Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Issues with driving in Morocco

Issues with driving in Morocco

Old Oct 29, 18, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by pepe C View Post
We just returned from a week in the rural area between Ouarzazate and Merzouga and we didn't have a problem driving there. Roads are in excellent condition. Learn the rules of right of way at roundabouts, don't drive at dusk or at night, don't speed, stop when the traffic light is orange and be careful around cyclists, animals and crossing pedestrians in the villages.
Regarding roundabouts: Once of the best pieces of advice I've received is that you should assume you're entering the roundabout at 6 o'clock and the navigator should tell you to exit at 12, 3, 9, etc. While it's sort of counterintuitive to think of entering at 6, it makes complete sense once you're doing it. (Of course, this assumes you're of the generations that can read analog clocks.)
Old Oct 30, 18, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
Regarding roundabouts: Once of the best pieces of advice I've received is that you should assume you're entering the roundabout at 6 o'clock and the navigator should tell you to exit at 12, 3, 9, etc.
Which navigator uses that terminology, and specific to Morocco or in general?
IME Google Directions and possibly Waze identify roundabout exits as 1st, 2nd, and 3d. Occasionally a simple intersection may be incorrectly identified as a roundabout -- in which case those "exits" would respectively mean right turn, straight, and left turn.
Old Oct 30, 18, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Which navigator uses that terminology, and specific to Morocco or in general?
IME Google Directions and possibly Waze identify roundabout exits as 1st, 2nd, and 3d. Occasionally a simple intersection may be incorrectly identified as a roundabout -- in which case those "exits" would respectively mean right turn, straight, and left turn.
I was referring to human navigators! (It was actually advice I originally received before driving in Ireland.)