Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

New Baggage Rules at OR Tambo Airport

Old Mar 25, 19, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, LH M&M

I thought this might be of interest to users of the daily BA flights to Joburg. I know it's a busy route so thought it worth a mention. Admin, please move it you think it's not in the right forum.

https://www.traveller24.com/TravelPl...tambo-20190325
Old Mar 27, 19, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
This is annoying. For starters “one flat surface” is somewhat open to interpretation. Must the flat surface be rigid? I have a duffel bag that could be said to have a flat base, but if I have it wrapped it becomes pretty much a large oval ball because all the corners are compressed. Do they now require the wrapping folks to provide some form of “flat surface”? Maybe by inserting some stiff cardboard?

In their pictures of non-compliant bags what is wrong with the top bags? They have a (in fact, many) flat surface(s) and no straps and aren’t “round”. Is the only problem with the second bag the long strap? Or does it fail on another criterion? Am I the only one confused here?

Is this a rule anywhere else in the world apart from Dubai? It just seems like a vague generalised proscription to make their lives easier rather than introduce systems to cope with what suits pax. Very interested to hear of people’s experiences.

Old Mar 28, 19, 10:30 am

I suspect they are trying to say "one hard flat surface" but who knows.
Old Mar 30, 19, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA View Post
Is this a rule anywhere else in the world apart from Dubai?
Yes, in different shapes or forms, it is the policy virtually everywhere that has an automated baggage sortation system.

In most places however, they place these irregularly shaped items in plastic tubs to send them into the sortation system, rather than ban them outright.
Old Mar 30, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
Safari's want the soft sided duffel types to fit in small planes. This should be interesting as the hit the unintended consequences and tweaking a definition. Does this mean no golf clubs are checked in? Or will an odd shape/oversize/strollers be checked in at a special counter?
cheltzel likes this.
Old Mar 31, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
Safari's want the soft sided duffel types to fit in small planes. This should be interesting as the hit the unintended consequences and tweaking a definition. Does this mean no golf clubs are checked in? Or will an odd shape/oversize/strollers be checked in at a special counter?
Like LodgeLink or Proflight in Zambia..
Old Apr 3, 19, 3:58 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Why can't they use the trays like every other civil airport does globally?
Old Apr 3, 19, 2:13 pm

Very confusing as all the new duffles on the larger size have a solid bottom with low solid sides. It would help this situation but not the rules for Safari’s so we are stumped on what to buy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: