Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seychelles Airport Transfer and Half Board Advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Seychelles Airport Transfer and Half Board Advice

My wife and I have 5 nights booked at the Constance Ephelia in February, and I am researching airport transfers there. We will be coming off of ORD>DOH>SEZ so I do not think I will want to drive myself. The hotel offers transport for 150 euros round trip. Is this reasonable for two people, or should I look elsewhere? Any suggestions on where else to look?

We are also doing the hotel's half board option, which will be a new experience for the both of us. Breakfast and dinner are taken care of, but we handle lunch and drinks on our own. Does anyone have suggestions on how to minimize expenses here? I know we are going to an expensive destination, but if it is easy to run down to town for water or lunch supplies, we would like to do that. Any cost saving tips would be appreciated!

Last edited by shimps1; Sep 17, 2018 at 12:56 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:45 pm

I don't think that airport transfer cost is too high. A few kilometers in a taxi can cost 20 or 30 euros. And the hotel you selected is not close to the airport and the most direct routes to it are winding roads over the mountain. There are not many independent restaurants though nearby, so the half-board only makes sense if you are going to secure a rental car and/or use the local buses, but not if you are going to stay primarily at the resort. But the cost of the round trip transfer would be negated if you picked up a car at the airport on arrival and returned it when you leave. The counter-argument is that the roads are narrow and steep, and not built to first world standards, and driving is on the left, so after a long flight maybe it makes sense to use the resort transfer services. If so, you might inquire with the hotel if a rental car can be secured on site after you have arrived and rested up.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drseagrass
I don't think that airport transfer cost is too high. A few kilometers in a taxi can cost 20 or 30 euros. And the hotel you selected is not close to the airport and the most direct routes to it are winding roads over the mountain. There are not many independent restaurants though nearby, so the half-board only makes sense if you are going to secure a rental car and/or use the local buses, but not if you are going to stay primarily at the resort. But the cost of the round trip transfer would be negated if you picked up a car at the airport on arrival and returned it when you leave. The counter-argument is that the roads are narrow and steep, and not built to first world standards, and driving is on the left, so after a long flight maybe it makes sense to use the resort transfer services. If so, you might inquire with the hotel if a rental car can be secured on site after you have arrived and rested up.

Thank you. The hotel does have a rental car desk, so we can rent daily from there if needed.

Could you expand on your half board thoughts? We booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards, and the half board was the highest level of inclusion we could choose. Honestly, we do have free cancellation, so if there is a better hotel to recommend, I would be open to it.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:25 am

Oh, I just thought if you were staying there and you had breakfast and dinner covered, you would have to find some place to eat lunch each day, and there are not many restaurants in the area. If you have a rental car though, you should be fine, and you probably want to be out exploring the island anyway. In addition to restaurants and small markets, there is also some local agriculture and fresh fruits and vegetables are available, if you seek them out. When we visited Mahé a couple years back, we rented an apartment, so I can't comment on the Constance Ephelia, nor did we eat at their restaurant, but its location is out of town, quiet and close to the highest mountain on the island (a trail leads to the top), and it is a beautiful island. The west side of the island is more wind-swept, but there are beaches that are sheltered. I hope you enjoy your visit.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:41 am

Constance Ephelia resort takes up the peninsula at left center of photo
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC
I have pm'd you a number for a local taxi driver we used while on our honeymoon in the Seychelles. He was very good value, so I suspect you will get a cheaper rate than the hotel quoted price from him. He also does tour guide trips and knows everything and everyone on the island.

With regards to keeping the costs down at the Constance E... We stayed at the sister hotel on Praslin half board. For the 4 nights we were there we racked up about 500 euros on lunches and drinks. It is not the cheapest place to eat and drink, the wine is especially expensive. A cheap white being around 60 euros. You could always ask teh taxi driver to stop at a supermarket on the way and stock up on some drinks, snacks etc.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Nasty price for wine noted!! Mercifully we’re both light eaters, so a good breakfast sees us through until dinner. But that wine price tends to delete SEZ from our thinking ... we’ll stick to South Africa, or AI in the Caribbean.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
Nasty price for wine noted!! Mercifully we’re both light eaters, so a good breakfast sees us through until dinner. But that wine price tends to delete SEZ from our thinking ... we’ll stick to South Africa, or AI in the Caribbean.
The breakfast was very generous and decent quality, so wouldn't be difficult to skip lunch or just get a light snack.

Yes the price of the wine is eye watering... you just have to remember its not cheap to have to import everything by boat to paradise. We were fortunate that the second part of our honeymoon was all inclusive so we went easy while at Constance lemuria and got our monies worth at the second hotel!

I am not sure what the drinks prices are like at other hotels but at the Constance lemuria, if you are used to SA pricing then you will feel like you are being taken for a ride.
T8191 and Wanderwithme like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.