Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape Town Hotel Choice: Hilton vs African Pride vs AC waterfront

Old Nov 12, 18, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Will be in Cape town for 5 nights in January, I have Marriott/SPG gold and Hilton Diamond status. I can stay at any of those three, I will be there with my wife, and we plan to do some foodie tasting, as well as go on some day trips/exploring.

That said, I've read lots of good things about African Pride, and some not so great things about Hilton. If hilton and AP are equitable, then I think I would go hilton cause I can just get the new ascend card and that can cover my whole stay.

That said, is the AC waterfront area a better/more walkable place? Walkability is very high on what we prefer.
Old Nov 20, 18, 7:45 am

Programs: BA BD SA
The AC is really only “in” the Waterfront in a very technical sense. I would rate its “walkability” as pretty low. To give an example: to walk to a restaurant in the V&A proper (BAIA, say) takes over half an hour according to Google Maps. And a lot of that walk is going to be pretty boring.

By contrast the African Pride is within 15 minutes of all the restaurants of Kloof Street, Bree Street, Long Street and more. The Hilton is somewhat less convenient - and not at all really for Kloof Street.
Old Nov 20, 18, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Have used Southern Sun The Cullinan a couple of times. Walkable into Long Street etc. for 2 OAPs and has a free regular shuttle bus to the V&A.

Not in the OP's hotel programmes, of course.
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up

I stayed at the African Price in Cape Town for 2 nights mid-Nov '18 (using points).
I enjoyed my stay, the hotel is not brand new but the location is great with easy access to the Table Mountain & Lion's Head.
I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast.
My room had a very view of the Table Mountain.
There is a parking in the basement which is convenient.

I did not hear any construction work but was gone during the day.
The top floor is under renovation, so no access to the pool.

Some pics:

View of the Table Mountain

2 large relaxing chairs

Bed

Desk & TV
Old Nov 23, 18, 10:32 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
The Hilton itself is a nice hotel (nice rooms and EL) but the downtown location is a dumb. Location wise the Waterfront is much better (admittedly, I have never stayed at the AC hotel nor at African Pride).

Unless revised since last year, the Hilton provides free shuttle bus the Waterfront each 2nd hour.
Old Nov 23, 18, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Cullinan shuttle to V&A is every 30 minutes! Just saying!
Old Nov 24, 18, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Assuming you are there for leisure, and absolutely want to use points for your stay, then out of the 3 you have mentioned I would say the African Pride option.
If you are wanting to be more in the Waterfront there is Breakwater Lodge by Marriott - more a good 3***, but easy walk into the Waterfront.

Search this Thread