Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Future Africa Trip Advice

Future Africa Trip Advice

Old Jun 14, 19, 7:41 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 156
Future Africa Trip Advice

Hi everyone,

Been reading through the posts and it's been helpful, but I could really use some help/advice with our future may/June 2020 trip.

We plan on having a luxury trip and we are looking at doing South Africa, Tanzania, and Seychelles. Part of my question is if we are doing an 8 day safari throughout Tanzania (Serengeti ng crater, etc.) would we be missing out by not doing a safari in SA? We are looking to cut a few costs/days and we are wondering if it makes sense to do all out safariing in Tanzania. Alternatively, would you consider cutting Tanzania all together and just doing a safari in Kruger? We have never done any sort of safari.
For Tanzania, any reccomended luxury lodges/camps?
Anlun is offline  
Old Jun 14, 19, 8:33 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 53
I guess it depends on how much time you have. I think most people do either Tanzania/Kenya/Zanzibar area or southern Africa. They're a long ways apart. Then you're getting the Seychelles to relax afterwards. I wouldn't feel bad if you have to pick one or the other (Tanz. or SA). When we were planning our first Africa safari trip a few years ago, we were kind of looking at everything, and in the end decided to concentrate on southern Africa (Kruger, Vic Falls, Swaziland, Chobe, in something like 17 days, I forget exactly) and it was all absolutely incredible.
physics is offline  
Old Jun 14, 19, 10:26 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Anlun View Post
Hi everyone,

Been reading through the posts and it's been helpful, but I could really use some help/advice with our future may/June 2020 trip.

We plan on having a luxury trip and we are looking at doing South Africa, Tanzania, and Seychelles. Part of my question is if we are doing an 8 day safari throughout Tanzania (Serengeti ng crater, etc.) would we be missing out by not doing a safari in SA? We are looking to cut a few costs/days and we are wondering if it makes sense to do all out safariing in Tanzania. Alternatively, would you consider cutting Tanzania all together and just doing a safari in Kruger? We have never done any sort of safari.
For Tanzania, any reccomended luxury lodges/camps?
Im in the process of planning our next safari and thought Id share couple of thoughts;

1. We did SA in 2017 and absolutely loved it - we went to an andbeyond property
2. When researching our return trip, I considered Tanzania, Kenya, SA and Botswana - one big takeaway is that you get a lot more for your money in SA.
3. Singita is another good safari company worth looking at with Lodges all over Africa

Hope that helps
RameshJ is offline  
Old Jun 15, 19, 9:22 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: UA
Posts: 319
Originally Posted by Anlun View Post
Hi everyone,

Been reading through the posts and it's been helpful, but I could really use some help/advice with our future may/June 2020 trip.

We plan on having a luxury trip and we are looking at doing South Africa, Tanzania, and Seychelles. Part of my question is if we are doing an 8 day safari throughout Tanzania (Serengeti ng crater, etc.) would we be missing out by not doing a safari in SA? We are looking to cut a few costs/days and we are wondering if it makes sense to do all out safariing in Tanzania. Alternatively, would you consider cutting Tanzania all together and just doing a safari in Kruger? We have never done any sort of safari.
For Tanzania, any reccomended luxury lodges/camps?
i would recommend cutting out Tanzania altogether. Tanzania is getting a bit dicey, even by regional standards. After your Krueger safari, if you feel that you need more safari, Botswana is much better and cost effective. And if you do Botswana, you could sneak in a day trip to Victoria Falls from sone camps.
TominLazybrook is offline  
Old Jun 15, 19, 11:17 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook View Post
i would recommend cutting out Tanzania altogether. Tanzania is getting a bit dicey, even by regional standards. After your Krueger safari, if you feel that you need more safari, Botswana is much better and cost effective. And if you do Botswana, you could sneak in a day trip to Victoria Falls from sone camps.
Thanks for the advice, I was also considering Botswana in lieue of Tanzania. I guess I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile if I can do a safari in SA? Can you give a little detail as to the variance between them?
Anlun is offline  
Old Jun 16, 19, 4:42 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by Anlun View Post
I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile if I can do a safari in SA? Can you give a little detail as to the variance between them?
I would say yes, it is absolutely worth adding a safari in Botswana after safari in SA. Our experience in Botswana felt very different than the Kruger area. In our case, we visited Chobe National Park, and there, you can see a lot more wildlife in the water. Seeing literally 100s of elephants in the river was quite thrilling and we didn't get those views at Kruger. (And lots of hippos, different birds.) And Chobe isn't even as big a name as the Okavango Delta. We also did some dry-land safari in Chobe and it was also great, seeing lions, giraffes, etc. But probably more similar to parts of Kruger.
Swanky Safari likes this.
physics is offline  
Old Jun 23, 19, 4:58 pm
  #7  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Escondido CA USA
Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Posts: 3,058
This trip report (travel in May), may be of use to your research and planning.

Our African Safari (s)
ranles is offline  
Old Jun 24, 19, 2:57 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by ranles View Post
This trip report (travel in May), may be of use to your research and planning.

Our African Safari (s)
Awesome, much appreciated!
Anlun is offline  
Old Jun 25, 19, 2:55 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Will be great trip!
Joe Epsi is offline  
Old Jul 4, 19, 4:00 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 83
Returning from mala mala sable now.

If you have questions about this lodge I can try to answer them. We did 6 days here and loved it. My priorities were leopards (we saw them multiple times a day) and lions ( we saw at least once a day, sometimes more). Since I carry 2 cameras and don't like sitting 3 across, 6 people per vehicle is a requirement for me.
vbnet is offline  
Old Jul 4, 19, 5:04 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by physics View Post
I would say yes, it is absolutely worth adding a safari in Botswana after safari in SA. Our experience in Botswana felt very different than the Kruger area. In our case, we visited Chobe National Park, and there, you can see a lot more wildlife in the water. Seeing literally 100s of elephants in the river was quite thrilling and we didn't get those views at Kruger. (And lots of hippos, different birds.) And Chobe isn't even as big a name as the Okavango Delta. We also did some dry-land safari in Chobe and it was also great, seeing lions, giraffes, etc. But probably more similar to parts of Kruger.
Second that. I have friends from Botswana and they just did a safari in Bots and loved it. New item on my list also.
gbenrus25 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 19, 6:52 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,558
Originally Posted by physics View Post
Seeing literally 100s of elephants in the river.
Bear in mind that this is highly seasonal. The river attracts lots of game when the hinterland is bone dry. When it is wet, much less.

Johan
vbnet likes this.
johan rebel is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 12:35 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nashville,TN
Programs: AA Gold Elite
Posts: 321
Have visited South Africa/Vic Falls/Botswana in January/February, late June/early July and November. Did a medical mission trip to Kenya in April.
I really did not like Kenya-I never felt safe there even on a supposedly secure Christian mission station plus the higher altitude was an issue for my health.

I cannot speak for Tanzania but I do agree you probably get a better experience overall on a South Africa/Botswana safari.

Morning safaris below the equator will be VERY chilly in May/June and even though it will warm up to a pleasant day it does mean you will need to pack a lot more clothes that time of year-yes you WILL need a warm hat, gloves, warm socks and shoes and a really warm jacket. Later in the day you will want to be in shorts and short sleeve shirts! You will be in the equivalent of a top down convertible at 30+mph when it is 40 degrees F. Until the sun comes up! Brrr.

I have stayed at the following SA camps and liked them all and they are at very different price points: Londolozi Tree Camp- 5-6 star quality and pricing. Thornybush Game Reserve-4star. Kapama Game Reserve-3.5 star.
Look for game reserves that are NOT fenced in AND allow the vehicles to go off road even if the "roads" are dirt. Trust me. Being allowed to venture off the dirt paths will wildly expand your ability for game viewing. Kapama IS fenced AND our guide was rarely ever allowed to go off the dirt road.BUT, on that trip we were able to see the elusive and endangered pangolin one evening as we headed back to camp. Londolozi is famous for its leopard population but I also saw many at Thornybush as well as black rhino there. Guess I am lucky?
I personally liked going in our winter months, the southern hemisphere summer months. Never had an issue seeing amazing game even though it was green.And we did not get caught in any famous African torrential rainstorms.
The drought problems all over sub Saharan Africa persist so please do your part to conserve water when you visit. Even on my last trip in November to SA and Zimbabwe, I was shocked how dry and brown it was and the Vic Falls were running very low at that point too.
sweetsleep is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:25 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 83
Packing list

We have been to SA 2x. Late Jun/Jul and late Ju/Aug. I tracked the weather a year before we went on both trips. Low to mid 50s seemed to he the lowest we experienced and every one of those days hit at least 73 - 85. Layering cuts down on packing. I'm an underarmour junkie so here's my list: 3 ss shirts, 2 1/4 zip ls shirts. 1 hooded shirt. 1 lightweight running jacket with hood. 1 hooded lined windbreaker. 1 pair of shorts , 2 prs Jean's. My dh uses a hat to protect his head from the sun. You need sunblock even in their winter. Maybe add one thick sweater for evenings in camp as a luxury.

One year I took the small gloves with finger tips cut off but it was too much hassle with the cameras. You might like a scarf to protect your face if you are someone who gets cold easily. The lodges usually provide hot water bottles and blankets and insect repellent. Ask about this before you go. Also ladies, I can forego all the styling stuff for my hair and pony tail it up but I do like my own shampoo.

Packing less clothing and using the laundry service makes it simple. Everyone is there for the animals and aren't looking at what you are wearing. My medium size suitcase is usually 1/2 empty in case I want souvenirs.
vbnet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread