Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

When will Blantyre airport reopen to jets?

Old Aug 3, 19, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, UA, EK, EY

Blantyre, Malawi (BLZ) was supposed to be closed to jets from April 24 to July 23 to repair potholes in the runway. However it seems that it hasn't reopened yet and Ethiopian are not scheduling jets into there throughout August, eg ET875, which does ADD-NLA-BLZ usually, but September seems to have them flying into BLZ again. Does anyone here know of the state of Blantyre airport at the moment?
Old Aug 4, 19, 1:38 pm

The work has barely started. Supposedly most of the construction materials were "washed away" in heavy rains and they do not have budget to acquire new ones. So the main runway will probably remain closed into 2020 or longer.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Oh well. I guess Ethiopian will be rerouting us when they finally get around to updating the schedules for those dates. I can't ask for a reroute earlier as I'd have to pay a change fee.
Old Aug 5, 19, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by pagophilus View Post
Oh well. I guess Ethiopian will be rerouting us when they finally get around to updating the schedules for those dates. I can't ask for a reroute earlier as I'd have to pay a change fee.
Officially the line is that the airport will reopen in September, so ET is planning around that for now.

The reroute being offered is via Lilongwe with the BLZ-LLW on ET/3W Dash 8 services. Lilongwe has been upgraded to widebody to accomodate the additional pax.
Old Aug 5, 19, 7:52 am
Original Poster

My destination is actually LLW, the roundabout way (cheaper ticket, more segments). BKK-ADD-NLA-BLZ-LLW. However I'd be happy to do the direct ADD-LLW if they keep BLZ closed. Return journey likewise - LLW-BLZ-BEW-ADD-BKK. A direct LLW-ADD would be good there as well. The things we do to save money, however when there are 3 of us the difference in price adds up and I'm happy to suffer the inconvenience (as long as the flights actually operate).

Search this Thread