Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

New airport tax in Tanzania eff since 1st of October 2018

Old Oct 4, 18, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club

The Tanzania Airport Authority has introduced a security levy imposed to passengers boarding aircraft at major domestic and international airports across territorial boundaries of Tanzania, and it is likely to also affect foreign tourists booked to visit this African destination.

The new security levy will affect both foreign and domestic travelers booked with airlines flying inside and outside Tanzania.

Tanzania Airports Authority (TAA) Director General Richard Mayongela said that foreign travelers boarding aircraft at major airports in Tanzania will pay US$5 while those boarding domestic flights will pay a US$2 security fee on top of the flight ticket price.
Some websites stated that it has been implemented the 1st of October, and others stipulate it will be effective from 1st of November!

https://allafrica.com/stories/201809260001.html
New security levy set to push up air ticket prices - News The Citizen
united78 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 18, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm not going to stress about an extra $5, but I wonder if it will apply to East African citizens and residents? Or do only TZ citizens escape this tax?
Old Oct 9, 18, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I'm not going to stress about an extra $5, but I wonder if it will apply to East African citizens and residents? Or do only TZ citizens escape this tax?
Yes to all, unlike the ferry (discount for TZ nationals only) or hotels, activities and some domestic flights with attractive East African fares.
However people who already purchased the ticket before the annoucement won't have to pay this fee!

Search this Thread