Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Preference for airline to Dakar, Senegal (DSS)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Last year I traveled to Nigeria, for which I readily found advice to travel at least in Premium Economy or Business class on certain airlines (Lufthansa, above all) as a way of reducing possible hassles at the Lagos airport. This time, it's Dakar, for which I haven't found much discussion on the topic.
I was in Dakar once, about fifteen years ago, as an airline employee, so airport formalities and transportation had been completely taken care of for me.
I didn't get the impression then, and I don't get the impression now, that Dakar (the new DSS airport) is a place where any meaningful hassle is likely (and indeed in Lagos last year although I ran a gamut of implications by airport employees to pay bribes, none of them were forceful nor caused any trouble).

Just checking: Travelers who have been to Dakar in general, and to the new DSS airport in particular, is it particularly recommendable to fly only particular airlines (coming from Europe), or to book a non-tourist class of service, as a way of avoiding unnecessary inconveniences?
.. or does Dakar/DSS function basically correctly with any European carrier and regardless of class of service?

many thanks,
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:27 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Easy

I have been through DSS twice in the last three months, arriving on Air Côté d'ivoire and air Burkina, departing on Iberia both times. It's very easy, straightforward and 'western' - use whoever fits best with your schedule/price preferences.
libove likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
In my experience, for Lagos Airport it didn't really matter whether you travel in biz or econ - the level of hassle is the same.

DKR and now DSS are much more western. I wouldn't expect any LOS-like hassles there.
libove likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.