Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

How to fly "cheap" to Capetown from Brussels

Old Nov 21, 18, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

My son plans to go to a XCO Junior series mtb race in Capetown on Feb 2nd 2019. He and I would be flying over from Brussels on 23/1 and travel back on 3 or 4/2... He should be back in school as soon as possible after the race and I back to work . It will be a lifetme experience for him!

I have travelled a lot with M&M over the years across Europe and beyond but ever since I changed jobs a while ago now not anymore. I still have some miles left to cash in but if there's a cheaper way to go there that would be my preference. Of course 1 mountainbike and spare parts and spare wheels should need to be shipped as well while we travel.

Any experiences, ideas, deals you can think of? Any penny would help to make his dream come through.
Old Nov 21, 18, 4:19 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by KrisMa View Post

Any experiences, ideas, deals you can think of? Any penny would help to make his dream come through.
If it was me I would just be booking the 1 stop through MUC or FRA on Lufthansa, this should be available for around $700, avoid making a stop in JNB as well as a European city, the chances of losing your MTB becomes non-negligible. There are plenty of other options as well.
Old Nov 22, 18, 12:46 am

There are plenty 1-stop flights you can take, either LH via MUC/FRA, LX via ZRH, AF via CDG, KL via AMS, BA via LHR etc. etc.
Double check luggage allowance, e.g. AF/KL is 2 bags while BA is 0 bags so you'll have to add that to the costs in some cases.
Old Nov 22, 18, 4:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, KrisMa!

Since the question is not about South African Airways, I am moving the thread to the Africa (destination) forum. Please continue discussion there.

NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator
Old Nov 22, 18, 5:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Thumbs up RwandAir generous luggage allowance

RwandAir flies from Brussels to Cape Town via its hub Kigali. Planes are brand new with IFE, and free WIFI. J fares are usually extremely attractive like €1200-1300 return
They run a promotion with generous luggage allowance of 3 pieces of 23kg in Eco, 4 pieces of 23kg in Business and 2 pieces of 32kg + 1 piece of 23kg in Premium Economy.
The promotion is for booking made until the 30th of November.
Alternatively extra luggage (23kg) costs only $115 for BRU-KGL-CPT or $8 per extra kg.
https://www.rwandair.com/baggage-cargo/
Old Nov 23, 18, 7:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Also, try Ethiopian Airlines. They do a daily flight into BRU, so that may also help. I have done a few flights into BRU lately, and out of JNB, they came in with some prices.
Old Nov 23, 18, 7:54 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Try search for fares out of Amsterdam too. Often very good/competitive fares are found from AMS. Currently BA has good offers to CPT and JHB in biz class from AMS.

Fares to CPT seems to be quite low at the moment. Around 650-700 EUR per pers. r/t should do it
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Try search for fares out of Amsterdam too. Often very good/competitive fares are found from AMS. Currently BA has good offers to CPT and JHB in biz class from AMS.

Fares to CPT seems to be quite low at the moment. Around 650-700 EUR per pers. r/t should do it
BA's Black Friday sale has CPT at €490 right now from France. Probably about the same from BRU.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-fr/offers/sale

Search this Thread