Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Input on Johannesburg hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Input on Johannesburg hotel

We are coming in from Victoria Falls at noon and departing next day evening flight so just chilling and need late departure.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
To get a later checkout you can either purchase the full next night, contact the hotel about paying for extended hours stays or book via a service such as Amex Fine Hotels which have a 4pm guaranteed checkout.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Yes we will use Amex or Virtuosso travel who also has that.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
What is your budget? Do you want to hire a car? Are you happy to taxi/Uber around?

I tend to stay in the Proteas which give 4pm checkout from Marriott status. The Mercures are cheaper but very tired, and do the same with Accor status.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

We are using are using our Marriott points in Cape Town so here we are willing to spend to relax overnight and the day before long flight.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotels are in general cheap in Johannesburg, especially in winter. For $200 you'll likely get somewhere really nice, maybe the Residence Boutique or Monarch or even African Pride Melrose Arch. None of which I've stayed at.

The Proteas are not quite so luxurious but still nice enough. The Melrose Arch Fire and Ice is especially good for location. Melrose Arch in general is a nice place to hang out if you want civilisation.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

We will be there in the summer Feb 2020
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
There's a Protea at JNB. It's not fancy, but you'll earn a few Marriott points staying there. A fellow FT'er told me it's a great place for plane-spotting or just hanging out at the pool. Given that it's an airport hotel, I'm sure they can arrange special rates for late check-out assuming the standard Marriott 16h00 late check-out is insufficient to your needs.

Another option is to not stay in JNB but instead head to Pretoria. You can explore the city - the parliament building with the giant Mandela statue is cool to see as is the courthouse where Mandela was sentenced. And you'll necessarily need a little extra time transferring from whatever hotel you're at to JNB.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LillianJ
We will be there in the summer Feb 2020
I don't like the Protea at JNB much. My favourite Protea in JNB is the Wanderers, though the Fire and Ice at Melrose Arch is well located.

There's an Intercontinental on-site at JNB. The Protea is a (very short) drive.

There's also a Radisson Blu across the road from Sandton Gautrain station, though I have not tried it; and a lot of hotels around the Rosebank Gautrain station, similarly.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, we want a nice hotel that we can relax in before our long international flight the following eve.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
We've stayed at the Intercontinental at the airport (and at the one at Sandton as well as the Crowne Plaza in Rosebank). Primarily as I have tons of IHG points so we stay free. As I have status with IHG, we are always upgraded to a premium room. All three of these have nice rooms and are clean, secure and we experienced very attentive service.

The Intercontinental at JNB is a very nice hotel. But I personally would not pay the published rates for the rooms (approaching $300 USD). The restaurant is great for breakfast but we have had mixed experiences with it for other meals.

My son has stayed at the City Lodge at JNB and he liked it. It is one of the more reasonably priced hotels at JNB, the last price I saw for it was $100 USD. He thought the rooms were clean comfortable and more of a basic hotel room. But he says he would stay there again.

Both the Intercontinental and the City Lodge are walking distance from the JNB terminals. So these are good for arriving in the afternoon and departing the next morning.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The advantage of Melrose Arch and Rosebank would be the other stuff going on a short walk away - both have a nice collection of shops, cafes and restaurants. If there is something particular you would want to do in the hotel, let us know and we can advise.

I have also stayed at the Crowne Plaza Rosebank and found the service really excellent - but it's a small hike from the Rosebank mall and Gautrain station, that might not be safe after dark. (The hotel itself is pretty secure though.)
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by typical
The advantage of Melrose Arch and Rosebank would be the other stuff going on a short walk away - both have a nice collection of shops, cafes and restaurants. If there is something particular you would want to do in the hotel, let us know and we can advise.

I have also stayed at the Crowne Plaza Rosebank and found the service really excellent - but it's a small hike from the Rosebank mall and Gautrain station, that might not be safe after dark. (The hotel itself is pretty secure though.)
Agree about walking from the Rosebank Mall and the Crowne Plaza late at night. It is a about a 2 block walk and the panhandlers, solicitors, etc can be annoying. They do have a shopping center shuttle, but we never tried getting it for a ride back in the evening. For going out in the evening we always would take an arranged car, Uber, etc. The hotel has a number of drivers they will arrange for you at a reasonable cost, although not as cheap as Uber.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. This is the end night of a three week holiday in Africa so before the long flight home we just want to chill.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:12 am

We recently stayed at the AfricaSky Guest House and were very happy with the accommodations and food and the staff.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...g_Gauteng.html
Home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.