FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Southern Africa itinerary- help me choose! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1963308-southern-africa-itinerary-help-me-choose.html)

nancypants Mar 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Southern Africa itinerary- help me choose!

Afternoon all,

i have 3 weeks flying into JNB in late July/August
partner will join me for one week

originally i was going to just take a connection to Cape Town and then tour the western cape

however I am now wondering about other options- possibly Madagascar, Namibia or Mauritius?

my partner loves beaches and is more precious than me

thanks in advance!

ttapps Apr 26, 2019 7:49 am

If you've never been, don't miss out on Cape Town! To me, it's the most comprehensive destination of the above for a week: beaches (although it will be cool in July and the ocean is FREEZING year round), mountains, winelands, scenery, amazing restaurants, penguins, historical sights, etc. It's really hard to get bored in Cape Town, and even though we do get more rain in winter than summer, you're still bound to have multiple sunny gorgeous days over the course of a week.

If you're really looking for a beach destination, then I'd have a look at Mozambique or Durban. The beaches in Moz are amazing and Maputo is also an interesting city to visit (and only a 40-minute flight from JNB). Durban is also great that time of year and still get to soak up some unique SA culture.

Namibia could also be a good option, but it's very vast. So if you want to spend some time in Windhoek + Swakopmund + Etosha, it's going to take some time/distance to travel. It's unique and peaceful, but a bit "slow" for some tourists.

Unfortunately haven't been to Madagascar or Mauritius, but those are a bit more of a hike from JNB than the other options listed.

skywardhunter Apr 26, 2019 8:02 am

Great time to view game, so I'd consider 3-5 days in a game reserve in the north (drivable from JNB or fly to Nelspruit or Skukuza). Kruger National Park is the classic and would always be my recommendation but some of the private parks etc are also good.

I'd skip Madagascar, though I'd love to visit myself, it's not very on the grid and I think worthy of it's own well planned out trip. Namibia or Zimbabwe are easily doable, you can do Vic Falls, there's an awesome overnight train from Bulawayo (it's not fancy at all!!) or if less adventurous can fly directly from either JNB or CPT.

I live in CPT, it's the most beautiful city in the world and can easily keep you occupied for a week or two, including the surrounds, Franshoek, Stellenbosch, Hermanus, along the coast as far as Knysna, back the slightly longer way through Oudtshoorn and the R62 past Ronnie's Sex Shop (actually a bar in the middle of nowhere in the Karoo). There are cool hot springs at Montague you may want to check out. In CPT itself lots of amazing restaurants, shopping, hiking, botanical gardens, sunset cruises, beach, cocktails, surfing (cold in July), penguins, Cape Point, museums, etc.

A bit early for whale watching but in August you may be able to spot from, Hermanus is best for that and the drive along the coast to Hermanus is wonderful, some nice B&Bs there to spend a night or two, it's an easy 2.5hr drive from CPT.