Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Lagos day trips

Lagos day trips

Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Lagos day trips

Next week I have a business trip to Lagos, but will have a full free day before my evening flight home.

I could stay in the hotel, but i'm fairly adventurous, so was hoping to explore a bit. I know Lagos isn't the quintessential tourist destination, so I need some advice:

- Where to go for the day? In town there doesn't seem to be a lot to see. Badagry Town looks interesting, but it's quite a distance from Lagos. The Lekki Conservation Centre also looks interesting, but again is a bit of a journey. I'm staying in a hotel up near the airport. Any good beach clubs?

- How to get around. I'm a little worried about security, and so i'm interested in hiring a driver with a car (and security guard?). I can't find much information on cars and drivers online....can anyone point me in the right direction (feel free to send me a message).

- Traffic. I understand that in the last few years the traffic in Lagos has improved - are the Google Map timings to be believed, or should I had a few hours onto every journey?

Thanks for any advice
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:27 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by shefgab
Next week I have a business trip to Lagos, but will have a full free day before my evening flight home.

I could stay in the hotel, but i'm fairly adventurous, so was hoping to explore a bit. I know Lagos isn't the quintessential tourist destination, so I need some advice:

- Where to go for the day? In town there doesn't seem to be a lot to see. Badagry Town looks interesting, but it's quite a distance from Lagos. The Lekki Conservation Centre also looks interesting, but again is a bit of a journey. I'm staying in a hotel up near the airport. Any good beach clubs?
No idea - I never seem to have any free time. A very long time ago, Tarkwa Bay was the place to go, but no idea how/if that still works with the land reclamation...

- How to get around. I'm a little worried about security, and so i'm interested in hiring a driver with a car (and security guard?). I can't find much information on cars and drivers online....can anyone point me in the right direction (feel free to send me a message).
I just use Uber - so long as you can get a signal on your phone (network coverage is patchy/variable) then I find it works very well. Can't help in terms of drivers and guards, but if you're of that mind then I'd imagine your company/host company can sort you one out

- Traffic. I understand that in the last few years the traffic in Lagos has improved - are the Google Map timings to be believed, or should I had a few hours onto every journey?

Thanks for any advice
It doesn't feel like it! Actually, sometimes it can be very good, but you need to plan on its being terrible, especially when heading to the airport. Certainly I wouldn't plan on doing Badagry for the day, and last month it took me 2.5 hours from Lekki to Ikeja (33km, Google Maps suggests 1 hour) at lunchtime...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold

I was just in Lagos yesterday. I'm guessing you're staying the Lekki area, as that's where most of the upper scale hotels are. The Lekki Conservation is interesting, there's a very tall canopy walk, an old tortoise and a tall tree house. It's a nice escape from Lagos. There's also the Nike Art Gallery, which is nice. Elegushi Beach (near the art gallery) has a run aground ship on the beach, which isn't something you see everyday.

If you're feeling really adventurous, get a driver/guard and have them take you to Makoko. It's a village (very very poor) on the mainland part of Lagos and consists of a bunch of homes built on stilts on the water and everyone get's around on canoes. That was one of my most unique experiences in Nigeria, but it's likely not doable without a guide/guard to help you negotiate/get around, etc.

I have contacts in Nigeria that arranged transportation and security for me. In Lagos, we used Bell Protocols. The guy that runs it, Fred, is awesome. I'm not sure on pricing or anything as I wasn't the one that paid, but he was great to have around. I'd feel fine using Uber to/from LOS, along with around Lekki and Victoria Island, but I wouldn't venture to Makoko without a guide/security.

Traffic is pretty bad. It took us over two hours last week to get from Victoria Island to LOS, but Macron was in town, so roads were closed and traffic was backed up. I'd budget about 90 minutes to get to the airport from Victoria Island/Lekki to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't head over to Badagry. Road conditions are poor and it's a pretty shanty border town, not to mention, it's about a 3 hour drive. Here's a list below of the places I visited (no particular order)...

Lagos/Victoria Island:
Nike Art Gallery
Lekki Conservation Center
Elegushi Beach (ship on the beach)
Balogun Market
National Museum Lagos (has the car Murtala Mohammad was assassinated in)

Mainland:
Makoko Floating Village

For food on VI, RSVP Lagos and Yellow Chilli are both great. The latter being much less expensive.

You're welcome to message me if you have any other questions!
shefgab and bitterproffit like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses guys

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I just use Uber - so long as you can get a signal on your phone (network coverage is patchy/variable) then I find it works very well. Can't help in terms of drivers and guards, but if you're of that mind then I'd imagine your company/host company can sort you one out
I hadn't even realised there was Uber there - I presume it's reliable and safe? It's hard as a first timer to gauge just how dangerous it is, as a lot of companies err on the side of caution in terms of advice for employees. There'll be two of us (guy and a girl).

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
It doesn't feel like it! Actually, sometimes it can be very good, but you need to plan on its being terrible, especially when heading to the airport. Certainly I wouldn't plan on doing Badagry for the day, and last month it took me 2.5 hours from Lekki to Ikeja (33km, Google Maps suggests 1 hour) at lunchtime...
OK, Badagry is off the list this time!

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I was just in Lagos yesterday. I'm guessing you're staying the Lekki area, as that's where most of the upper scale hotels are. The Lekki Conservation is interesting, there's a very tall canopy walk, an old tortoise and a tall tree house. It's a nice escape from Lagos. There's also the Nike Art Gallery, which is nice. Elegushi Beach (near the art gallery) has a run aground ship on the beach, which isn't something you see everyday.

I have contacts in Nigeria that arranged transportation and security for me. In Lagos, we used Bell Protocols. The guy that runs it, Fred, is awesome. I'm not sure on pricing or anything as I wasn't the one that paid, but he was great to have around. I'd feel fine using Uber to/from LOS, along with around Lekki and Victoria Island, but I wouldn't venture to Makoko without a guide/security.

Traffic is pretty bad. It took us over two hours last week to get from Victoria Island to LOS, but Macron was in town, so roads were closed and traffic was backed up. I'd budget about 90 minutes to get to the airport from Victoria Island/Lekki to be on the safe side.
I'm staying up near the airport, so Lekki is the other end of town I guess. Do you have any contact details for Bell Protocol? I couldn't find their website :/

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Lagos/Victoria Island:
Nike Art Gallery
Lekki Conservation Center
Elegushi Beach (ship on the beach)
Balogun Market
National Museum Lagos (has the car Murtala Mohammad was assassinated in)

Mainland:
Makoko Floating Village

For food on VI, RSVP Lagos and Yellow Chilli are both great. The latter being much less expensive.

You're welcome to message me if you have any other questions!
Thanks for that list
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Thanks for the responses guys
I hadn't even realised there was Uber there - I presume it's reliable and safe? It's hard as a first timer to gauge just how dangerous it is, as a lot of companies err on the side of caution in terms of advice for employees. There'll be two of us (guy and a girl).
Better than taxis - new American/Canadian cars and good drivers.

In the spare time that I had, I ended up wandering around the center of Lagos island - not much to see there, but you do get a sense of the city. Most of the stares were that of amazement that a white person would wonder by themselves there. At the end I did have an incident where two guys tried to grab my phone as I was waiting for my uber. Unfortunately unlike on VI there are no cafes to wait in - so I wouldn't advise walking around there unless you know what you're doing.

FWIW VI is perfectly safe to wander around. Though there's not much to see, there are plenty of places to have a nice and relaxing lunch.

This was a neat little jazz-themed bookstore that's near VI.
Because it's rainy season, you probably won't want to visit any beaches. Otherwise, anything on Lekki is decent. Also, there are some nice beaches on the other side of the bay - you'd have to take a boat to go there.
PM me if you want some lunch spots.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
How did the trip go? Curious as to what you were able to do.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:02 pm
hln

The Atican beach was a great place to relax
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very interesting thread, thanks for all the contributions. Lagos has been on my list for ages just because it isnt on most peoples! Would be great to hear the OPs experience as a first timer
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Very interesting thread, thanks for all the contributions. Lagos has been on my list for ages just because it isnt on most peoples! Would be great to hear the OPs experience as a first timer
Honestly, there are much better places in W. Africa that are much more interesting in terms of off-the-beaten path tourism. For tourism purposes, Lagos is worth a day at most.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I ended up booking a hotel car for around 40 for the day with a driver. We drove straight to Lekki (IIRC around 4 entrance) which took around 90 minutes from near the airport. You have to join a tour, and there was a half hour or so wait. There's a small depressing cafe (bring your own snacks!), and a few information boards around the centre about the flora and fauna. The tour was more an employee leading a group of tourists (a few locals, a few expat families, a few Nigerians living in the UK visiting family) along the walkway than doing any active guiding.

The walk around the centre was FAR better than I had hoped for (as i'd done little research on what the conservation centre actually involved), with long sections over a swampy area filled with monkeys, before getting to Africa's longest suspended walkway through the rain forest (you have to pay a little extra to do this). To walk all the trails took around 45-60 minutes depending on your pace (the guide vanished after a while, so we were free to wander).

Other than monkeys, we didn't see a whole lot of other animals, but we were happy to just enjoy the walk and sights and smells of the forest.

On the way back, we asked to stop by the beach (which looked very close to the main road). Bit of an error as the 300m section to the coast took around 20 minutes of dodging potholes, and the beach when we arrived was not the paradise we were hoping for! Anyway, we got a few photos and headed back to the hotel, via KFC for an very non-local lunch!

We considered going into the city to have a look around as we had the car and driver for the whole day, but decided to play it safe and head back to the hotel, rather than risk getting stuck in rush hour traffic for the sake of an Instagram photo. Overall it was a great excursion, and much more enjoyable than sitting by the hotel pool waiting for a midnight flight.

I was a little worried about security before I went, with this being my first time in Western Africa. Now that I'm back, i'm pretty reassured that it's fairly safe - no armed guards necessary! I'm now planning a little trip to Benin for September - any advice for that?!

Thanks again for the input from you all!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.