Reload this Page >

8 hours in Somalia...

8 hours in Somalia...

Old Sep 13, 19, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp
8 hours in Somalia...

Hi!

I know this will be an odd question, but....

I am considering booking an award flight from Djibouti to Mogadishu to Addis Ababa. First flight with Turkish, second one with Ethiopian. There would be an 8 hour daytime connection in Mogadishu. It seems that there is some kind of safe zone around the airport that does look quite intriguing. I am very much so aware that Somalia is a rather dangerous place, but the airport safe zone looks ok-ish.

Tried to find some information about the transit visa situation, but cannot find clear information. Some websites say you do not need a visa to transit and visit that safe zone as long as you have a confirmed booking on the same day to a third country. Other websites state that that only applies if you leave on the same plane.

Does anyone have more information?

Thank you,
Gnargel
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:00 pm

Nothing to worry about in the MGQ airport "green zone". It is about as high security a location as you will find anywhere in the world. I lived there (in the green zone) 6 years ago, so I know it well.

That said, I have my doubts whether Turkish will allow you to transit without a visa, regardless of what the regulations say. If you actually get onto the ground in Mog, there are ways to facilitate an airside transit. Expect lots of time wasted sitting in uncomfortable chairs and being asked questions though.
Old Sep 25, 19, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp
Thank you for your reply B747-437B!

Can't imagine what it's like to live in a green zone for an extended amount of time, but would have liked to walk around there for a couple of hours. Don't really want to get denied boarding or being stuck inside the airport for 8 hours, so maybe I will have to give this one a miss.

(unless someone can confirm that no (transit) visa is necessary to walk around in the green zone)
Old Sep 25, 19, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by gnargel View Post
(unless someone can confirm that no (transit) visa is necessary to walk around in the green zone)
You can't "walk around" in the green zone anyway, even if you had a visa. You will be stopped at the first checkpoint and you won't get further without a proper ID.
Old Sep 30, 19, 7:27 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gnargel View Post
unless someone can confirm that no (transit) visa is necessary...
Do you have expert flyer? If so you can search visa requirements based of the passport you hold, departure, arrival and transit cities. If no PM me and I'll run a search for you.

Search this Thread