Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Tanzania and the Serengeti

Old Dec 31, 18, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UA,CX

Hello, Happy New Year to you all. I am planning a visit to Tanzania, Kenia for 2 weeks, 18 days tops. I would love to do a picture safari. Without spending too much, any advice on tour companies. Just the safari would be 3 or 4 days in total. Budget for this portion of my holidays is 1000/1300, not sure if it is enough or more than needed.
Old Jan 1, 19, 5:00 am

How many people is that budget for? Is it per person or in total?
Old Jan 1, 19, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time of year?

Are you planning the safari portion of your trip in Tanzania, in Kenya, or can it be either?

Johan
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UA,CX
Just myself, only the safari portion. I will fly there, 1 week visiting a city or both, depending, some beach time then 3 or 4 days in the Serengeti. I have managed to find an agency, hopefully for August, and we will see how much they quote.
I have no idea how much it is, I plan 1000/ 1200, including hotels.
I have seen prices for the whole package and the cheapest was north of $2500
Old Feb 3, 19, 7:38 am

We were searching for a Tanzania safari the last weeks and compared over 10 tour companies/itineraries to find the best price for most of the value.

It hardly depends on where to go and which level of accommodations. Of course, some operators take more profit than others.
- For the level of accommodations, it goes like this: tent - tented camps - lodges - hotels. Increasing in price.
- Accommodations outside of national parks are much cheaper than inside. Especially in Serengeti, they are higher priced.
- August is a good time of the year in Tanzania (warm, no rain, migration in the north of Serengeti)

In general, you have to consider round about $500-$550 per day for mid-range accommodation and $650-$700 per day for semi-luxury.
So 3-4 days would be roughly $2000 for one person.

Please note that the way into Central Serengeti takes some time. So going from Arusha to Central and then to North Serengeti (where the big migration is in August) and going back in 3-4days is nearly impossible.
There is the option to fly back from North Serengeti to Arusha, but this will cost around $300 additionally.

If you tell me more about what you want to see and whats your comfort level of accommodations I can help you with some prices.
I can also give you our feelings about the different tour operators and where we booked our tour.
Old Feb 10, 19, 5:45 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by zagorsky View Post
Just myself, only the safari portion. I will fly there, 1 week visiting a city or both, depending, some beach time then 3 or 4 days in the Serengeti. I have managed to find an agency, hopefully for August, and we will see how much they quote.
I have no idea how much it is, I plan 1000/ 1200, including hotels.
I have seen prices for the whole package and the cheapest was north of $2500
4 day 3 nights can be anything from 500 USD to 5000 and upwards, all inclusive.

500 is considered budget. 1500 is mid-range. 2500 is upscale but since you're out on safari sunup to sundown I find it hard to see the value in it (cost difference is attributed mostly to lodging)

Most operators will be offering 1000-2000 range.

By the way every single person from 500-5000 is riding in basically the same vehicle (landcruiser) on the same road in the same park. Guides/drivers share info via radio and in person so spotting experience is largely the same.

There's small nuisances between the experiences but for your original budget you should have a good time. Safaribookings.com is a good central engine
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 9:01 am

I can guarantee you with 1500 you make a luxury trip.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:45 pm

This may be in the wrong thread for forum, but anyone know if a 310mm lens reach is good enough for a Serengeti safari?

I don't know if I should get a longer one.

Search this Thread