Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

driving from Victoria Falls through Kasane, Botswana to Ngoma, Namibia

Old Oct 30, 18, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA PLAT, DL DM

Has anyone driven from Victoria Falls through Kasane, Botswana to Ngoma, Namibia?

Is it a safe drive?

Any recommendations on how to make the drive: rent a car at the Victoria Falls airport (VFA) or just hire a driver/taxi?

Here is a link to google maps with the 2+ hour drive
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Vict...17.9170233!3e0
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should be just fine.

Johan
Old Nov 1, 18, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Should be just fine.

Johan
Did you make the drive? How were the roads?

Does not look like there is much to do in Ngoma, Zamibia, is it worth the 45 minute drive from Ngoma, Zamibia up to Lusese, Kabbe & Bukalo?
Old Nov 2, 18, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't give you a fresh road status update, but I've been up and down those roads, from one end of the Caprivi to the other and on to Botswana and Zimbabwe, numerous times over the last three decades. Never had a problem, and the roads have mostly been in pretty decent condition.

There was a period a decade or so ago when the Caprivi was declared "dangerous" and travelers were strongly advised to proceed along the Golden Highway in military convoys only. I used to watch these convoys drive past with a mixture of amazement and amusement.

Johan
Old Nov 2, 18, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Can't give you a fresh road status update, but I've been up and down those roads, from one end of the Caprivi to the other and on to Botswana and Zimbabwe, numerous times over the last three decades. Never had a problem, and the roads have mostly been in pretty decent condition.

There was a period a decade or so ago when the Caprivi was declared "dangerous" and travelers were strongly advised to proceed along the Golden Highway in military convoys only. I used to watch these convoys drive past with a mixture of amazement and amusement.

Johan
Thank you Johan for the information, greatly appreciated. Do you still have any family or friends in the area?
Old Nov 2, 18, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimcoddington View Post
Thank you Johan for the information, greatly appreciated. Do you still have any family or friends in the area?
My pleasure.

Nobody in the immediate area at the moment.

Johan
Old Nov 21, 18, 5:57 am

We went across the Botswana-Zimbabwe border in both directions on that road in September and, contrary to what we had been told, the crossing formalities were speedy (certainly by African standards). Apparently they've recently revised the arrangements on the Zimbabwe side and it's a lot more efficient.
There are still a lot of roadworks and queuing lorries around the ferry (eventually to be a bridge) crossing in to Zambia on the Botswana side, but we got through that section quite quickly, too.
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrMarkMicro View Post
We went across the Botswana-Zimbabwe border in both directions on that road in September and, contrary to what we had been told, the crossing formalities were speedy (certainly by African standards). Apparently they've recently revised the arrangements on the Zimbabwe side and it's a lot more efficient.
There are still a lot of roadworks and queuing lorries around the ferry (eventually to be a bridge) crossing in to Zambia on the Botswana side, but we got through that section quite quickly, too.
Thank you for the information, I really do appreciate it.

Did you rent your car at Livingstone, Zambia (LVI) airport? The reason I ask is because you mentioned a ferry/bridge on your drive, from what I can tell on Google Maps is that there is a ferry/bridge when crossing from Zambia into Botswana, close to Kasane, Botswana, so you probably rented your car in LVI. If I rent a car in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe airport (VFA), it does not look like I have to cross any bodies of water on my drive according to Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Vict...17.9170233!3e0

Did you do a day trip driving from Victoria Fall, or did you stay in Namibia? Do you mind sharing what you did, I would be very interested?
Old Nov 21, 18, 9:30 am

In both directions we were actually on shared minibus transfers arranged with Wild Horizons. We didn't hire a car, but certainly if you ever want a transfer in that area we'd recommend WH, who were efficient and had good vehicles and drivers.
The bridge is currently being built from Botswana (west of the border crossing in to Zimbabwe) across the river north in to Zambia. There's an old ferry crossing there, which the bridge is replacing, which is notorious for causing truck back-ups for days or weeks.
Old Nov 21, 18, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrMarkMicro View Post
In both directions we were actually on shared minibus transfers arranged with Wild Horizons. We didn't hire a car, but certainly if you ever want a transfer in that area we'd recommend WH, who were efficient and had good vehicles and drivers.
The bridge is currently being built from Botswana (west of the border crossing in to Zimbabwe) across the river north in to Zambia. There's an old ferry crossing there, which the bridge is replacing, which is notorious for causing truck back-ups for days or weeks.
Thank you, I have heard good things about Wild Horizons (WH).

When you took the ferry from Zambia into Botswana with WH, how long of a wait did you have before the WH vehicle was able to get onto the ferry? The reason I ask is because I am still debating to rent a car in VFA or LVI. If I rent a car at LVI, then the best route is taking the ferry from Zambia into Botswana, but if I rent the car at VFA, then I can easily drive from Zimbabwe into Botswana with not worrying about the ferry.
Old Nov 22, 18, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by jimcoddington View Post
Thank you, I have heard good things about Wild Horizons (WH).

When you took the ferry from Zambia into Botswana with WH, how long of a wait did you have before the WH vehicle was able to get onto the ferry? The reason I ask is because I am still debating to rent a car in VFA or LVI. If I rent a car at LVI, then the best route is taking the ferry from Zambia into Botswana, but if I rent the car at VFA, then I can easily drive from Zimbabwe into Botswana with not worrying about the ferry.
We didn't use that ferry: we had return road transfers between Vic Falls and Kasane. One of the drivers was chatting to us about the bridge/ferry and holdups, and we had spoken to a variety of people in the past who had said the Botswana-Zimbabwe border crossing on that road used to be awful (2.5h delays not unusual).
Old Dec 10, 18, 7:42 pm

The roads in Botswana and Namibia are quite good condition. In Botswana, you'll probably even see some Elephants on the side of the road nearby to the Chobe National Park.
Old Dec 10, 18, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jcnyc View Post
The roads in Botswana and Namibia are quite good condition. In Botswana, you'll probably even see some Elephants on the side of the road nearby to the Chobe National Park.
Did you make the drive from Victoria Falls through Kasane, Botswana to Ngoma, Namibia? If not, where did you drive to?

Search this Thread