FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   2.5 Days in The Seychelles. Which Island? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1983079-2-5-days-seychelles-island.html)

JayhawkCO Aug 15, 2019 7:03 am

2.5 Days in The Seychelles. Which Island?

Hey FTers,
My wife, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and I are doing a driving safari in southern Africa and I wanted to get the most use out of our miles, so we're using the Excursionist Perk on United to quickly visit the Seychelles for a little beach bumming before we head home. Just curious if those that have been there think we should stay on Mahé or if we should take the time (and flights, and money) to go to Praslin or La Digue. Looks like accommodation would be about the same price on any of the islands. We're not inherently beach people and like doing things like hiking, visiting national parks/nature reserves, etc. Also, we're not budget travelers per se, but we'd be much more likely to get a takeaway octopus curry from a streetside stand than sit down for a $90 per person meal while traveling. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Chris

sds1493 Aug 17, 2019 2:49 pm

No help on your question, but how are you using the excursionist award? I assume it's with ET via ADD?

JayhawkCO Aug 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by sds1493 (Post 31427376)
No help on your question, but how are you using the excursionist award? I assume it's with ET via ADD?

My itinerary is:
JFK-CAI-JNB-WDH
VFA-ADD-SEZ
SEZ-IST-WAW-ORD

Chris

RustyC Aug 22, 2019 8:35 pm

The best of the 3 is the hardest to get to: La Digue. You can get around on a bike and it has the beach that keeps showing up in fashion-model photo shoots: Anse Source d'Argent. Also some others, though the currents are likely too strong for swimming on the east side. I went to the park that includes Anse Source d'Argent on all 3 days I was there, it was so beautiful. It's also nice to be able to stay for the sunset.

Praslin is not too bad as a consolation. The Valee de Mai (rare plant species) is a must, and Anse Lazio is one of the best swimming beaches you'll see anywhere. There are also more daytrips running out of Praslin, including one to the island with the big turtles (the Seychelles is the only place with them besides the Galapagos) and Anse Source d' Argent.

Mahe has a couple of good beaches and the Beau Vallon area is not a bad place to stay, and maybe you're lucky with seeing interesting events (I caught the regatta in Beau Vallon - an all-out promotion-fest for booze and beer companies - and a reggae festival). But the really superlative attractions are in the other two islands. I spent a total of 10 days between the 3 in 2015 and it was a really great trip.

Cheetah_SA Aug 29, 2019 3:13 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 31418651)
Hey FTers,
My wife, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and I are doing a driving safari in southern Africa and I wanted to get the most use out of our miles, so we're using the Excursionist Perk on United to quickly visit the Seychelles for a little beach bumming before we head home. Just curious if those that have been there think we should stay on Mahé or if we should take the time (and flights, and money) to go to Praslin or La Digue. Looks like accommodation would be about the same price on any of the islands. We're not inherently beach people and like doing things like hiking, visiting national parks/nature reserves, etc. Also, we're not budget travelers per se, but we'd be much more likely to get a takeaway octopus curry from a streetside stand than sit down for a $90 per person meal while traveling. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Chris

You don't say how much time you have in the Seychelles. If by "quickly" you mean a few days then I wouldn't bother with other islands than Mahe. It is large enough to warrant hiring a car and driving aroud to admire the scenery. There is also an interesting botanical garden and the capital could entertain you for a few hours. If you make your base at Beauvallon Bay you have a nice, very long beach to enjoy.

But Mahe could easily become monotonous after a few days - depending on your appetite for just lounging about. So if your stay is a bit longer then Praslin is a quick hop away by Twin Otter and La Digue a little further by boat. But all three are granitic islands and all have the wonderfully alluring combination of massive sculptural rock formations with tropical greenery and golden sugar sand beaches. Some spots are that tiny bit more exquisite than others but you won't come away from any of these without pics that will make your friends very envious. So I suggest you only do as much as you can manage in a very relaxed way.

JayhawkCO Aug 29, 2019 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA (Post 31469096)
You don't say how much time you have in the Seychelles. If by "quickly" you mean a few days then I wouldn't bother with other islands than Mahe. It is large enough to warrant hiring a car and driving aroud to admire the scenery. There is also an interesting botanical garden and the capital could entertain you for a few hours. If you make your base at Beauvallon Bay you have a nice, very long beach to enjoy.

But Mahe could easily become monotonous after a few days - depending on your appetite for just lounging about. So if your stay is a bit longer then Praslin is a quick hop away by Twin Otter and La Digue a little further by boat. But all three are granitic islands and all have the wonderfully alluring combination of massive sculptural rock formations with tropical greenery and golden sugar sand beaches. Some spots are that tiny bit more exquisite than others but you won't come away from any of these without pics that will make your friends very envious. So I suggest you only do as much as you can manage in a very relaxed way.

The title of the thread is 2.5 days in The Seychelles. :) As much as if I'd like to see La Digue, we got an Airbnb on Mahe.

Chris

RustyC Aug 29, 2019 8:31 pm

I rented a car for some of the time on Mahe, but it's quite hilly compared to the other two and the roads can be really tricky. Victoria is pleasant and quaint, and a little ways up the hill from town there's Marie Antoinette creole restaurant, which serves sampler meals with a number of bowls of Creole food in a nice atmosphere. Their website also says they have a pen with the huge tortoises.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a2467dd804.jpg
Part of what ya miss on La Digue

Cheetah_SA Sep 1, 2019 12:35 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 31471843)
The title of the thread is 2.5 days in The Seychelles

Well that’s embarrassing.:o.