Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

What is there to see and do in the Seychelles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:14 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

What is there to see and do in the Seychelles besides the beach? I'm starting from ground zero in my knowledge of the Seychelles. Should a visit include both the south and the north side of the island? Is there enough to do to justify being the sole focus of a trip from the US? We are comfortable renting a car to get around.

If not, what do you suggest combining with it? I expect us to fly there on Qatar so via Doha, which we have already seen. We've been to Zanzibar, Kenya, Tanzania, and Mauritius. We've been to South Africa multiple times. We'd be going to the Seychelles at the wrong time of year for what we'd like to see in South Africa on our next visit.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I am interested in an answer too, however, apparently not much to do given the current response.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines
We will be in the Seychelles also

We are headed to the Seychelles this Dec on a cruise for a few days. I usually use TA of course and search their forums for a good guide. Once I find one, I usually email or Whats App them and go from there. It has never failed. When are you guys going?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is there to see and do in the Seychelles besides the beach? I'm starting from ground zero in my knowledge of the Seychelles. Should a visit include both the south and the north side of the island? Is there enough to do to justify being the sole focus of a trip from the US? We are comfortable renting a car to get around.

If not, what do you suggest combining with it? I expect us to fly there on Qatar so via Doha, which we have already seen. We've been to Zanzibar, Kenya, Tanzania, and Mauritius. We've been to South Africa multiple times. We'd be going to the Seychelles at the wrong time of year for what we'd like to see in South Africa on our next visit.
That’s sort of a trick question...

The Seychelles is a whole bunch of (very different) islands. The central, granitic islands are the most scenic and specatacular - gorgeous beaches of sugar-like coral sand juxtaposed with massive granite boulders and tropical vegetation. Further out the coral atolls are famous for birds, diving and unspoilt nature. (Like all Indian Ocean tropical reefs, they have been afflicted by coral bleaching, though.) Some, like Aldabra with its tree climbing crabs, can only be visited by boat.

Even within the granitic islands Mahe is more developed while Praslin with its Vallée de Mai nature reserve is and feels more remote. Nearby La Digue takes that up a notch by having no cars and transporting you around in ox carts. If you want to push out the boat, North Island is the exclusive resort catering to the rich and famous and/or royal.

Mahe town has little of interest (the market, some colonial architecture) but on the island there is an interesting botanic garden if that appeals. On the beautiful stretch of Beauvallon Bay there are numerous reports of varying quality but many of the more luxurious resorts are quite isolated. Getting between islands involves quick flights on Twin Otter planes but between Praslin and La Digue there one takes a ferry.

So there is great diversity - but to answer your question you need to tell us more of your interests.

After several visits over the years we have fallen out of love with the Seychelles despite the phenomenal natural beauty. But we haven’t been since 2001(!) so much will have changed. We combined Maldives with Seychelles and Zanzibar. But that was because Air Seychelles had a (very short-lived) service between Male and Mahe which made the whole odyssey practical.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I went for 10 days back in September 2015 on the great "Etihad Mistake fare special" of Christmas day 2014 and really loved it. It was high on the bucket list ever since - of all things - I had seen it in the 1979 Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.

Beaches are so great they'll ruin you on chasing after them everywhere else. Anse Lazio (Praslin) is the great swimming beach, while Anse Source d'Argent was the backdrop for SI and so many other photo shoots. I remember a fruit stand there where a guy would make smoothies in a blender and you could just sit at one of his tables and read or marvel over the place.

La Digue in particular is absolutely wonderful. You can rent a bike at your guesthouse and just go around the island on that, including to the beach on the east side that you might have almost to yourself.

Mahe is more populated and mountainous. Maybe I lucked out, but while I was there they had the regatta at Beau Vallon and an all-night reggae festival with some 30 bands or so intown. The regatta was incredibly alcohol-soaked, with every brewer and distiller setting up a tent and giving away swag if you bought their beer. People would leave bottles in the sand underwater at the beach, which wasn't cool and I'd collect and dispose the ones I found.

You can get some great meals. Some guesthouses do really good dinners on demand, on on Mahe I went to that creole place in the big old house (forget the name, but it's a one-of-a-kind) and ordered their bit-of-everything plate and it was memorable.

On activities besides beaches and food, think nature. The country has so many rare plants and birds found nowhere else, and just beautiful spots as well. Vallee de Mai on Praslin with the rare palm species including the coco de mer is a must. There are also boat tours out of there to the nearby islands. I took the one to the island with all the giant tortoises...the Seychelles is the one place besides the Galapagos that has them. It also included a hike across the island and a really good lunch. There's also the bird sanctuary island the I didn't get to but is supposedly really unique. If you have lots of money then a trip to the national park in the rarely-seen islands in the south of the country could be quite an experience.

I never felt bored. If u go through Qatar or the UAE it might be worth a stopover...I went to Abu Dhabi on a separate ticket on the mistake sale ORD-AUH-ORD for $212 RT and it was good, but u probably want to avoid summer or Ramadan.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:33 am

It seems like most people recommend renting a car on Mahe. Any tips? As in, what type of car should I rent (do I need a jeep or will a compact be suffice)? Use one of the big companies (Hertz, Sixt, etc. but I realize most partner with a local franchisee)? Pick-up and drop-off at the airport or rent by the day as needed from the hotel?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:20 pm

I just returned from the Seychelles last month. We stayed 8 nights there, but it was part of a bigger trip that also included Cape Town and a safari in Kruger. Speaking personally, I am not sure if I would make the Seychelles the only destination of my trip. It's a long way to go from the US, but perhaps you enjoy a slower paced beach vacation more than I do. I would highly, highly recommend looking into staying on La Digue at least for 2-3 nights. We only took a day trip there from Praslin and we do regret staying on Praslin over La Digue. It is harder to get to since you have to fly into SEZ, and then fly to Praslin, and ferry over to La Digue but I would say it is worth it. Just a laid back vibe with bicycles everywhere and almost no cars except for service/maintenance cars. There are also many hikes through the jungle and along the beaches that you can find on any of the islands.

We also stayed at the Hilton Labriz on Silhouette which was amazing. Highly recommend securing an upgrade to a beachfront villa if you do go there. We stayed at the Hilton Northolme and paid a small fee to upgrade to a pool villa which was fantastic.

We rented a car on Praslin and a compact is plenty sufficient. Same goes for Mahe. Do be aware if you're coming from the US that they drive on the left side of the road with a right hand drive car. It takes some getting used to but easier than I thought it'd be.
EmpressRouge and RustyC like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
La Digue was really wonderful, and one of the great things about staying there was being able to stay for early evenings and the sunset at Anse Source d'Argent. The daytrippers are gone, most people have cleared out and there are only a few left there:

Even mediocre sunsets can be great

Praslin has its good points, though. Anse Lazio is one of the best swimming beaches in the world, and Vallee de Mai with the cocos de mer and other rare plants is also a must-see. There are also more boat tours to the neighboring islands out of Praslin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.