Kruger Vs Chobe

Old Sep 25, 18, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Kruger Vs Chobe

We will be on a cruise in SA for 10 days but want to do a safari after as well as Vic falls. We will be traveling in February any advise is appreciated. We will have a few days in Cape Town before cruise.
Old Oct 11, 18, 9:10 pm

Programs: Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Chobe is in Botswana, Kruger in South Africa, Victoria Falls is Zambia, Zimbabwe if you go to both views. Be sure you check out all the visas you will need. Take a look at a map and see which route will work best for you. Time moving from one area to another should be considered.

If choosing one, I would choose Kruger. I like Sabi Sands, very nice, going back again next year.

February is rainy time so the falls could be beautiful, or if lots of rain they may have closed for high water.

Last edited by Jeannietx; Oct 11, 18 at 9:43 pm Reason: add info
Old Oct 12, 18, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for info, yes I am aware of checking visa’s needed but was not aware Vic Falls could be closed end of Feb
Old Oct 12, 18, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jeannietx View Post
February is rainy time so the falls could be beautiful, or if lots of rain they may have closed for high water.
The amount of water coming down the Zambezi depends on rainfall in the entire catchment area, which stretches as far back as the Angolan highlands. It takes time (several months) for the water to reach Victoria Falls, so levels usually peak towards the very end of the rainy season, in April or so. The amount of rain that falls locally has almost zero impact on the falls themselves.

Very high water levels are actually not desirable, as the amount of spray can severely restrict views of the falls themselves. Intermediate levels are best, i.e. January and August.

Rainfall of course also varies considerably from year to year, so YMMV.

Johan
Counterpointing and HGOLI like this.
Old Jan 16, 19, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

So if I chose to go early Feb like Feb 5 2020 would you think that would be good and how do you plan with flights far ahead if the possibility is closure.
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We were at the falls in May. The first 2 view sites were fine. From then on we were more in a massive shower, could not see, take pictures or appreciate anything. The tour guide had supplied rain coats, kept us 1/2 dry. Did not bring our camera. It will get damaged. Thank you for some research and some friends. Glad we went, but May (April) are iffy months for several of the view points in the "park" on the Zimbabwe side. I was unaware that they sometimes close the park. They change to go in, seems like such a poor country would never close the gates.

Now, if you go on your own, ponchos are rentable before you enter the park. Some people walk there from their motels, I would NOT recommend this. Also with all this running water, it is good to know that there are a couple toi's in the park.
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranles View Post
I was unaware that they sometimes close the park. They change to go in, seems like such a poor country would never close the gates.
I remember the days when they did not charge anything, the falls were not even fenced. You could go any time of day and night, it was perfectly safe, as was walking anywhere in town itself.

Johan
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LillianJ View Post
So if I chose to go early Feb like Feb 5 2020 would you think that would be good
Water volumes vary from year to year, as well between seasons, so I can't give you a definite answer, but in most years February is a good month. Enough water for the falls to look spectacular, not too much to spoil your view. The chance of a closure is very remote.

In general, during the peak months when the water is really coming down in buckets, the best views will be had from the Zambian side.

Johan
Old Jan 19, 19, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My most recent visit was May. The views are definitely better from the Zambian side when the water is high but itís still an impressive spectacle on the Zim side.

Absolutely no issues about walking to the Falls from town during daylight hours (and around town after dark).

Search this Thread