FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Interline between SA Airlink and Mango (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1941330-interline-between-sa-airlink-mango.html)

invisible Nov 19, 2018 8:51 am

Interline between SA Airlink and Mango

Given: flight from MQP to JNB via SA Airlink and departure from JNB to PLZ via Mango. Separate tickets, two hours between arrival/departure.

Questions:
- Do Airlink and Mango have interlining agreements on separate tickets?
- If not and pick up luggage and re-check is the only option, how much time will it take if this is domestic flight?
- If there will be no checked luggage, is it possible get boarding passes for Mango in transit area or do we have to get out and come back any way?

Thanks

Skatering Nov 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Granted this was 2016, and things may have changed, but I had a through ticket issued by SA (first segment Mango, second segment Airlink) but Mango and Airlink didn't have an interline agreement. So Mango issued both boarding passes but could only check my bag to JNB.

It was a totally bizarre situation, and I managed to re-check my bag minutes before the bag drop deadline.

That said, two hours is risky but doable.

invisible Nov 19, 2018 10:56 pm

Thanks. We will proceed with small light carry-on suitcases/backpacks then.

How about getting boarding passes for Mango online or transit area if we are not SA residents/citizens?

Ditto Nov 20, 2018 1:06 am

Given that you are connecting Int to Domestic, you will have to collect your bags in JNB anyway and recheck them, irrespective of whether or not your bags are checked through.
Also, you will have to clear immigration in JNB and head to the domestic terminal, I would advise on checking in online and printing your Mango BP in advance, otherwise you can either get them at the check-in counter or using the automated kiosks.

Bear in mind that queues of 1hr in immigration is not unheard of, so for a 2hr connection I wouldn't recommend on having checked luggage as bag drop/check-in closes 45min before the flight scheduled time, so make sure you have OLCI'd, otherwise I would advise a 3hr connection.

invisible Nov 20, 2018 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto (Post 30447860)
Given that you are connecting Int to Domestic.

You did not read the message carefully. It is two domestic flights.

Ditto Nov 20, 2018 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 30451523)
You did not read the message carefully. It is two domestic flights.

You are right, I was reading MPM instead of MPQ... for a D/D connection 2hrs should be plenty to collect bags & recheck, as long as your MPQ-JNB flight is on time.