Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone have done 'Inland' Garden Route in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Anyone have done 'Inland' Garden Route in South Africa

Our South Africa trip includes Route 60/62 from Plettenberg Bay to Stellenbosch via Route 62/60 passing/staying at Knysna, George, to towards Oudtshoorn, then Barrydale, Swellendam, Montagu - what would you recommend NOT to miss?

Interests are nature/hikes/sights, small, unusual museums, history, obviously food.

Thanks.

Last edited by invisible; Dec 4, 2018 at 11:13 am
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Hello, anyone?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I did more or less that route in January 1990. I'm not into stuff like the Cango Caves, ostrich farms, ostrich riding, etc, so I've not had reason to do it again.

The route is pretty enough in places, I'll grant that.

Johan
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: BA BD SA
If you have time you might consider doing a very scenic loop from Oudtshoorn via Meiringspoort to Prince Albert and back via the Swartberg Pass.

According to Google Maps this will add about 3 hours of driving. But it is worth it for the spectacular scenery. Prince Albert is a "dorp" (village) that has become a bit of a retreat for city folk and so is slightly yuppiefied compared to most Karoo towns and is interesting in a very modest way.

If that seems too much you could get a taste of the spectacular mountain scenery by taking the R323 between Calitzdorp and Ladismith into Seweweekspoort. (A steep narrow mountain pass following a river.) You will have to come back out the same way as it doesn't lead anywhere interesting compared to the route via the Klein Karoo. (The R323 is a well-maintained gravel road.)

The drive onward from Oudtshoorn through the Klein Karoo via Ladismith and Barrydale to Montagu is lovely. (In the middle of nowhere you pass the gaudily signposted Ronnie's Sex Shop - it's just a bar with a catchy name actually.) Over another mountain pass and you're into wine country: Ashton, Robertson, Worcester.

I have found decent eateries in Prince Albert, Barrydale and Swellendam in the past but don’t want to make recommendations as it was too long ago. I would be guided by TripAdvisor or Google.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know I'm repeating myself here for the umpteenth time, but the best option by far in my opinion is to zigzag between the coast and the Klein Karoo, driving as many mountain passes as possible. They vary from spectacular to stunning, none will fail to impress.

This will of course only work if you allow sufficient time.

Johan
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Our South Africa trip includes Route 60/62 from Plettenberg Bay to Stellenbosch via Route 62/60 passing/staying at Knysna, George, to towards Oudtshoorn, then Barrydale, Swellendam, Montagu - what would you recommend NOT to miss?

Interests are nature/hikes/sights, small, unusual museums, history, obviously food.

Thanks.
Don't know if you've been yet but Swellendam is a cute little place to stop at for a night or two. We were there Dec 2016 and shortly going back there for a few nights combined with Montagu. Can recommend a place to stay and to eat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.