Wiki Posts
Search

Visa requirement Kenya/South Africa/Seychelles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Visa requirement Kenya/South Africa/Seychelles

Hello,
We are planning a trip to three countries and wanted to know how visa requirement will be for us!

Both of us are US citizens!

IAD -- NBO --> Staying in Kenya for a couple of weeks (Wifey)
IAD -- CPT --> Just myself
JNB -- SEZ --> For the both of us

South Africa and Seychelles do not need visa for US citizens but wanted to make sure:

1) if same would be the case if wifey comes to Capetown after staying in Kenya for a few days
2) IF we continue our travel from JNB to Seychelles will there be any visa requirement?

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check health requirements too, especially if yellow fever or cholera shots will be required for any entry on this itinerary, given your previous stops. Malaria prevention medicines tend to be recommended rather than required for entry.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: QF, UA, EK, EY
It doesn't matter where you come from as to the visa requirements. It matters what nationality you are. If US citizens don't need a visa, they don't need a visa, regardless whether they arrive from Kenya or wherever.

Your wife will need yellow fever vaccination though, before SA and Seychelles let her in.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Bring a crisp new, latest design, $50 bill for visa on arrival in Kenya. And yes a yellow fever cert is highly recommended. As for malaria meds it is your choice, but I and most Africa veteran travelers, and Africans themselves recommend against it.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by stimpy
Bring a crisp new, latest design, $50 bill for visa on arrival in Kenya. And yes a yellow fever cert is highly recommended. As for malaria meds it is your choice, but I and most Africa veteran travelers, and Africans themselves recommend against it.
A serious question on the malaria recommendation. I have skipped taking the malaria preventative meds myself for African trips where I felt there was no credible risk of getting the disease. Are there other reasons in play for this beside just a realistic assessment of disease risk?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheltzel
A serious question on the malaria recommendation. I have skipped taking the malaria preventative meds myself for African trips where I felt there was no credible risk of getting the disease. Are there other reasons in play for this beside just a realistic assessment of disease risk?
The general thinking of the experts is that if you actually contract Malaria, you will be better taken care of by local doctors. And any honest and ethical doctor will tell you to avoid medicines unless absolutely necessary. It is commonly said that the medicine is worse than the disease and different people have different reactions. For my own part I have done a lot of traveling around Africa and have never even thought about taking Malaria meds. Not for myself and certainly not for my young kids.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by pagophilus
It doesn't matter where you come from as to the visa requirements. It matters what nationality you are. If US citizens don't need a visa, they don't need a visa, regardless whether they arrive from Kenya or wherever.

Your wife will need yellow fever vaccination though, before SA and Seychelles let her in.
Actually, this is (generally) incorrect, visa requirements can be different based on port of entry, and especially VoA might not be available everywhere.
I would personally advise on getting an eVisa for Kenya (or have 50$ cash for VoA)
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by pagophilus

This is simply wrong.

There are numerous examples of situations where the country (and sometimes the specific airport) from which one arrives and where one connects, may well change document requirements. For this and many other reasons, generalizations are a poor idea. IATA air carriers rely on IATA's TIMATIC database to determine what documents are required under specific circumstances. Access to TIMATIC is free and there are a number of portals which provide it. I happen to find UA's the easiest to navigate and it can be found at the link. Others may prefer other portals, but they will all ultimately yield the same result.

This is what the check-in / gate agent will see and it is worth reviewing carefully as it includes passport, visa, health, and electronic document authorizations.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
This is simply wrong.<br /><br />There are numerous examples of situations where the country (and sometimes the specific airport) from which one arrives and where one connects, may well change document requirements. For this and many other reasons, generalizations are a poor idea. IATA air carriers rely on IATA's TIMATIC database to determine what documents are required under specific circumstances. Access to TIMATIC is free and there are a number of portals which provide it. I happen to find UA's the easiest to navigate and it can be found at the link. Others may prefer other portals, but they will all ultimately yield the same result.<br /><br />This is what the check-in / gate agent will see and it is worth reviewing carefully as it includes passport, visa, health, and electronic document authorizations.<br /><br /><a href="https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=TIMATIC">https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=TIMATIC</a>
Can you give us an example of where they differ, as it might help.

My understanding is that a US national can get visa free entry to SA and Seychelles regardless of point of embarkation. And same for visa on arrival in Kenya.

I agree things can differ depending on port of arrival, not every border point (particularly land borders) have full visa facilities.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by poisonsag
Hello,
We are planning a trip to three countries and wanted to know how visa requirement will be for us!

Both of us are US citizens!

IAD -- NBO --> Staying in Kenya for a couple of weeks (Wifey)
IAD -- CPT --> Just myself
JNB -- SEZ --> For the both of us

South Africa and Seychelles do not need visa for US citizens but wanted to make sure:

1) if same would be the case if wifey comes to Capetown after staying in Kenya for a few days
2) IF we continue our travel from JNB to Seychelles will there be any visa requirement?

Thanks!
You are correct--no visa required for South Africa or Seychelles. You can get an e-visa for Kenya (they discontinued the visa on arrival a couple of years ago, but I understand it may have since been reinstated). The CDC lists Kenya as as Yellow Fever area (only certain parts though) but not the other two countries. You may, therefore, want to get inoculated prior to travel to South Africa or Seychelles from Kenya, at least 10 days in advance, and have the yellow card with you. It's good for 10 years.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahlerfan
You are correct--no visa required for South Africa or Seychelles. You can get an e-visa for Kenya (they discontinued the visa on arrival a couple of years ago, but I understand it may have since been reinstated). The CDC lists Kenya as as Yellow Fever area (only certain parts though) but not the other two countries. You may, therefore, want to get inoculated prior to travel to South Africa or Seychelles from Kenya, at least 10 days in advance, and have the yellow card with you. It's good for 10 years.
As someone who flies often to Kenya (NBO) I can tell you they never discontinued visa on arrival. At least not in the last 20 years. I recall seeing some reports a few years back about this, but they were never based in on the ground reality. VOA is always the most reliable method. In Africa, cold hard cash beats a computer record every day.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:13 am

Indeed VoA has always been available in Kenya although at one point they did publish plans to go to eVisa only (it wasn't implemented).

Despite the various irrelevant diversions, the answer to OP question is simple. For US nationals yes VoA is available on arrival in Kenya (you can pay in $, £ or €) and yes visa free access is available in SA and Seychelles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.