Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Johannesburg driver

Johannesburg driver

Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Johannesburg driver

Does anyone have a private driver in Johannesburg they can recommend? I'm planning on doing a tour of Hillbrow and I've been told that getting Uber drivers to pick up/drop off at the Ponte City building can be difficult. Would be coming from Melrose Arch, so not far.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Unless you don't have a drivers license or is really terrified of driving in foreign country, I suggest that you rent a car and drive yourself. Car rentals are really cheap in ZA and it is fairly easy to drive yourself in J'burg and surroundings. I'm not an experienced driver but I had no issues driving in ZA last year (and despite that driving in ZA means driving on the left-hand side!)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Unless you don't have a drivers license or is really terrified of driving in foreign country, I suggest that you rent a car and drive yourself. Car rentals are really cheap in ZA and it is fairly easy to drive yourself in J'burg and surroundings. I'm not an experienced driver but I had no issues driving in ZA last year (and despite that driving in ZA means driving on the left-hand side!)
I would second this opinion. I try and avoid renting cars/driving like the plague when travelling, but there are some places where it is the only sensible choice (every other time was on an island). Driving is very simple in SA, despite being on the opposite side of the road for me. I did the Dlala Nje tour based out of Ponte, and they provide secure parking in the building.

The only issues I had driving around Jozi was when it came time to return my car at the airport. I could not find any petrol stations anywhere near the airport, forcing me to return the car with 1/4 tank (paying absurd rental price for fuel). To further add to my stress and delay, there was not any signage for rental car returns at the airport. I drove around twice before giving up and parking next to the car rental offices in the main terminal parking garage. I knew where they were at, but I could not find the actual entrance to their lot.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
steveholt I just had an awesome driver in Johannesburg. I'll PM you.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Madone59
steveholt I just had an awesome driver in Johannesburg. I'll PM you.
If you don't mind sharing, I'd appreciate the driver's info. My wife and I will be spending a few days in Johannesburg at the end of July.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.