Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Marrakech - where else to visit in the area?

Marrakech - where else to visit in the area?

Reply

Old Jul 17, 18, 4:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NYC/WAS
Posts: 53
Marrakech - where else to visit in the area?

Solo traveler planning to spend three nights in Marrakech, mostly planning to do private guided tours (will accept recommendations please!), photography, and wandering around. Where else in the area can I visit while on the trip? I was looking at Algiers and Tunis, which seem to be lesser versions of many Moroccan cities. I know Fez and to some degree Tangier are also popular, but are these places similar enough to Marrakech? Thanks!

Also I do not speak any languages besides English.

Last edited by bluegatorade; Jul 17, 18 at 4:31 pm
bluegatorade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 18, 7:56 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
Posts: 99
Hi bluegatorade,

We spend quite a bit of time in Marrakech, it's a super fun city with lots going on. If you're looking for a day trip, you could head out to the Atlas Mountains for a day or so, or even stay up there for a night too (e.g Kasbah du Toubkal). Plenty of hikes, or in the desert not far from Marrakech there are camps you can stay at.
roadwarrier likes this.
MrAndMrsJones is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 18, 8:25 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: LIS, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Gold
Posts: 7,307
I don't like Marrakech - it's too touristy.

I'd say that Marrakech is different from Fez and very different from Tunis (which I find to be nicer and less touristy).

In Morocco I enjoyed Rabat/Salť - much less touristy and more authentic.Casablanca is worth Ĺ day. Tangier is an interesting border town that's also worth a day or so.
Palal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 18, 2:42 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NYC/WAS
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
I don't like Marrakech - it's too touristy.

I'd say that Marrakech is different from Fez and very different from Tunis (which I find to be nicer and less touristy).

In Morocco I enjoyed Rabat/Salť - much less touristy and more authentic.Casablanca is worth Ĺ day. Tangier is an interesting border town that's also worth a day or so.
How long would you spend at Fez or Tunis vs Rabat?
bluegatorade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 18, 3:59 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: LIS, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Gold
Posts: 7,307
Originally Posted by bluegatorade View Post
How long would you spend at Fez or Tunis vs Rabat?
Tunis is worth 2-3 days: Carthage ruins which are nearby, are worth a good chunk of a day, half a day to see the Bardo museum and a day to enjoy, walk around and get lost in the city.
Rabat is worth an overnight stay. There are a few historical sights around, plus the main palace complex to check out.
Fez - it depends who you ask. A day or two should do it justice

Marrakech to Rabat is doable by train (check the timetables on ONCF's website), Rabat to Fez is also doable by train. Getting to Tuins requires flying.
Palal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 18, 5:03 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Posts: 1,570
Palal, did you have time to go to El Jem or Dougga while in Tunis?

We're going to Algeria and Tunisia and then thinking of stopping in Morocco at the end -- 3 days total and trying to do a day in each RAK and FEZ. Morocco seems much more touristy than Algeria and Tunisia and doesn't interest us as much. Don't want to spend too much time where but wondering if it's worth a brief visit.
LAX_Esq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 5:52 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NYC/WAS
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq View Post
Palal, did you have time to go to El Jem or Dougga while in Tunis?

We're going to Algeria and Tunisia and then thinking of stopping in Morocco at the end -- 3 days total and trying to do a day in each RAK and FEZ. Morocco seems much more touristy than Algeria and Tunisia and doesn't interest us as much. Don't want to spend too much time where but wondering if it's worth a brief visit.
would like to see what you have for Algiers as well. Thatís one of the places Iím considering too.

Alternatively I may go north instead of horizontally. Like here: Spring Break in Tunisia, Lampedusa, Sicily and Provence. UA/LH/TU/M4/FR/EZ/BA
bluegatorade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 4:55 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Posts: 1,570
Originally Posted by bluegatorade View Post


would like to see what you have for Algiers as well. Thatís one of the places Iím considering too.

Alternatively I may go north instead of horizontally. Like here: Spring Break in Tunisia, Lampedusa, Sicily and Provence. UA/LH/TU/M4/FR/EZ/BA
The plan is Algiers --> Ghardaia --> Constantine --> Tunis...
LAX_Esq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 18, 2:19 pm
  #9  
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 2,492
We're spending early January in Marrakesh as a family. The Atlas Mt day or overnight trip, as mentioned above, appears to be a must-do. Our plan was to hire a driver when we are there. Any tips or suggestions? We are already booked in Marrakesh, so other activities and day trip suggestions from a Marrakesh home base would be welcome.
StartinSanDiego is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread