Traveller safety in Cape Town, concerned about NY Times report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveller safety in Cape Town, concerned about NY Times report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I also got the impression on my visit to CPT that it is quite simple to visually determine if an area is a tourist area or not. Quite the stark difference for example, between the harborside and what you see along the freeway near the airport.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:20 pm

We were there in spring 2017; Like any big city in the wield you have to be cautious. That said, it is a beautiful exciting city. Go and enjoy. Just use the usual amount of caution when traveling. YMMV
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
If visitors to SA want to worry (an activity I don't recommend), then it is the horrendous road traffic fatality numbers. DUI, unlicensed drivers, unroadworthy vehicles and road rage are widespread and common, not restricted to certain townships or extremely violent rural areas
Or just the horrible traffic jams
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
1. Dress down. Try not to look wealthy. Casual clothes, little or no jewellery. Cheap rental car.
It really makes a difference. If you walk around in expensive gear, flashing the cash and flaunting the gold, you are just making yourself a target.
Yes, as noted in my CPT17 trip report ...

More tourist wandering, this time up Long Street and through St. George’s market. We felt perfectly safe, until we were accosted by a couple of Public Safety officers … who suggested that iWife shouldn’t be wearing a visible gold chain! Apparently there is a risk of grab-and-run with exposed jewellery. Lesson learned!!
They were both extremely polite, and obviously concerned for our well-being, which was reassuring to say the least! And these officers are pretty much everywhere we walked. ^
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
It really makes a difference. If you walk around in expensive gear, flashing the cash and flaunting the gold, you are just making yourself a target.

When I visit South Africa - and other places - for the winter, I take my oldest and crappiest clothes (and usually throw most of them away at the end of the trip). I don't even bother having a haircut or trimming my beard. I literally walk around looking like a bum - and it works.
I've been doing that for the majority of my international trips for some time and can attest that it works outside of Cape Town as well. My usual attire is well worn jeans, a top and scuffed up hiking shoes.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I've been doing that for the majority of my international trips for some time and can attest that it works outside of Cape Town as well. My usual attire is well worn jeans, a top and scuffed up hiking shoes.
Aha! The backpacker's uniform! It works everywhere. It's more comfortable too.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I take my oldest and crappiest clothes (and usually throw most of them away at the end of the trip). I don't even bother having a haircut or trimming my beard. I literally walk around looking like a bum - and it works.
Hey! As a lifelong backpacker, I resemble that remark!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
At 70 and overweight I don't think anybody would mistake me for a backpacker. But it still works. And it is comfortable.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by rickg523
Hey! As a lifelong backpacker, I resemble that remark!
It really is the best way to travel!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA BD SA
The gang violence making the headlines is, as many have said, not really relevant to tourists. However, the one place a tourist could easily be in serious jeopardy is walking on the mountain. Very recently a Ukrainian man was killed just minutes up a path off Chapman's Peak.

My partner and I were mugged on the slopes of Signal Hill two years ago - less than 300 metres from the road we live in. This is a situation that has been deteriorating steadily over the past few years to the point where I, as an elderly man, do not feel safe even when in a group. This is an awful shame as we (and the dogs) love walking in the fynbos especially now as the spring flowers come out. SA Parks say they are going to put on more security but its a vast area to police...
skywardhunter and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AS/UA/DL
We spent wonderful time in Cape Town in December 2018. Great people. Interesting history. Incredible food. Visually beautiful place (makes San Francisco and Vancouver look more average). After reading detailed crime reports identifying the exact neighborhoods and types of crimes (easily available online and consistent with the helpful map that is posted above), we felt safe and saw nothing disturbing. We did a lot of hiking. Yes, apply the big city rules — no gold, diamonds, expensive cars, expensive clothing, or other things that draw attention. Try to dress like the locals. No walking alone at night. Learn about where and how it is safer to hike. Uber is easy, inexpensive, and safe. We felt more at risk walking in Johannesburg, London, and New York. Hate for you to miss experiencing Cape Town due to the crime rate in distant neighborhoods that you could avoid. Do not forget to see the penguins.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
St. Louis and Baltimore offer the same opportunities to get killed as Capetown does. With one big difference: In SA common sense can to the largest extend protect your life. In the US, however, you can become a victim in any shopping centre, school or church.
T8191, :D!, The_Bouncer and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:08 pm

South-Africa, like many countries, currently experiences what can at best be described as false-flag situations. This does not mean the reports of excessive gang violence is not true - gang violence is just synthetically high for political motivations, the motivations not necessarily home-grown.

Not homegrown for the simple reason being that it serves the ends of regime-change purposes.

That’s all. In the mean time lives are lost and victims (South-Africa) is blamed.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: Emirates Platinum; BA Silver; AA Million Miler
I've only come onto this thread today, but as a Capetonian I can tell you that Cape Town is still an amazing place. Yes, we have a violent past and present, and yes there are inequalities that are visible at every turn. But, what many tourists (and locals for that matter) fail to understand is that wealth and privilege protect you from most of the dangers that afflict the lives of South Africans (yes, the Mount Nelson attack was a rare case). As a tourist, you will have access to your own private vehicle, a comfortable place to rest your head, lavish meals, etc, etc. The vast majority of crimes and all of the gang violence is happening in the townships, that you will never, ever see. Come on down.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
My GF and I went to Cape Town for the first time last November and while we arrived at our hotel located downtown on St George mall at 10 pm one evening (and it was quite wild, with lots of streets beggars), walking in the center during the day was perfectly fine. Just apply common sense as mentioned many times before : Avoid exhibiting your expensive camera around your neck and avoid walking after dark or in our case, after the shops were closed at 6pm. There is a very good touristic bus (hop-on / hop-off) running across the region (it can go quite far and does not only stay in the city) and we used it to travel around, together with Uber. We also rented a car to go to the south cape and the country side (down to Cape Arghulas) and the drive was perfectly fine. It's a fantastic region to explore, with excellent food and great landscapes and the people we met there were very friendly. We also hiked to table mountain using the Plattekip gorge trail (if I remember correctly) and it was perfectly safe (we took the telecabin to get down though... too tired to do it on foot !). Enjoy your trip !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.