FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Issues with driving in Morocco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1932134-issues-driving-morocco.html)

MaxVO Sep 24, 2018 12:51 am

Issues with driving in Morocco

I'm considering a visit to Morocco that would include a stay in a couple of cities (Rabat or Casablanca, and Marrakech) as well as a trip to scenic or historic villages in the Atlas Mountains or the Sahara Desert. What do I need to know about the roads and driving in Morocco to decide if a rental car would be a viable option for the less populated part of the trip?

Are there city or airport locations where renters had acceptable experiences? Most rental reviews I came across are uniformly negative.

Do rental agencies in Morocco provide a driver option with their cars, as in a few other developing countries?

Am I likely to encounter difficult traffic conditions or many unpaved roads?
As far as trips to the remote locations, I'm open to either day trips from Marrakech or hotel/riad hopping between villages.

stimpy Sep 24, 2018 3:06 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 30238228)
I'm considering a visit to Morocco that would include a stay in a couple of cities (Rabat or Casablanca, and Marrakech) as well as a trip to scenic or historic villages in the Atlas Mountains or the Sahara Desert. What do I need to know about the roads and driving in Morocco to decide if a rental car would be a viable option for the less populated part of the trip?

Are there city or airport locations where renters had acceptable experiences? Most rental reviews I came across are uniformly negative.

Do rental agencies in Morocco provide a driver option with their cars, as in a few other developing countries?

Am I likely to encounter difficult traffic conditions or many unpaved roads?
As far as trips to the remote locations, I'm open to either day trips from Marrakech or hotel/riad hopping between villages.

I driven my own car and friends cars, but have had no issues with road quality. The roads are pretty good and they are toll roads between the major cities. In the cities themselves you have to drive very slowly and carefully or the police will stop you and ask to pay a fine. It is effectively a bribe and a relatively small amount of money.

If renting, you should be OK with a major brand like Hertz or Avis. Otherwise I wouldn't try a lesser name.

nkob Sep 26, 2018 4:38 am

roads are okaybut local roads could have a pothole of 2
some are under construction so as part of tichka road but its not a big problem
weather could cause some problems on local roads
its a good idear to to fillup gasoil when you have less then 50%
have a good holiday itsa beautifulll country
kees

MaxVO Sep 26, 2018 5:09 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 30238495)
I driven my own car and friends cars, but have had no issues with road quality. The roads are pretty good and they are toll roads between the major cities. In the cities themselves you have to drive very slowly and carefully or the police will stop you and ask to pay a fine. It is effectively a bribe and a relatively small amount of money.

If renting, you should be OK with a major brand like Hertz or Avis. Otherwise I wouldn't try a lesser name.

Many thanks for the driving tips. As far as renting, would it be correct to assume that you did not personally rent from either Hertz or Avis in Morocco? For example if you click on the Avis/Budget location at RAK airport, all comments from actual renters scream to avoid that joint. I have not seen another solid 1.0 avg. review score for any other business, even kidnapping or drug-smuggling cartels. Hertz is not doing much better, while the local "lesser names" getting the top marks. Are all those reviews not genuine?

nkob Sep 26, 2018 5:27 am

revieuws are very depending on the mood off the writer
genuine i dont know
i live here since 8 years and i use ,,foxcars .. in ouarzazate
about rent a car with driver option i can give you a emailadres [email protected]
he is licenced guide and have a large network in marocco
greetings
kees

stimpy Sep 26, 2018 7:39 am

There's a different Hertz and Avis experience with corporate renters and public renters. I've seen these kinds of complaints about Hertz and Avis in various countries around the world from private renters, but I've never had a problem in those countries when booking under my corporation. I think another general issue is that Americans expect Hertz and Avis to operate the same in other countries. And they don't. Especially if you return the car with scratches and nicks or worse. If you take care of the car and do everything correctly you should have no issues. So while it's correct that I've not rented in Morocco, I fully expect that I would have no issues renting there. I've rented in many more difficult countries.

chgoeditor Oct 4, 2018 6:18 pm

I've rented from Sixt in Tangier and returned it in Casa. I find most Moroccan highways to be excellent, though as others have noted, construction is common, particularly on minor highways. We drove a minor highway from Tetouan to Chefchaouen and encountered road construction (the entire highway was dirt) but assumed it would only last a mile or two. 90 kilometers later...

If I had to give you any advice, look for a car rental/return at airports or the outskirts of cities. Driving in Casa, Tangier, Fes, Marrakech or Rabat is not for the feint of heart.

mczlaw Oct 5, 2018 6:01 pm

Having just finished five days in Marrakech, I could not imagine trying to drive in the city. The rules of road are interpreted with great fluidity there.

MaxVO Oct 6, 2018 12:55 am

Originally Posted by mczlaw (Post 30283897)
Having just finished five days in Marrakech, I could not imagine trying to drive in the city. The rules of road are interpreted with great fluidity there.

Did you not drive at all during your stay there, or was able to get out of town without driving through the city? I see on the map that there are several big hotels located in the less congested part between the train station and airport.

nkob Oct 6, 2018 1:09 am

you have to drive slow in the beginning and be predictable
after a day you become to understand and there will be less problems to adapt
i prefer driving in marrakech and marokko more then in amsterdam and holland
greetings kees

stimpy Oct 7, 2018 3:48 am

Originally Posted by nkob (Post 30284633)
you have to drive slow in the beginning and be predictable
after a day you become to understand and there will be less problems to adapt
i prefer driving in marrakech and marokko more then in amsterdam and holland
greetings kees

I agree. You have to be hyper-aware in most Dutch cities with your eyes roving across in all 3 mirrors. Also many sub-saharan African cities where the small motorcycles outnumber the cars and zip in and out with little caution. Marrakech is relatively easy.

chgoeditor Oct 8, 2018 11:17 am

If navigating cities while driving, don't hesitate to hire a cab to lead you to your destination. It's often the easiest way.

MaxVO Oct 8, 2018 2:06 pm

Is diesel fuel widely available in Morocco? It's good to know ahead of time, just in case a diesel car becomes available.

stimpy Oct 9, 2018 1:54 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 30292897)
Is diesel fuel widely available in Morocco? It's good to know ahead of time, just in case a diesel car becomes available.

Yes diesel is widely available around most of the world, with the exception of America. Certainly all over Europe and Africa it's everywhere. That said there is a new push to phase out diesel in Europe in the next 20 years or so. I'm sure in Africa it will last much, much longer.

pepe C Oct 25, 2018 4:13 am

We just returned from a week in the rural area between Ouarzazate and Merzouga and we didn't have a problem driving there. Roads are in excellent condition. Learn the rules of right of way at roundabouts, don't drive at dusk or at night, don't speed, stop when the traffic light is orange and be careful around cyclists, animals and crossing pedestrians in the villages.