bit west of Goma. I also went to circle the lake down by Minovo, but on a US passport ran into difficulties crossing into South Kivu despite having every possible letter I could muster. I worked with a guide based out of Goma to help me get around the area and to put me in touch with local orphanages to help out. If you're interested, I could put you in contact with them. I did Virunga for three nights (Nyiragongo was closed, or it would've been a night there as well), and two on Tchegera.

Getting there I flew in and out of GOM on ET from ADD without issue. Just beware of the cash only exit tax on departure if you fly out of GOM.
What was pricing like with the guide?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:36 pm

What was pricing like with the guide?
About $100 USD/ a day, including transportation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.