FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Hotels in Yaounde (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1931989-hotels-yaounde.html)

frontenac551 Sep 23, 2018 12:08 am

Hotels in Yaounde

Has anyone spent time in Yaounde? Other than the Hilton are there any solid (4* ish) hotels? I'll be there for work for a few days in November and we can generally choose our own hotels (working with the Ministry of Health and haven't been told yet where they'll hold the workshop, but I often just choose my own hotel and travel to workshop hotel/office as needed). The Hilton is above what my per diem covers for hotel, but work doesn't care (they just don't give me more than the per diem) and I'm flying to foot the difference if Hilton is much nicer than the cheaper options.

From Europe, any preferences between Brussels Airlines versus Air France? I have to connect somewhere either way (be it CDG or BRU). I'd be in J (1K with UA - so Gold with Star Alliance and Gold with Flying Blue).

stimpy Sep 23, 2018 8:33 am

I've not stayed at the Hilton but it's regarded as the best in town. And it's certainly the most expensive. However the chain hotels are not world class in Cameroon. Although its the best hotel, it won't be that great overall.

I've flown both AF and SN in biz to DLA. AF is better, but SN is just fine. In your case I'd book SN on the United website to get the 1K 11x multiplier. That's exactly what I did a year ago to DLA. Note that the flights stop at DLA in each direction.

frontenac551 Sep 23, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks. And, yes, I'm thinking similar to the Sheraton in Kampala or the Hilton in Abuja. Not London Park Lane.

The problem with the 11x multipler is that my tickets are generally purchased through SN (I'm based in Europe). However, I just looked and the price on UA.com is about the same as through SN (though our travel agency can usually get better prices than I can see). If the UA.com price is similar, I can try to get them to book through UA. The issue with AF is that, I just realised, they don't go every day and the most likely day of my return is a day that they don't have the return flight (of course). Also, looks like some flights may be on the older planes where J has middle and/or "angle flat" seats

I've done SN a few times to various places in Africa, so familiar with them.

I've re-qualified for 1K for next year but not yet for Flying Blue Gold, which is tips to the favour of AF (though can only choose if the price is similar, otherwise I have to go with cheapest).

stimpy Sep 23, 2018 10:53 am

Originally Posted by frontenac551 (Post 30236115)
Thanks. And, yes, I'm thinking similar to the Sheraton in Kampala or the Hilton in Abuja. Not London Park Lane.

The problem with the 11x multipler is that my tickets are generally purchased through SN (I'm based in Europe). However, I just looked and the price on UA.com is about the same as through SN (though our travel agency can usually get better prices than I can see). If the UA.com price is similar, I can try to get them to book through UA. The issue with AF is that, I just realised, they don't go every day and the most likely day of my return is a day that they don't have the return flight (of course). Also, looks like some flights may be on the older planes where J has middle and/or "angle flat" seats

If it's as good as the Sheraton Kampala you should be very happy. That's one of the better sub-saharan hotels.

I too am generally Europe based, but you can still purchase ex-EU Star Alliance flights directly from United or on United stock if using an agent. I think you are right that AF still has the angled seats on this route so SN wins in that respect, especially for the return flight. I'm not sure what value FB Gold has. I'm LTP and I'm not even sure what value that has anymore if you are already in business class.

frontenac551 Sep 24, 2018 2:19 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 30236254)

I too am generally Europe based, but you can still purchase ex-EU Star Alliance flights directly from United or on United stock if using an agent. I think you are right that AF still has the angled seats on this route so SN wins in that respect, especially for the return flight. I'm not sure what value FB Gold has. I'm LTP and I'm not even sure what value that has anymore if you are already in business class.

I know that *can* get the tickets on UA stock - just cannot always get them to do so (but should be able to if I find a ticket for the same price).

Agreed also that status doesn't help much when already in Business (though *Gold gets me into better lounges than just the J ticket in places with LX and LH lounges (and some SN)). However, I need points to keep my FB Gold but don't need points to keep my UA 1K. So, might be a good flight to do that.

All the AF flights I looked at had the new 1x2x1 seating (when going through the booking to the point of seat selection) but I assume that that is subject to change.

Thanks for your help. If I end up at the Hilton, I'll report back on how it is.