FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Sundy Praia (Principe Island) - anyone been? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1993053-sundy-praia-principe-island-anyone-been.html)

samuelo Oct 28, 2019 1:49 am

Sundy Praia (Principe Island) - anyone been?

Has anyone been to Sundy Praia, Bom Bom or any of the other Shuttleworth properties in Sao Tome and Principe? Looking at a trip next year and it a long journey from Asia so would like to get some (non-TA) opinions.

Thanks

GetSetJetSet Oct 28, 2019 11:25 am

Have only been to Sao Tome island...but what a wonderful country. You will have a blast.

erik123 Oct 28, 2019 11:26 am

Don't know that property but not sure if on its own it is worth worth the hike. Maybe you can combine it with Accra as TAP seems to fly that route?

GetSetJetSet Oct 28, 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 31674472)
Don't know that property but not sure if on its own it is worth worth the hike. Maybe you can combine it with Accra as TAP seems to fly that route?

Yup, TAP fly LIS-ACC-TMS-ACC-LIS and you can buy just ACC-TMS-ACC, I would say Accra is also worth a few days, it's not amazing but I enjoyed it. The Kempinski is the best option there. I think TP is the only airline flying to TMS that I would feel comfortable flying on. Never know what sort of crews and maintenance you get with these small, fly by night African carriers. If you end up on Sao Tome island, Omali was good (not great).

Pausanias Oct 28, 2019 3:19 pm

I've not stayed but spent a day at Bom Bom. The hotel is charmingly rustic, not luxe at all, but it has the most gorgeous setting between two of the finest beaches I've ever seen. The nearby town is Africa remade by Sergio Leone. Make every effort to go.

samuelo Oct 28, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks everybody for the input.

I am indeed looking at ACC-TMS-ACC. Given what I've read about TAP Portugal I think I would prefer to fly either Royal Air Maroc or BA to Ghana and then connect vs. taking the TAP flight from Portugal.

Bom Bom is the more rustic one I believe and Sundy Praia/Roca Sundy the lux ones.

Will most likely combine with a few days in Morocco vs Ghana.

Pausanias Oct 28, 2019 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31674509)
Yup, TAP fly LIS-ACC-TMS-ACC-LIS and you can buy just ACC-TMS-ACC, I would say Accra is also worth a few days, it's not amazing but I enjoyed it. The Kempinski is the best option there. I think TP is the only airline flying to TMS that I would feel comfortable flying on. Never know what sort of crews and maintenance you get with these small, fly by night African carriers. If you end up on Sao Tome island, Omali was good (not great).

While Accra itself isn't the greatest place, west of there are the former slave castles of the old Gold Coast. Cape Coast Castle and especially Elmina are simply astonishing, not only in terms of their history but also their architecture and their setting in fishing villages and vast beaches. A day trip from Accra isn't really feasible. Elmina has passable accommodation. This is West Africa folks.

RichardInSF Oct 28, 2019 11:33 pm

Doesn't sound like anyplace is luxury, so I am going to move this to the Africa forum where it might get more knowledgable replies.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

GetSetJetSet Oct 28, 2019 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 31676438)
Doesn't sound like anyplace is luxury, so I am going to move this to the Africa forum where it might get more knowledgable replies.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

Omali and Pestana and several places Principe and smaller islands bill themselves as luxury